PDA

View Full Version : New scope for rifle

Guymullins
02-14-2013, 14:15
Gearing up for the hunting season, I put a new scope on my rifle. The old 4 X Tasco was getting a little too hazy for my eyes. The new one is a Leopold Vari X 3 and goes from 3-8 magnification or thereabouts. I put some old reject re-load solids through it to see how much adjustment would be needed and was pleasantly surprised with the results. Here is a 5 shot group of 300g monolithic solid brass heads at 100 yds.

blue02hd
02-14-2013, 14:23
Gearing up for the hunting season, I put a new scope on my rifle. The old 4 X Tasco was getting a little too hazy for my eyes. The new one is a Leopold Vari X 3 and goes from 3-8 magnification or thereabouts. I put some old reject re-load solids through it to see how much adjustment would be needed and was pleasantly surprised with the results. Here is a 5 shot group of 300g monolithic solid brass heads at 100 yds.

I'd say you were pretty much set. Nice picture and congratz!

What platform and caliber?

Guymullins
02-14-2013, 14:31
I'd say you were pretty much set. Nice picture and congratz!

What platform and caliber?

Blue, it is a Remington 700 from their Custom Shop in .375 H&H Magnum. I use it for all of my hunting nowadays even though I also have a very accurate Tikka .30-06.

blue02hd
02-14-2013, 14:41
Been meaning to get a bolt action for some time. You just put a fire under me,,,,

Guymullins
02-14-2013, 14:55
Been meaning to get a bolt action for some time. You just put a fire under me,,,,

I have had this rifle for many years and am very fond of it. I got it as a part payment on a debt, so didnt choose it. The only thing I have against it, and this is really theoretical, because I have never had any trouble from it, is that I would have preferred a positive feed and extraction bolt of the Mauser type. This is a little safer for dangerous game. The Remington has this little fingernail affair that is not nearly as robust as a big Mauser claw like the Winchester pre-64 has or the Rugers and CZs. The Remingtons accuracy cannot be faulted though and I think, is superior to the others. Its a very heavy rifle though, and a real bitch to carry for many miles in the heat of the day. It has a bull barrel and some lead in the butt to balance it out.

badshot
02-14-2013, 16:41
Here is a 5 shot group of 300g monolithic solid brass heads at 100 yds.

I'd say that's a fine grouping. Leopold's clarity is great!

Didn't even know a Tasco could handle that kind of recoil.

My preference is the Nikon Monarch's 2x7 32mm from Japan (other's made in Thailand or Philippines are good too) for weight, size, quick target acquisition, and durability...they are set on 4x. Imagine if you have lead in the stock it wouldn't matter...:)

Good Hunting

Rob_Frey
02-14-2013, 17:57
I use a Leupold 2.5 X 8 Vari-X III on my Rem. 700 in .260 Rem. for deer hunting. I like this scope a lot!

Guymullins
02-15-2013, 12:42
I'd say that's a fine grouping. Leopold's clarity is great!

Didn't even know a Tasco could handle that kind of recoil.

My preference is the Nikon Monarch's 2x7 from Japan for weight, size, quick target acquisition, and durability...they are set on 4x. Imagine if you have lead in the stock it wouldn't matter...:)

Good Hunting

The Tasco has lasted about fifteen years and many hundreds of rounds and its my eyes fading that made me get a new scope. I didnt really need it for the big stuff, but I hunt Springbok once a year in the Kalahari Desert and most shots are more than 200 yds, and the Springbok is a small animal.

Guymullins
02-15-2013, 12:47
I use a Leupold 2.5 X 8 Vari-X III on my Rem. 700 in .260 Rem. for deer hunting. I like this scope a lot!

The new Leupold is very good, except that I cannot get it mounted so as to avoid the sight picture developing a black halo on maximum magnification. If I get it any closer to my eye (even if I could) I am going to get a few black eyes from the recoil. I really dont want to change the mounts as they are quick release and ideal for dangerous game hunting when you want to very quickly go to open sights after using the scope.

Rob_Frey
02-15-2013, 15:35
The new Leupold is very good, except that I cannot get it mounted so as to avoid the sight picture developing a black halo on maximum magnification. If I get it any closer to my eye (even if I could) I am going to get a few black eyes from the recoil. I really dont want to change the mounts as they are quick release and ideal for dangerous game hunting when you want to very quickly go to open sights after using the scope.

