PDA

View Full Version : My Odd Chest Pain

Smokin Joe
02-13-2013, 13:09
The first incident:
Started on or about 10/25/12 low grade fever all day around 100-101.
Chest pain radiating from mid line over the heart area. Pain increased with shift in position. Pain was sharp and would shoot up the neck when ever I bent over or stood up. Pain felt like is was related or traveled via vascular i.e. my carotid artery up to the bottom of my chin and would stop there.

Went to the ER they gave 3 I/V’s full labs, ruled our PE and chest X-ray all neg. Exist diagnosis was possible pleurisy.

Follow up with my PCP the next day, stated the symptoms were classic pleurisy which was odd because he had never seen a “classic symptom case” another round of labs and X-rays all negative. Gave Percocet for pain and advised to take motrin for inflammation. Pain was a 4 or 5 and tolerable for 2 days, then on the third day pain shot up to about a 7 or 8 out of 10. Pain subsided after about 4 days on Percocet.

Fast forward 7 weeks, pain is mild and manageable with motrin, but still vaguely present. No Percocet for almost 6 weeks at this point.

The Second Incident:
January 7th, 2013 pain comes back like a freight train and is more prevalent then ever. Go back to PCP. He says “I don’t know” but at this point its not pleurisy. However he puts me on Voltaren and Prednisone and refers me to a pulmonologist

January 11th, 2013 relate all info to the pulmonologist. She orders CT-A and Echocardiogram, plus additional labs.

By this time the pain has subsided and it feels like the Voltaren and Prednisone are working. CT-A and Echcardiogram come back clean and clear, only thing showing is my venacava artery is slightly dilated compared to the others.

January 30th, 2013 I feel great, no pain, back to 100% pulmonologist says she thinks it was pericarditis but has no proof to back that up as all labs and test show no abnormalities.

The Third Incident:
February 8th, 2013 shortly after lunch on set of pain in the upper left side of my abdomen, at first if feels like gas pain but within 24 hours the pain radiates across my entire chest. And stays centrally focused on the midline of my body consistent with previous incidents. By the 10th the pain has increased to a 7 or 8 out of a 10.

February 11th, 2013 I saw the pulmonologist who examined me and said there is no way it is your heart or lungs as she had a cardiologist review everything and my heart and lungs are clear. As such she further stated she was totally out of answers and believes I needed to see a GI doc. Later that day I followed up with my PCP for a second opinion who confirmed that if it is not the heart and lungs then the next step is a scope with a GI doc.

February 12th, 2013 I saw a GI Doc who examined me and stated that any GI issue would be a real stretch but of course it had to be ruled out. I have a gallbladder ultrasound set for Thursday and a Scope set for next Tuesday.

Consistent symptoms throughout this ordeal when this (whatever it is) is aggravated or the pain is “on” have been: Mild pain on day one (like a 4 out of 10) escalating to a 8 or 9 out of 10 by the third day, Night sweets, what feels like a fever as far as feeling hot, then cold, followed on by chills at night, chest pain that even when medicated is a 4 or 5 out of 10. Unmediated feels like at 8 out of 10. It always escalates the same, with mild pain in the lower center of the chest, really bad night sweats and what feels like a low grade fever that night, next day pain will increase in area and level. Pain increase until it spans the entire chest and the pain is steady 8 out of 10. Controlling pain with Percocet 10-325 every 6 hours. After 4-5 days of pain management pain will drop off for a couple of weeks then come back hot and heavy.

Here is what I am consistently seeing, 1) Docs who have no answers 2) A pain that is not presenting in a typical fashion that would lead to a quick and or easy diagnosis. 3) I feel docs are ignoring the fever / night sweats as every time I bring it up they are dismissive of it. 4) This is a cyclical occurrence.

Would anyone here care to jump in and add your knowledge and expertise, as it seems I am stumping everyone else I am running into. I am so frustrated at this point that I would just love an answer so it can get treated and I can move on with life. I have a newborn, 5 year old, work, and a spouse that I have been neglecting due to this craziness. ETA: Pain is aggravated by deep breaths, coughing, hiccups, or burps.

And NO ADAL you CANNOT sink a needle into my heart for training purposes…. You wicked witch doctor. ☺ Sorry for the long winded post and TIA for any help.

Eagle5US
02-13-2013, 17:41
Looks like you are doing all the right things and seeing all the right people.
Try and keep the faith through your frustration. Probably the WORST thing that could happen would be for a bunch of folks on the internet to start sending you "ideas" because it really muddles the picture for your health care team.
Understand too, that they are ruling out all the BAD things (i.e. things that can kill you) and during that time they too know you are still suffering.

No one goes into medicine because they want to say "Damn, I dunno. Looks like you are SOL" They want to help you. Us giving you bright ideas without the benefit of a physical exam, imaging, and labs would more than likely be somewhat detrimental.

All that having been said. I too hope you feel better soon.

Please keep us posted on your progress and prognosis. It could be a good learning thread for our Deltas.

