PDA

View Full Version : Learning Arabic prior to enlistment

kkillert0fu
02-19-2013, 14:15
Is it a good idea to begin learning a language, particularly Arabic, prior to enlisting?

As it stands now, due to personal circumstances, Summer 2014 will be the first opportunity I'll have to approach a recruiter and begin the enlistment process. From now until then I would like to embark on a serious language study program. I am already an intermediate Spanish speaker and can attain fluency relatively easy. I would also like to begin studying Arabic and hopefully attain fluency by then as well. Being a little older, I want to bring something to the table when the time comes. I have a BA and would have no issue in beginning a language study program.

My concern is this: Given recent events related to gun violence, military and law enforcement personnel are going to become extremely stringent in their psychological screening processes for new recruits. And while on the outside studying a Middle Eastern language might seem okay, to put it bluntly, I don't want to appear suspicious in any way. I'm concerned now that this idea might backfire on me and eliminate my opportunity before it even comes.

I wouldn't have asked this question a year ago, but people are acting too crazy right now. I think as a society we are all going to more cautious about who we can actually trust. Because really, who can say anywhere is safe anymore?

Please advise me on whether or not this is a good idea.

Thanks

ZonieDiver
02-19-2013, 14:55
Horse first.

Cart second.

Always a good rule to follow.

Dusty
02-19-2013, 16:36
What-you think you're going to come across as suspicious because you learn Arabic?

That's just plain paranoid.

kkillert0fu
02-19-2013, 23:28
Understood