What brand of mounts are you using?

Post a picture of the rifle with the scope and mounts, maybe there could be some suggestions people could offer then.

badshot
02-15-2013, 15:44
The Tasco has lasted about fifteen years and many hundreds of rounds and its my eyes fading that made me get a new scope. I didnt really need it for the big stuff, but I hunt Springbok once a year in the Kalahari Desert and most shots are more than 200 yds, and the Springbok is a small animal.

Impressive durability with the Tasco. Understand Springbok is a good hard hunt. And I thought my desert hunts were remote...grin

The new Leupold is very good, except that I cannot get it mounted so as to avoid the sight picture developing a black halo on maximum magnification. If I get it any closer to my eye (even if I could) I am going to get a few black eyes from the recoil.

That's my main beef with the Leupold, saw a farmer knocked out cold getting too close to one with a 30-06, and of course a bloody half circle. A friend of my wife broke her face last year with 7mm win mag though not sure of the scope brand. Imagine some can do it with anyone of them. Haven't had the pleasure myself, so far, thank goodness.

Hopefully Rob_Frey might able to provide some helpful insight

The Reaper
02-15-2013, 16:43
Impressive durability with the Tasco. Understand Springbok is a good hard hunt. And I thought my desert hunts were remote...grin

That's my main beef with the Leupold, saw a farmer knocked out cold getting too close to one with a 30-06, and of course a bloody half circle. A friend of my wife broke her face last year with 7mm win mag though not sure of the scope brand. Imagine some can do it with anyone of them. Haven't had the pleasure myself, so far, thank goodness.

Hopefully Rob_Frey might able to provide some helpful insight

Eye relief is an optical tradeoff for enhanced field of view and magnification.

TR

badshot
02-15-2013, 16:47
Eye relief is an optical tradeoff for enhanced field of view and magnification.
TR

Thanks Reaper, didn't know that and it makes sense.

craigepo
02-15-2013, 22:06

Nice group for those huge rounds. What kind of big stuff are you going to be hunting?

Guymullins
02-16-2013, 03:55
Nice group for those huge rounds. What kind of big stuff are you going to be hunting?

Cape Buffalo in March and maybe a problem elephant later in the year if one pops up when I am free.

Guymullins
02-16-2013, 03:59
What brand of mounts are you using?

Post a picture of the rifle with the scope and mounts, maybe there could be some suggestions people could offer then.

Rob, I dont know what make they are, there seems to be no branding on them. I will post a pic tonight. They came with a Redfield scope (which I gave away because the eye relief was insufficient) so may be Redfield?

Guymullins
02-16-2013, 10:38
Rob, I dont know what make they are, there seems to be no branding on them. I will post a pic tonight. They came with a Redfield scope (which I gave away because the eye relief was insufficient) so may be Redfield?

Here they are. As you can see, a small lever on the side allows you to unlock the mount with a half turn, then it can be swivelled off a bayonet mount at the front. Very quick and easy.

Rob_Frey
02-16-2013, 14:39
One more pic showing the bottoms of the rings please.

But I think you could get an extension ring for the front and bring it back a little more if the front ring is like I think it is on the bottom.

Guymullins
02-17-2013, 01:03
One more pic showing the bottoms of the rings please.

But I think you could get an extension ring for the front and bring it back a little more if the front ring is like I think it is on the bottom.

OK, here we are.

badshot
02-17-2013, 01:27
OK, here we are.

Looks like a Redfield to me...

Rob_Frey
02-17-2013, 21:35
"Looks like a Redfield to me... " - Me too.

I think an extension ring set will work. I know it sucks to buy both front and rear, but I don't know who will sell just the front one.

Redfield:

http://www.brownells.com/optics-mounting/scope-rings-amp-mount-sets/scope-rings/redfield-extension-ring-sets-prod10065.aspx

Leupold (fourth set down):

http://www.brownells.com/optics-mounting/scope-rings-amp-mount-sets/scope-rings/rings-bases-prod7798.aspx

I've used these before, you will want to put a 1" rod in the front ring tightly to work the dovetail into the front base so it will fit properly and move when you want to remove the scope. Don't use the scope to get it started, or you may bend/break it.

Guymullins
02-18-2013, 05:23
"Looks like a Redfield to me... " - Me too.

I think an extension ring set will work. I know it sucks to buy both front and rear, but I don't know who will sell just the front one.