Smokin Joe
02-13-2013, 18:09
Shall do Sir.

I will also see if I can get a copy of my CT-A and Echo + lab results for your eyes. I know me just spewing my frustration with out labs and without an exam only gives you an incomplete picture. But I'm all for learning and I think I have a real head scratcher here. I hope it will help someone down the road.

This one Delta I talk to a lot only wants to stab me in the heart because "it couldn't hurt" was the last excuse I received :p. Prior to that was, "it will be fun" and "Its really good training". :D

Thanks for the response and encouragement.

ZonieDiver
02-13-2013, 18:43
I'm not a doctor, and not a Delta, nor did I sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night. However, I do hope this gets resolved quickly and satisfactorily for you, Smokin Joe.

Hang in there...

Trapper John
02-13-2013, 18:53
Ask your PCP to ultrasound your gallbladder. Is the pain related in anyway to your diet? Fried or fatty food make this worse? Pain associated with cholecystitis usually manifests in the midline of the upper abdomen, but can radiate like heart attack pain. Your work up seems to have ruled out pericarditis (my first thought) and pleuritis (you didn't describe pain on respiration so I didn't think this was a likely Dx). I am betting on the gall bladder. Interesting an ECG abnormality (S-T interval elongation) is associated with gall bladder disease. No explanation.

Disclaimer: I am not an MD, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express:D

Seriously, have the gall bladder ultrasound.

adal
02-13-2013, 22:23
On a serious note, the needle to the heart needle would only be diagnostic. (and fun training :D )

MR2
02-13-2013, 22:58
Prior to that was, "it will be fun" and "Its really good training". :D

Just practice up on your bleat.

UWOA (RIP)
02-13-2013, 23:59
I agree with Eagle; it could be a lot of things. Do you have difficulty swallowing? A gastro-intestinal series, including esophageal manometry may pinpoint the issue since your doctor has ruled out a heart problem ... the excessive sweating may be indicative of a number of issues not related to the chest pain. While the Internet offers a lot of information, in the final analysis it's hands-on diagnosis that's going to resolve this. In any event keep involved with the process ... you'll fare better if you take an active role in medical decision-making.

I certainly hope that you can identify and overcome the problem.

Smokin Joe
02-14-2013, 07:48
Ask your PCP to ultrasound your gallbladder. Is the pain related in anyway to your diet? Fried or fatty food make this worse? Pain associated with cholecystitis usually manifests in the midline of the upper abdomen, but can radiate like heart attack pain. Your work up seems to have ruled out pericarditis (my first thought) and pleuritis (you didn't describe pain on respiration so I didn't think this was a likely Dx). I am betting on the gall bladder. Interesting an ECG abnormality (S-T interval elongation) is associated with gall bladder disease. No explanation.

Disclaimer: I am not an MD, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express:D

Seriously, have the gall bladder ultrasound.

There might be something to this, I am getting an ultrasound this morning and my pulimonologist did mention a very small abnormality in my t wave when I went to the ER back in October. However, she was very dismissive of it and made a very passing comment about that, and other EKG's did not show this.

Thanks everyone for the info, and I get a scope down my throat on Tuesday, I will update you all when I know more.

And I will work on my bleat and four legged run. ;)

Trapper John
02-14-2013, 11:16
There might be something to this, I am getting an ultrasound this morning and my pulimonologist did mention a very small abnormality in my t wave when I went to the ER back in October. However, she was very dismissive of it and made a very passing comment about that, and other EKG's did not show this.

That is a key differential diagnostic indicator that most internists and cardiologist even dismiss. With your episodic sever pain as you describe it, pain on inhalation (not exhalation), clear heart and lung pathology - I'll bet you a donut that you have gall bladder removal in your near future. The ultrasound will tell all.

PS: Don't f'around with this. Can lead to pancreatitis if I'm right and you don't want to go there.

Team Sergeant
02-14-2013, 11:59
On a serious note, the needle to the heart needle would only be diagnostic. (and fun training :D )

Let me know if you need me to hold him down so you can stick him.......:munchin

Smokin Joe
02-14-2013, 12:19
That is a key differential diagnostic indicator that most internists and cardiologist even dismiss. With your episodic sever pain as you describe it, pain on inhalation (not exhalation), clear heart and lung pathology - I'll bet you a donut that you have gall bladder removal in your near future. The ultrasound will tell all.

PS: Don't f'around with this. Can lead to pancreatitis if I'm right and you don't want to go there.

I tell you what, the ultrasound sound today hurt like a motherf-er, and I pressed the ultrasound tech as hard as I could and she was tight lipped which I get. I didn't see anything in the ultrasound that jumped out at me like an alien in my chest but that doesn't me anything.

Also, I monkey F'around with this on the front end for a couple of weeks, thinking it was no big deal. Now (the last few weeks) I have had a change of heart and am being very aggressive about this and I am really leaning on the docs for answers and results.

