PDA

View Full Version : Concealed carry for women.

alelks
03-17-2013, 09:39
Some options for carry.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=16e_1363482003

Ambush Master
03-17-2013, 10:48
Good Link!!

PSM
03-17-2013, 12:15
That's Falia from faliaphotography: http://www.youtube.com/user/faliaphotography

She has a lot of good stuff for women on there. Her vid on how to pick a first gun was very helpful for my wife.

Pat

kcphoenix
03-17-2013, 15:05
Thank you,Sir. I will put this knowledge to good use! :)

medic&commo
03-18-2013, 07:24
Excellent. I'll pass this on to the women I teach CCW.
Always looking for well done, informed videos to show to the class.
m&c

Streck-Fu
03-18-2013, 08:17
She has several videos on Youtube. My wife watched several when trying to decide on a holster or two. Her reviews were very helpful......and I didn't mind watching either....just to verify the information....:cool:

cgcyclist
05-04-2013, 12:49
Greetings Pistol Shooters,

I currently use a Glock 9 mm as my concealed carry weapon, but find it too bulky. I seek your recommendations for a better choice. I viewed the video on holsters and liked those options for housing the weapon. However, I need a new weapon before seeking a holster. I am 5'5", weigh 116 pounds and have small hands, so I do not have any places to hide a large pistol, nor the ability to comfortably hold a fat grip.

I am also looking to purchase a reloader for 9 mm ammo. I shoot local matches with a Springfield Armory XDM 9 mm 5.25 and need to keep my costs down.

May I hear your suggestions for this new equipment please? Thanks, cgcyclist

PSM
05-04-2013, 12:56

I currently use a Glock 9 mm as my concealed carry weapon, but find it too bulky. I seek your recommendations for a better choice. I viewed the video on holsters and liked those options for housing the weapon. However, I need a new weapon before seeking a holster. I am 5'5", weigh 116 pounds and have small hands, so I do not have any places to hide a large pistol, nor the ability to comfortably hold a fat grip.

I am also looking to purchase a reloader for 9 mm ammo. I shoot local matches with a Springfield Armory XDM 9 mm 5.25 and need to keep my costs down.

Did you check out the videos in the links above. She is even smaller than you.

Pat

Team Sergeant
05-04-2013, 12:56
I moved this to the weapons discussion area.

SF18C
05-04-2013, 12:57
Check into XDs, I hear there is a 9mm model coming!

My wife likes my XDs in .45.

Team Sergeant
05-04-2013, 13:02
Check into XDs, I hear there is a 9mm model coming!

My wife likes my XDs in .45.

9mm XD already out!

http://www.springfield-armory.com/xd.php?version=59

The Reaper
05-04-2013, 13:18
9mm XD already out!

http://www.springfield-armory.com/xd.php?version=59

Yep, handled it at SHOT.

Nice piece.

That link is to the XD Subcompact though, not the XDS.

http://xdspistol.com/

Not showing the XDS in 9mm on the SA website yet though.

All other things being equal, I think I would rather have 6 rounds of .45 ACP than 8 rounds of 9x19, unless the recoil was difficult to manage in the .45.

TR

SF18C
05-04-2013, 14:13
http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xd-s-discussion-room/235239-picked-up-9mm-xds-today.html

MR2
05-04-2013, 14:15
Wife likes the XDm 5.25 9mm, waiting on the XDs 9mm to become available for her CC.

Both of us are using Grip exercisers for better performance using the XDs .45.

Played with a HP .45 w 5" barrel yesterday - I see why TS likes them so much. (but I can buy a set of Springfield's for that HP price...).

Team Sergeant
05-04-2013, 15:04
Wife likes the XDm 5.25 9mm, waiting on the XDs 9mm to become available for her CC.

Played with a HP .45 w 5" barrel yesterday - I see why TS likes them so much. (but I can buy a set of Springfield's for that HP price...).

You mean HK? They are pricey but that's what the best pistol in the world costs! ;)

koz
05-04-2013, 18:33

I got to shoot the Springfield XDs 9mm and it's very nice, thin and concealable. I'm not sure when it will be released but it is on my to buy list.

Reloading:
That's entire thread on it's own. I own/owned a Lee 1000, Dillon 550B, Dillon XL650, Hornady L&L AP, and a RCBS Pro 2000.

Costs aside, I'd get the Dillon 650 or the Hornady AP. The Hornady is better for rifles and the Dillon better for pistols. But you're going to drop a fair amount of money for the initial press, case feeder, caliber conversions, etc...

If you're only going to load 9mm, 38, 40, 45 - I'd consider the Lee 1000. In a lot of reloading circles, Lee is considered sub-par but I loaded over 100,000 rounds with mine and have given it away (to a friend) and it's still in use. I believe he's loaded at least another 15-20k rounds on it. The cost of the press is about the same as the Dillon caliber conversion. The case feeder is low cost compared to the couple hundred of the Dillon & Hornady.

Pretty much everything is out of stock right now but hopefully in a 6-8 months things will begin to ease a little (but I'm not optimistic).

Precision Delta is a great source for bullets. Their prices include shipping.
PowderValley, Grafs, Wideners, Natchez Shooters supply and Sinclair are all good places for powder / primers but again nothing is in stock right now. Start saving your brass now. Hit the local stores for bullets, powder & primers. The big stores (Bass Pro, Cabelas, etc) are still getting supplies but just limited quantities.

ES 96
05-07-2013, 03:57

I'm sure as TS noted, you probably meant H&K, but you reminded me of this beast:

NAACO Brigadier (Canadian upscaled Hi-Power clone). It's in .45 alright... .45 Win Mag. :D

The_Mentalist
06-24-2013, 07:58
Another option for smaller individuals are the Walthers. The PP, PPK, and PPKS will work well for any one with a small body and hands. For a less expensive alternative of a pistol that is extremely similar to these Walthers would be the Bersa line of pistols. They are much less expensive and of more than sufficient quality to be trustworthy in a CCW situation. I do, however, recommend staying away from the Bersa Thunder CC. It has trough sights with orange dots painted on. The one I had in hand had the rear dots misaligned and shot low when using the front dot instead of the ramp. Also, these dots are not night sight useable. They are merely painted orange for daytime use. The original thunder and the thunder 9 are both great guns for the price.

A compact 1911 (if she can deal with the recoil) is also a great option. Not to mention that holster availability for the 1911 series is extremely well covered by all manufacturers. Just stay away from the freebie kydex paddles some include with the gun. They are fine for range use, but I don't like them for carry purposes.