Redfield:

http://www.brownells.com/optics-mounting/scope-rings-amp-mount-sets/scope-rings/redfield-extension-ring-sets-prod10065.aspx

Leupold (fourth set down):

http://www.brownells.com/optics-mounting/scope-rings-amp-mount-sets/scope-rings/rings-bases-prod7798.aspx

I've used these before, you will want to put a 1" rod in the front ring tightly to work the dovetail into the front base so it will fit properly and move when you want to remove the scope. Don't use the scope to get it started, or you may bend/break it.

Thank you very much for this info. I am not sure that only .66 on an inch backwards movement will be enough to give me a full sight picture but I will now try it out using pressstick on the scope and rail. My other option is to have the butt cut down and this would not upset me at all because the rifle already has a but extension on it which is a bit unsightly anyway.

Rob_Frey
02-18-2013, 14:59
Having your L.O.P. (length of pull) correct will make a difference. Do that first.

Divemaster
03-10-2013, 00:04
Having your L.O.P. (length of pull) correct will make a difference. Do that first.

^ This.

You don't always have to trade eye relief for magnification. Set the rifle/scope up properly and get rid of that halo. And part of that set up just may be adjusting LOP. I am a huge fan of the VX-3. I have one on my Rem 700 .300 Win Mag and that scope is better than my eyes. My wife has a Nikon Monarch on her .30-06 and I just love that scope too. For a .375 is it possible you have too much magnification for dugga boys and problem ele? I thought a 1-4x was the norm for dangerous game. Not that I have first hand experience.

And to your concerns about the lack of a claw extractor (and controlled round feed), I think it may just be a comfort thing. I've never had a failure to extract or feed with my M24 work rifle even when working it through rapid fire strings. This is where my SOTIC mentor Longrange1947 will step in and correct anything I've gotten wrong.

BTW, got any leads on inexpensive hunting trips to SA or Namibia? Just asking. :D

Guymullins
03-10-2013, 04:09
^ This.

You don't always have to trade eye relief for magnification. Set the rifle/scope up properly and get rid of that halo. And part of that set up just may be adjusting LOP. I am a huge fan of the VX-3. I have one on my Rem 700 .300 Win Mag and that scope is better than my eyes. My wife has a Nikon Monarch on her .30-06 and I just love that scope too. For a .375 is it possible you have too much magnification for dugga boys and problem ele? I thought a 1-4x was the norm for dangerous game. Not that I have first hand experience.

And to your concerns about the lack of a claw extractor (and controlled round feed), I think it may just be a comfort thing. I've never had a failure to extract or feed with my M24 work rifle even when working it through rapid fire strings. This is where my SOTIC mentor Longrange1947 will step in and correct anything I've gotten wrong.

BTW, got any leads on inexpensive hunting trips to SA or Namibia? Just asking. :D

Dive, eye relief is fairly critical with my .375 Magnum as I often have to take rushed shots and a black-eye can be the result. Springbuck in Namibia famously give the hunter 3 seconds before they bolt. For Buff and Jumbo many people like the 1.5 magnification scopes which brings the whole picture into a single plane , but my eyes are still OK to use the open sights and thats why I have the quick-detachable scope mounts on the big gun. Yes, I can organise very inexpensive hunts here in SA, especially if you dont need to take the trophies home. I am arranging a weeks hunt for some Danes right now and will send you the prices once I have finalized them for your delectation.

badshot
03-11-2013, 05:26
^ This

All mine are cut to a 11 1/2 inch reach for that reason. Imagine you'll find your shots are more relaxed and natural...

Hmmm, would love to call in a leopard someday...:cool:

Guymullins
03-11-2013, 08:33
All mine are cut to a 11 1/2 inch reach for that reason. Imagine you'll find your shots are more relaxed and natural...

Hmmm, would love to call in a leopard someday...:cool:

Yeah Bad,
A leopard makes an impressive trophy. I am unmad about hunting them because the only sure way of doing it is baiting them from a hide, shooting at first or last light. I do prefer walk and stalk hunting to baiting. That said, you have to be quick and sure or you could land yourself in a world of trouble with a wounded cat. I shot one in the Matopos Hills in Rhodesia that had been eating all the local dogs.This was a chase with dogs and I got a shot at it as it pounced from a crack in the rock above me. It died immediately, but I still have the marks of its outstretched claws on my chest almost 40 years later.

badshot
03-11-2013, 14:03
Yeah Bad,
A leopard makes an impressive trophy. I am unmad about hunting them because the only sure way of doing it is baiting them from a hide, shooting at first or last light. I do prefer walk and stalk hunting to baiting. That said, you have to be quick and sure or you could land yourself in a world of trouble with a wounded cat. I shot one in the Matopos Hills in Rhodesia that had been eating all the local dogs.This was a chase with dogs and I got a shot at it as it pounced from a crack in the rock above me. It died immediately, but I still have the marks of its outstretched claws on my chest almost 40 years later.

