PDA

View Full Version : Glock Mag Capacity Reduction?

11Ber
02-18-2013, 09:49
All:

Need a little help here. My father, who lives up in the communist state of Maryland, is looking to pick up a G17. He went to a local shop and put a deposit down and is now waiting on the gun to arrive and his paperwork to clear. He received a call from the shop saying that they received 3 G17'. However, according to the shop Glock has reduced mag capacity to 10 rounds from 17 in the G17 in preparation for changing laws. I told him I thought this sounded ridiculous and proceeded to call Glock USA. I spoke to a women and was told resoundingly NO, they had not reduced capacity.

I told my Dad that I feel maybe the dealer is pulling 17 round mags out to potentially sell later for a higher cost. He is a pretty optimistic guy who takes people at their word. I give him credit for not being suspicious of everyone but I don't like the smell of this.

Has anyone heard of or experienced anything like this recently?

Sorry for the jacked up format...using my wife' MacBook and feel lost
11Ber

Streck-Fu
02-18-2013, 09:55
Maryland's restriction is at 20 rounds per magazine, right?

However, according to the shop Glock has reduced mag capacity to 10 rounds from 17 in the G17 in preparation for changing laws.

The dealer is trying to switch them and it should not be tolerated if it isn't the law yet...

In my experience, the manufacturers and distributors will not send a firearm to a state if it does not conform to their laws.

Ambush Master
02-18-2013, 09:58
It might be the Distributor that they are getting it from also!! I'm sure that there are a LOT of Supply Side Folks out there that are STUCK with 10rd'ers from the last go-round that would be taking advantage of this interim period!!

Later
Martin

koz
02-18-2013, 10:06
It's probably a "White Label" Glock. Glock's come in three color labels -

Blue - (LEO/Miltary) which comes with 3 high capacity magazines
Red - Normal commercial sales which comes with 2 high capacity magazines.
White - G26/27 etc.. or guns that are for Communist states, (CA, CT, etc..) that come with two 10 rd magazines.

The guns are all the same just different magazines. If you buy thru the military / LE id program, you get the Blue Label.

Streck-Fu
02-18-2013, 10:08
^^^Good point....

11ber,
Since you father ordered through the shop, and the shop received a handgun with restricted magazines, either refuse the purchase or ask the the shop to replace with standard magazines.

If he still wants the gun, he could ask for a steep discount and source the standard mags himself.

Just for comparison, Bud's Gun shop only has the 10 round G17s in stock (LINK (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/21_43/Glock/)). Bud's also shows many "Preferred dealers" in Maryland so if this shop gives him a hard time, he should be able to find another. LINK (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/ffl.php)

booker
02-18-2013, 11:32
Most dealers in our area can only get the 10 rounders these days, apparently all the others are on back order, although part of me is leaning toward the dealer keeping the 17s to himself to sell later...

Utah Bob
02-18-2013, 19:13
Very very hard to find hi cap mags now. The dealer probably sold the 17s for a hefty profit on Gunbroker and replaced them with 10s.:mad:

The Reaper
02-18-2013, 21:23
Sounds like a rip-off attempt to me. You could always buy a G17 with the high cap mags and resell it to him via a MD FFL.

Personally, I gave up on the Glock thing and went with the Springfield Armory XDM.

A little more money, but a significantly better gun, IMHO.

I backordered a couple of extra normal capacity mags in January, and they were delivered last week.

Your call though.

TR

Snaquebite
02-18-2013, 21:52
I'd get my deposit back (not what I ordered) and find a different dealer.

CSB
02-18-2013, 22:30
By the way, I've had the same experience with 13 round capacity Springfield Armory .45 caliber XD's. They come with two magazines, (and two magazine carriers, plus a clip holster) and are supposed to be 13 round (except in Kalifornia). Recently I saw them in Kentucky with 2 x 10 round magazines. I suspect switcheroo.

11Ber
02-19-2013, 06:00
Thanks for all the replies. I didn't know about the differing levels of Glock pistols. I've informed my father and the decision is his. Dealer is Capital Guns in Rockville.

pcfixer
02-19-2013, 12:33
http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2013RS/bills/sb/sb0281F.pdf

This is ONE of the many bills in house and senate of Md GA that
would recduce magazines to 10 rounds.

House Bill
http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmMain.aspx?pid=billpage&tab=subject3&id=hb0107&stab=01&ys=2013RS

booker
02-19-2013, 14:54
Sounds like a rip-off attempt to me. You could always buy a G17 with the high cap mags and resell it to him via a MD FFL.

Personally, I gave up on the Glock thing and went with the Springfield Armory XDM.

A little more money, but a significantly better gun, IMHO.

I backordered a couple of extra normal capacity mags in January, and they were delivered last week.

Your call though.

TR

TR, I looked into the XDM, seems to fit the bill. How do you like it?

The Reaper
02-19-2013, 18:52
TR, I looked into the XDM, seems to fit the bill. How do you like it?

I like mine a lot, but it is the XDM 5.25 or Competition model.

19 rounds of 9x19 in the standard capacity mag, so it isn't a very concealable piece, but it runs like a top and is very accurate.

I wouldn't mind having another one in .45 ACP.

Hope that helps.

TR

koz
02-19-2013, 21:30
I've got one in 45ACP. It's a nice gun. They (XD's) are very reliable and I have no issue carrying one for personal defense.

MtnGoat
02-22-2013, 13:29
Thanks for all the replies. I didn't know about the differing levels of Glock pistols. I've informed my father and the decision is his. Dealer is Capital Guns in Rockville.

This dealer have a facebook page.. Seems his page needs some new wallpaper!! Just saying

Stiletto11
02-24-2013, 16:07
Anyone have the new XDS?

jbour13
02-25-2013, 00:59
Sounds like a shitty dealer thing too.

RSR and Accusport are the two biggest distributors in that area.

Give them a call or visit their websites to see if they have intentionally placed 10 rounders into their supply chains for that specific state.

When we ordered guns from them, we got what we ordered. Regardless of the ban or standing in place. We did sales and support to federal agencies, that may have provided a better chance for us.

Have your father or you can call and ask who the distribution agency is. If you feel that it's wrong, give them a call. Vendors don't necessarily care about the end user as they deal in volume, but they might have already gotten a few complaints about this specific dealer.

Badger52
02-25-2013, 08:11
Yep, disingenuous dealer. Glock made the 10-round POS mag ONLY in deference to the various bans back in the AWB and state laws that remained.

Unless there is a law CURRENTLY in effect requiring that my first suspicion is that the dealer is plugging in a couple of the degraded-capacity 10-rounders and will sell off the standard mags. The gun to a standard civ purchase comes with TWO standard capacity mags. Nothing less should be in the box at time of purchase unless & until there is a state law prohibiting the FFL from doing that.

If the dealer has that box sitting on their counter as it came from Accusport or whoever AND they want the sale, they need to shit 2 standard cap mags to put in the box, and then broker the POS items to Kali or something. Their problem, not the purchaser's.

It's BS. Personally I'd vote with my money & walk to another dealer unless he makes it right.