PDA

View Full Version : The universe is back in balance

Utah Bob
02-17-2013, 19:10
Maker's Mark reverses their decision. (http://www.nbcnews.com/business/makers-mark-stop-watering-down-its-whiskey-1C8410338)
That was a close one!:D

JJ_BPK
02-18-2013, 06:04
That was a close one!:D

I'm thinking this is kinda squirrely..

The best Scotch Whisky is aged longer,, in the barrel. As it ages the alcohol evaporates thru the barrel. This mellows the whisky and gives it those wonderful flavors,, by design.

It's called, Maturation: The whisky is left a minimum of three years but usually between 8 and 25 years in wooden barrels to mature. The bonded warehouses are cool and earth-floored to provide an even temperature and humidity. The barrels lose about 2% alcohol per annum - the so-called 'angel's share'.

A great Whisky is not measured by the alcohol level but by the flavors imparted by the aging process..

So,, the idea of lowering the alcohol level via dilution is very counter productive.. Why would you do that??

SF_BHT
02-18-2013, 06:20
I'm thinking this is kinda squirrely..

The best Scotch Whisky is aged longer,, in the barrel. As it ages the alcohol evaporates thru the barrel. This mellows the whisky and gives it those wonderful flavors,, by design.

It's called, Maturation: The whisky is left a minimum of three years but usually between 8 and 25 years in wooden barrels to mature. The bonded warehouses are cool and earth-floored to provide an even temperature and humidity. The barrels lose about 2% alcohol per annum - the so-called 'angel's share'.

A great Whisky is not measured by the alcohol level but by the flavors imparted by the aging process..

So,, the idea of lowering the alcohol level via dilution is very counter productive.. Why would you do that??

JJ

When they prepare the bourbon and blend all the barrels they also dilute them to bring down the proof to the standard level for that product. That is how they produce the same proof over and over. If they do a single barrel batch it is what it comes out of that barrel. It will vary per barrel and the proof will be labeled per batch. I have some very good single barrel bottles from Wild Turkey and some other brands and each bottle are different proof's. They are all great but they vary since they are not dilluted to make the proof standard.

Makers is a small distillery and they have no room to expand due to the location. They were struggling with a demand issue and grasping at ways to serve the customers. The customers spoke and they actually listened. What a novel idea today. I am glad as I have always had makers as part of my bar and would not want to change. They have a good product and do not need to change.

My parents grew up near there and have known the family all my life. Makers was the first Bourbon I ever snuck around and tried as a young one. I would be disappointed if they messed with a good thing.

JJ_BPK
02-18-2013, 06:31
I need to get some,, I don't think I have ever had or know of a friend that drinks MM.. Thanks..

Utah Bob
02-18-2013, 09:57
I need to get some,, I don't think I have ever had or know of a friend that drinks MM.. Thanks..

Let us know what you think.
After trying most everything I decided Mm and Bulleit would always have a spot in my cabinet.
I never watch an episode of Justified without it close at hand. :D

PSM
03-28-2013, 11:59
Let us know what you think.
After trying most everything I decided Mm and Bulleit would always have a spot in my cabinet.
:D

It's funny, my wife picked up some Bulleit at Costco because it was the cheapest. I use it to make Bourbon Candied Pecans. Being that it was so cheap, I never bothered to taste it. Boy, was I surprised. Amazing what you can learn on PS.com! :lifter

Pat