Have great respect for the secretive large felines.

When you call in a mt. Lion (Puma) same rules apply...other than size the two species are similar in their behaviors. Hence fast shooting tools, don't let the name fool you. I have a good sense of humor. Leopard is somewhat more aggressive as you know.

Beautiful, to me that's the perfect hunt! Great story

Dusty
03-11-2013, 14:23
Beautiful, to me that's the perfect hunt! Great story

"Perfect" to me would be to kill it before it put claw marks on my chest. :D

Guymullins
03-11-2013, 14:31

Me too Dusty.

badshot
03-11-2013, 15:19

As long as you have all your parts, you've missed the point...

pun intended too :D

Lol guy...

The Reaper
03-11-2013, 16:43

Now where is the war story with scars to charm the babes with in that?

TR

Dusty
03-11-2013, 17:05
Now where is the war story with scars to charm the babes with in that?

TR

You're right. I guess Drone Warriors charm babes with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. :D

Guymullins
03-12-2013, 02:57
You're right. I guess Drone Warriors charm babes with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. :D

And medal chafe, which if you neglect for long enough, qualifies one for the Purple Heart.

Dusty
03-12-2013, 05:49
And medal chafe, which if you neglect for long enough, qualifies one for the Purple Heart.

lol Well, at least you had the balls to go after the cat yourself.

I've seen two panthers in the boonies, and each time the adrenaline cleaned my heart out like chrome.

badshot
03-12-2013, 19:48
lol Well, at least you had the balls to go after the cat yourself.

I've seen two panthers in the boonies, and each time the adrenaline cleaned my heart out like chrome.

Wow, you got the point of why someone would have an apex predator hunt them...no stories....just a damn fine experience...one on one. Just ask anyone who crawled in cave after one how it compared to any other hunting experience they had.

BTW: Cougar back straps are very good

mark46th
03-13-2013, 08:02
Back to scopes. I have bought a few over the years. I use Nikon Buckmaster 3-9X40's on my .270 and .308. For hunting these do the job fine, durable and clear. I have a Leupold VX2 on my .22-250, it also does its job quite well. I recently added a Schmidt and Bender to one of my rifles. Definitely in a class of its own.

badshot
03-13-2013, 08:30
I recently added a Schmidt and Bender to one of my rifles. Definitely in a class of its own.

Are you using it for more than 500yrds? If so how does it compare to Night force or the leupold for distances beyond? (I.e. clarity, accuracy, adjustments..)
Looks good on paper...

Side note: 22-250 is a great caliber

mark46th
03-13-2013, 09:04
Yes, I bought it for over 500 yards. I haven't seen the Night Force but I did consider it. The S&B replaced a Leupold Mk IV 3.5-14X30. The Leupold is a fine scope, I took an antelope at 500 yards with it but the Leupold glass is not in the same class as the S&B.

badshot
03-13-2013, 09:37
Yes, I bought it for over 500 yards. I haven't seen the Night Force but I did consider it. The S&B replaced a Leupold Mk IV 3.5-14X30. The Leupold is a fine scope, I took an antelope at 500 yards with it but the Leupold glass is not in the same class as the S&B.

Thanks, will take a close look at these, they are very highly rated.

You may know this but...when scouting or hunting for pronghorn wear a bright white shirt. Many times they'll come over to ya. It's pretty funny sometimes. Works better if you're on all fours moving a bit.

mark46th
03-13-2013, 14:35
I was in Wyoming for the antelope. If you are on all fours where I was hunting, you had better be wearing heavy gloves and shin guards. Lots of stickery things on the ground...

badshot
03-13-2013, 16:13
I was in Wyoming for the antelope. If you are on all fours where I was hunting, you had better be wearing heavy gloves and shin guards. Lots of stickery things on the ground...

You get used to getting stuck after awhile.

They are special animals...how they float over sage and oak brush that's rocky at amazing speed without skipping a beat.

