PDA

View Full Version : Why modern soldiers are more susceptible to suicide ...

UWOA (RIP)
03-02-2013, 10:35
http://www.news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/why-modern-soldiers-are-more-susceptible-to-suicide

A very thought provoking piece that only exposes the tip of the iceberg. If we are to be successful at reducing this sad statistic leaders have to train minds about more than just combat and screen recruits for more than aptitude, while not surrendering to a "touchy-feely" syndrome.

Then again, it's a cursory analysis ... I didn't go thru the same problems when I came back from overseas at a time when the military didn't enjoy the same support that it does today so I can't speak with any authority based on personal experience. But it doesn't make me want to resolve the issue any less.

DarkFungus
03-02-2013, 10:55
The link is not working UWOA. Not saying we can't find it at the main site, just letting you know.

Edit: Searching usnews.com isn't bringing anything useful up for "Why modern soldiers are more susceptible to suicide" or using less specific searches.

Snaquebite
03-02-2013, 11:06
http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/why-modern-soldiers-are-more-susceptible-to-suicide

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/03/02/17148761-why-modern-soldiers-are-more-susceptible-to-suicide

UWOA (RIP)
03-02-2013, 11:33
The link is not working UWOA. Not saying we can't find it at the main site, just letting you know.

Edit: Searching usnews.com isn't bringing anything useful up for "Why modern soldiers are more susceptible to suicide" or using less specific searches.

Sorry about the SNAFU. Did it off my Android. Should have checked to see that it worked. My bad.

Have revised my posting SOP to avoid further malfunctions.

frostfire
03-04-2013, 09:00
Some legitimate points in the article over self-esteem generation, etc.

I see the problem stemming from open-wide recruiting once the two wars picked up. The army recruits from a society that places stress and depression as top health problems. Thus, is there any wonder if the general population stats is then reflected in army ranks. When I come across privates straight from AIT with Zoloft, Wellbutrin, and other psych drug, I wonder how MEPS screened these men and women. Once they are exposed to further stress by time in service, discipline, deployment, war, death/near-death, no one shoud be surprised by the outcome.

Beef
03-04-2013, 10:09
As stated by BrushOkie, there is no single cause. IMHO, one factor that ties in with the "entitlement generation" is passiveness taught these kids from birth. All the zero tolerance for fighting and aggressive behavior that is drilled into these kids from preschool through high school. When I was growing up the only boys who had not been in a fist fight by the time they graduated were the most timid or the biggest, strongest kids that never were challenged. Currently, In our local public schools, more females are arrested by the school district police than males.

The Marine Corps has noted and commented upon this lack of aggressive spirit in this generation of new recruits. There is an extreme reluctance to punch another recruit during combatives training in many. So in addition to depression, survivors guilt and other symptoms of PTSD, they also have to overcome having broken strong moral taboos that were drilled into them their whole life. They have to overcome the "I'm a bad person for what I did" feelings. Some apparently just can't.

Just my opinion...

Crue
03-05-2013, 14:09
Some legitimate points in the article over self-esteem generation, etc.

I see the problem stemming from open-wide recruiting once the two wars picked up. The army recruits from a society that places stress and depression as top health problems. Thus, is there any wonder if the general population stats is then reflected in army ranks. When I come across privates straight from AIT with Zoloft, Wellbutrin, and other psych drug, I wonder how MEPS screened these men and women. Once they are exposed to further stress by time in service, discipline, deployment, war, death/near-death, no one shoud be surprised by the outcome.

Every-time I see an article about suicides and the Military I always look to see if the mention the comparable stats of civilians. They never do. If they attempt to they never take into account the majority of the Military is young (18-29?) males.

I in no way am saying any suicides in the Military are "ok" ( we have better leaders and should be a lot lower) but if we really looked at the numbers the civilian suicide rate for the same demographics it is not that different than it is for the Military.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2013/02/02/but-there-isnt-an-epidemic-of-suicide-in-the-us-military/