PDA

View Full Version : You don't get anything free in life

Kyobanim
03-19-2013, 18:06
He gets it.

Think you have a lousy commute? Don't complain to Santiago Munoz.

The New York City 14-year-old spent five hours a day on subways and buses to get to his elite high school, earning him recognition in a United Nations exhibition about the world's longest school commutes.

His days of waking up at 5 a.m. are over, though. Last week, the freshman moved to a new public-housing complex that's closer to the prestigious Bronx High School of Science, and now it only takes him an hour and 10 minutes to get to class.

"I used to take two buses and two trains," Munoz said Tuesday. "It was two and a half hours each way."

He said "some people thought I was crazy" to make the long journey from the Far Rockaway section of Queens to the Bronx when he could have gone to a high school closer to home, but he put education over convenience.

"Bronx Science is a great school and has a great reputation and I just wanted to push myself forward," said Munoz, who hopes to become a doctor.

Munoz's daily odyssey was featured in a United Nations exhibit that also highlighted a Kenyan girl who walked two hours to school, Brazilian children who ride mules, and a Thai girl who walks 40 minutes to board a crowded rickshaw.

The math whiz said that after housing officials saw a New York Post story about his plight, they offered his family a transfer.

A spokeswoman for the New York City Housing Authority said that since his previous apartment was affected by super storm Sandy, Munoz was eligible for a move.

Now that he's in north Brooklyn, he said, "I'm getting more sleep and I'm more productive."

A member of the math team, he hopes he can play some sports and hang out with friends more with all that extra time on his hand.

While he's thrilled to be traveling less, he said he would have continued to endure the longer trek for the chance to graduate from a school that counts eight Nobel Prize winners among its alumni.

"You don't get anything free in life," he said.

Story (http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/03/19/17374166-kid-with-one-of-worlds-longest-school-commutes-gets-some-relief?lite)

The Reaper
03-19-2013, 18:36
He gets it.

Story (http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/03/19/17374166-kid-with-one-of-worlds-longest-school-commutes-gets-some-relief?lite)

...Last week, the freshman moved to a new public-housing complex....

"You don't get anything free in life," he said."

Hmm.

TR

Box
03-19-2013, 18:55
Hmm.

TR

Priceless

cbtengr
03-19-2013, 19:14
Hmm.

TR

I guess at 14 he cannot see the forest for the trees, if he will just grow up to be a productive contributing member of society I will be happy. You know pay it back.

Kyobanim
03-19-2013, 19:17
Well, he's 14 and doesn't make the living decisions. I'd say good on him for making the trek 5 hours a day to try to make something of himself.

Peregrino
03-19-2013, 20:09
TANSTAAFL - What a novel concept. Since he appears to understand the principle and is willing to sacrifice to incorporate it into his own life (and eventually reap the rewards), I wish him luck in his endeavors.

GratefulCitizen
03-19-2013, 20:39
This guy seems to "get it" because he is receiving help and multiplying the result through additional efforts.
This is entirely different than someone who receives and then uses it to scale back their efforts.

He is an example of someone who is truly being "helped".
Unfortunately, most take the other path and are being "enabled".

Box
03-20-2013, 04:20
Good on the kid for going to school instead of selling crack and robbing his neighbors...
...but that "moved into free housing" followed by the "nothing is free" quote is still a pretty damn definable snapshot at the current state of what our culture does/does not see as "free". Not to mention the free/not free angle completely overshadowed the "work hard everyday and it will pay off in the long run" angle.

...also, the idea that a kid is being praised as a hero for going to school is a pretty good snapshot of our nations expectations of our youth.

But yes, I concur: Santiago Munoz is well on his way to being a productive adult and should be used as an example for his peers to follow.

cat in the hat
03-21-2013, 14:27
TANSTAAFL indeed.

I too hope he goes on to be a productive citizen and hopefully even remembers to help out another person someday.

TANSTAAFL - What a novel concept. Since he appears to understand the principle and is willing to sacrifice to incorporate it into his own life (and eventually reap the rewards), I wish him luck in his endeavors.

Cobwebs
03-21-2013, 18:23
Excellent.. This guy seems to "get it" because he is receiving help and multiplying the result through additional efforts.
This is entirely different than someone who receives and then uses it to scale back their efforts.

He is an example of someone who is truly being "helped".
Unfortunately, most take the other path and are being "enabled".