If you ever stay awhile kangaroo leather gloves last much longer then regular or kevlar aviator gloves in mt and az, get stuck less too...:)

MR2
03-13-2013, 19:40

Me too Dusty.

ROTFLMAO

Guymullins
03-14-2013, 03:33
Here is an email I sent off to Denmark today for a quote on a weeks plains game hunting. The trophy prices are for what was wanted by the client and the hunt tailored to those trophies. I can get less expensive Zebra elsewhere, but when the client wants to hunt all the species at one location, you find some species are more expensive there that at other places. The Gemsbuck dictated that we hunt near the Kalahari, which is not the best terrain for some of the other species.

Hi Erik,
Here are the prices for the father and son pair who wish to hunt in July. We have two accommodation prices, on at a luxury camp about 40 km from the hunting grounds ($300 per person per day) and the other more basic accommodation at the hunting grounds ($150 per person per day). The daily rates quoted both include transport from and return to OR Tambo Airport Johannesburg to the hunting grounds, all meals, drinks (soft drinks, SA wine and beer) and the services of a hunting vehicle, Professional Hunter, trackers and skinners and the use of skinning and salting facilities. Rifles can be hired @ $10 per day and ammunition charged at cost for the desired calibre. Gratuities and tips to staff are excluded from these daily rates.
The trophy prices are: Gemsbok or Oryx $875, Kudu $875, Zebra $1095, Blesbuck $220 and Impala $165.
I attach the taxidermy price list in a separate file. The skull mount option is usually what Danes prefer.
I hope this meets with your satisfaction and we await your earliest reply so that we may book the hunt. If the clients would like to take this further, I can obtain some pictures of the accommodation choices.
Best regards

Naturally, we can reduce these prices somewhat for fellow soldiers if any of you are interested.

Guymullins
03-14-2013, 03:49
I have a theory that much money is often spent needlessly on rifle scopes in Africa. I am interested in what the rest of you feel.
Most of the high priced scopes that are available here in Africa (Swarovski, Leica, Zeiss etc) make great play on their lens coatings and light gathering qualities.
These qualities are very desirable for Northern Hemisphere hunting, where the winter days are very short and the light really poor for much of the day. In Africa, especially South Africa, our winter days are extremely bright with swift dusks and dawns. We seldom have rain or even clouds for all the hunting season, so the only time low light hunting occurs is on baited leopard, when the norm is to shoot at times of minimal light. So, my theory is that we generally dont need many of the costly features that are so desirable for European hunters. What we would prefer is a super-robust scope that can take a bashing on bad roads and from heavy recoil that we tend to get with our bigger calibres. Comment?

badshot
03-14-2013, 04:46
I have a theory that much money is often spent needlessly on rifle scopes in Africa. I am interested in what the rest of you feel.
Most of the high priced scopes that are available here in Africa (Swarovski, Leica, Zeiss etc) make great play on their lens coatings and light gathering qualities.
These qualities are very desirable for Northern Hemisphere hunting, where the winter days are very short and the light really poor for much of the day. In Africa, especially South Africa, our winter days are extremely bright with swift dusks and dawns. We seldom have rain or even clouds for all the hunting season, so the only time low light hunting occurs is on baited leopard, when the norm is to shoot at times of minimal light. So, my theory is that we generally dont need many of the costly features that are so desirable for European hunters. What we would prefer is a super-robust scope that can take a bashing on bad roads and from heavy recoil that we tend to get with our bigger calibres. Comment?

Nikon Monarch 2-7x32. Oddly some of their fixed power scopes don't handle the abuse over the long term. Some background, first (I catch crap for this) I jb weld them on, sometimes red locktite. On many mt. Lion hunts there is a 3 or more hour drive over boulders in a 88 Toyota 4x4, top speed if lucky is 5mph. Boulder fields slower. Then there is climbing, falling, high and low temps (highest 112f' lowest -5f -33f wind chill), wet, and lots of banging. Most shots are in low light, many borderline. This scope has never let me down at 4x up to 400yrds. Since Bobcat and fox are on the menu as well it has to be damn accurate. It's used with a 22-250 (yes it kills lions) .243 and .30-06's with hornady's most powerful flat flying rounds (light mag or newer superformance 150gr for example in 06). I have used some of the optics you mentioned for short to medium range (Kentucky windage) but prefer the above mentioned scope for that purpose.

Durability...shot out the 22-250 in two years and that scope was transferred to another one, that was 12years ago and being rolled on by an ATV...from the low deserts of Arizona to the rocky mountains of montana. Still works just fine. The old rifle is being saved for a gunsmith in az.

For the mid four hundred dollar range, an excellent part of the package (pro discount less)
Excuse the writing, on an Android...hope that helps

Guymullins
03-14-2013, 05:13
Nikon Monarch 2-7x32. Oddly some of their fixed power scopes don't handle the abuse over the long term. Some background, first (I catch crap for this) I jb weld them on, sometimes red locktite. On many mt. Lion hunts there is a 3 or more hour drive over boulders in a 88 Toyota 4x4, top speed if lucky is 5mph. Boulder fields slower. Then there is climbing, falling, high and low temps (highest 112f' lowest -5f -33f wind chill), wet, and lots of banging. Most shots are in low light, many borderline. This scope has never let me down at 4x up to 400yrds. Since Bobcat and fox are on the menu as well it has to be damn accurate. It's used with a 22-250 (yes it kills lions) .243 and .30-06's with hornady's most powerful flat flying rounds (light mag or newer superformance 150gr for example in 06). I have used some of the optics you mentioned for short to medium range (Kentucky windage) but prefer the above mentioned scope for that purpose.

Durability...shot out the 22-250 in two years and that scope was transferred to another one, that was 12years ago and being rolled on by an ATV...from the low deserts of Arizona to the rocky mountains of montana. Still works just fine. The old rifle is being saved for a gunsmith in az.

For the mid four hundred dollar range, an excellent part of the package (pro discount less)
Excuse the writing, on an Android...hope that helps

For some reason, the Nikon scopes are not popular here at all. The cameras are held in the highest regard, but not the scopes. I seem to remember that there was a "moving reticule" problem with the early scopes here. I remember a pal had one on his .416 Rigby and took it off quite soon after he got it. I would say Swarovski and Leoplold are probably the best regarded scopes here right now.

badshot
03-14-2013, 05:23
For some reason, the Nikon scopes are not popular here at all. The cameras are held in the highest regard, but not the scopes. I seem to remember that there was a "moving reticule" problem with the early scopes here. I remember a pal had one on his .416 Rigby and took it off quite soon after he got it. I would say Swarovski and Leoplold are probably the best regarded scopes here right now.

between those two I'd choose Swarovski. As for the Nikon, the ones made where noted earlier work just fine with the Japan made one the preferred.

Guy its important to keep in mind the calibers, those large bore rifles may cause an issue with Nikon that I'm not aware of.

Maybe someone else here with experience with elephant guns can give some helpful input.:D

mark46th
03-14-2013, 08:07
Good points, Guy. An expensive scope is an expensive paper weight if it can't hold zero after a bumpy ride...

The Reaper
03-14-2013, 16:35
I run a Leupold 1.5-5X Vari-X III on my Win 70 in .375 H&H.

I have had no problems with it.

TR

Guymullins
03-15-2013, 06:39
I run a Leupold 1.5-5X Vari-X III on my Win 70 in .375 H&H.

I have had no problems with it.

TR

That is probably a better magnification range for a .375 than what I have. I got my scope, unused, but second hand, for about a third the cost of a new one from a dealer. The 1.5 end is great for the big stuff, so I dont suppose you ever have to detach the scope in a hurry?
I like the positive feed of your Winchester too, so long as it is the Mauser type action and not the push action (like my Remington) that Winchester adopted for a while.

Guymullins
03-23-2013, 03:19
Yesterday was a public holiday, so a pal and I took the opportunity to field-test our new rifle and scope combinations so as to be ready and confident for the upcoming season. A private game farm about 60 miles away invited us to come out and sample its pleasures. As it was pre-season, the game was very tame and approaching them was very easy. I took an Impala at about 120 yds and a Blessbuck at about 150 yds. The new scope performed flawlessly, dropping both animals with heart shots as if their puppet strings had been cut. My pal, trying out his new Parker Hale .270 was also very happy with his rifle, although both of his animals ran a fair distance before falling. He was using Hornady points and they mushroomed OK and held 60% of their weight and penetrated through shoulder bone ending up under the skin on the far shoulder. The new farm was nice with lots of game ranging from Buff, to giraffe, Sable, Eland, Oryx, Kudu and all the smaller species.

The Reaper
03-23-2013, 10:20
That is probably a better magnification range for a .375 than what I have. I got my scope, unused, but second hand, for about a third the cost of a new one from a dealer. The 1.5 end is great for the big stuff, so I dont suppose you ever have to detach the scope in a hurry?
I like the positive feed of your Winchester too, so long as it is the Mauser type action and not the push action (like my Remington) that Winchester adopted for a while.

No plans to take it off.

I have a nice receiver sight for it, but the scope has been pretty solid since I mounted it. The Winchester is a Custom Shop job, and it is the controlled feed version.

Looking at the Leupold 1-6x Mark 6 for another application. A bit spendy, but it looks like it is very well-designed and made. If I was limited to a single rifle and I thought I might be in dangerous game with it, or on a once in a lifetime safari, that would be a great optic for it.

TR

Papa Zero Three
03-23-2013, 12:23

Have you looked at US Optics scopes? I've gone to the one high quality scope for all my rifles way of thinking. I am running a US Optics SN3/ Lr-17 3.2-17x on a Larue QD mount that works on all my guns. US Optics allows you to configure the scope how you want it so if you don't want all those bells and whistles, you don't have to get them. They are still a top shelf scope price wise but they are durable and can handle the large caliber rounds.

http://www.usoptics.com/optics.html

badshot
03-24-2013, 16:08
Yesterday was a public holiday, so a pal and I took the opportunity to field-test our new rifle and scope combinations so as to be ready and confident for the upcoming season. A private game farm about 60 miles away invited us to come out and sample its pleasures. As it was pre-season, the game was very tame and approaching them was very easy. I took an Impala at about 120 yds and a Blessbuck at about 150 yds. The new scope performed flawlessly, dropping both animals with heart shots as if their puppet strings had been cut. My pal, trying out his new Parker Hale .270 was also very happy with his rifle, although both of his animals ran a fair distance before falling. He was using Hornady points and they mushroomed OK and held 60% of their weight and penetrated through shoulder bone ending up under the skin on the far shoulder. The new farm was nice with lots of game ranging from Buff, to giraffe, Sable, Eland, Oryx, Kudu and all the smaller species.

Nice guy...I have a pricey 4x leupold on a 30-30 that performs well.

As for the .270, have found the faster hornady's using the SST perform poorly at closer ranges with elk especially for my aimpoints...breakdown bone shots. Hornady's bonded bullets retain their weight and drop them on the spot.

Dusty
03-24-2013, 16:24
Nice guy...I have a pricey 4x leupold on a 30-30 that performs well.

I didn't know Loopy made a scope with a 6-mil dot. :D

badshot
03-24-2013, 16:46
I didn't know Loopy made a scope with a 6-mil dot. :D

Lol...

Hornady made the 30-30 an accurate 300yd firearm

FYI:
Don't know where to post this and QP's may already be aware...if you want great pants for temps ranging from 20 to 80F that are quite, don't smell, and strong...King of the mountain bun-lites are very good. Some sellers offer discounts to the Teams. Currently testing a great replacement for a different manufacturer that are less expensive and offer discounts to military and/or pros, and are great people too. It's early in the test but so far the wind protection provided by these new pants is exceptional, better than the KOM's. All the above are specially weaved, strong and light weight wool.

Dusty
03-24-2013, 16:51
Lol...

Hornady made the 30-30 an accurate 300yd firearm

I hear you.

Believe it or not, even the LeverEvolution rounds for my 45-70 hit pretty close to one another on a target.

badshot
03-24-2013, 16:56
Believe it or not, even the LeverEvolution rounds for my 45-70 hit pretty close to one another on a target.

I do, Hornady makes precision ammo and brought back the lever action. Sounds like a fine hunting rifle...

Dusty
03-24-2013, 17:01
I do, Hornady makes precision ammo and brought back the lever action. Sounds like a fine hunting rifle...

9 out of 10 shots out here are no further than 60 yards due to the terrain.

I had to get the britches off two deer and process 'em in one day last year, and I'm about burned out for deer hunting, but turkey hunting's still fun.

badshot
03-24-2013, 22:34
9 out of 10 shots out here are no further than 60 yards due to the terrain.

I had to get the britches off two deer and process 'em in one day last year, and I'm about burned out for deer hunting, but turkey hunting's still fun.

That's what children are for, taking the garbage out, mowing the lawn, and of course, retrieving Dad's harvested game :D