The Scope is on deck, hopefully between these two tests we can figure this out.

MisoMed
02-14-2013, 14:37
I didn't save a lot on my car insurance nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn last night. Not really my lane and I agree, Charlie mike with the docs; however, reading it, I did wonder about travel. Have you been out of the country (TB) or to Cali (Valley Fever). It does kind of sound like some sort of pleural effusion whether pneumococcal or what have you, heck maybe even a little like endocarditis. If you have good docs and they are truly stumped, they'll do what good docs do and bounce it off colleagues. Surely someone somewhere had a pt who had the same! Only so much is book learning. The rest is ojt. Anyway, see your doc. Don't listen to advice on the 'nets and most importantly, Feel Better Soon!

Smokin Joe
02-14-2013, 15:32
Let me know if you need me to hold him down so you can stick him.......:munchin

I'm just gonna pass over this, as there is nothing smart nor productive I can say to make this go away. Please don't stab my heart with a big fucking needle until I'm dead or dying. :D

I didn't save a lot on my car insurance nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn last night. Not really my lane and I agree, Charlie mike with the docs; however, reading it, I did wonder about travel. Have you been out of the country (TB) or to Cali (Valley Fever). It does kind of sound like some sort of pleural effusion whether pneumococcal or what have you, heck maybe even a little like endocarditis. If you have good docs and they are truly stumped, they'll do what good docs do and bounce it off colleagues. Surely someone somewhere had a pt who had the same! Only so much is book learning. The rest is ojt. Anyway, see your doc. Don't listen to advice on the 'nets and most importantly, Feel Better Soon!

No travel, Valley Fever was ruled out too with all the labs and by the pulmonologist.

The only pattern I can establish is that this comes on easy with mild chest pain, then within 2 days hits like a freight train encompass the chest, and goes to 8 or 9 out of 10. Manageable with a truck load of Percocet. Then after 3-5 days on Percocet it subsides for several weeks, only to come back and repeat.

Update New change in meds:
10-325mg Percocet as needed for pain (currently been off of them for 16 hours and I only have only very slight discomfort. Deep breaths do cause significant pain in the front mid line of the chest. Normal resting breaths = no pain.

20mg of Omeprazole X2 a day

swatsurgeon
02-14-2013, 15:39

You are so bad Adal......but the truth is an endocardial biopsy may be in play if there is any evidence of cardiomyopathy. Also, have they done a stress test to try and bring on the pain so that it can be captured on ECG or echo when it happens? The GI guy may also need an UGI to check for esophageal spasm which can hurt like a heart attack.....

You're too young for this garbage!

ss

Smokin Joe
02-14-2013, 15:43
You are so bad Adal......but the truth is an endocardial biopsy may be in play if there is any evidence of cardiomyopathy. Also, have they done a stress test to try and bring on the pain so that it can be captured on ECG or echo when it happens? The GI guy may also need an UGI to check for esophageal spasm which can hurt like a heart attack.....

You're too young for this garbage!

ss

Thanks for weighing in Syd, I didn't want to keep knocking on your door for my lil drama. No stress test as the pain is not replicated by exercise (although I'm sure if someone tried to make me run a mile right now I would probably stab them with a really big knife) Also the echocardiogram and CT-A showed no abnormalities.

I'm going to work on getting copies of this stuff now.

Smokin Joe
02-14-2013, 15:58
The cholecystitis direction is looking better, IMO.

:munchin

We should start taking bets.... :munchin

Trapper John
02-14-2013, 16:09
We should start taking bets.... :munchin

I already bet a doughnut. Figured an LE type would be all over dat :D

PedOncoDoc
02-14-2013, 16:22
The cyclic nature of the pain and fever/night sweats bring a few things to mind - I'm glad you're getting this worked up. There are more things than the gall bladder in the vicinity of the ultrasound probe that could lead to a painful scan, so don't go hanging your hat on anything until you get confirmation from the docs interpeting the ultrasound - even if they see something, I am a firm believer of "tissue is the issue" and biopsies/cholcystectomy are needed to secure a diagnosis.

Best of luck!

Smokin Joe
02-14-2013, 16:41
I already bet a doughnut. Figured an LE type would be all over dat :D

Oh, I definitely "got" it ;). I was thinking we should put a good bottle of Tequila or Scotch up for the person who makes the correct "diagnosis" first. Something like these two.... Maybe this will get the competitive minds involved.

(With admin permission obviously)

Rules: This is purely a game of sport all of the disclaimers in this thread (link) (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163) ARE applicable. The "Winner" will receive from me 1 of these bottles (or a bottle of like value) shipped to their address of choice. (I'm sure I could talk TS in to sending it for me incase anyone doesn't wish to disclose there address to me). I will update this thread as I get new info, labs, etc.

I obviously have a vested interest in this so I have zero problem putting a few dollars up to help the info to flow....

Trapper John
02-14-2013, 20:01
Oh, I definitely "got" it ;). I was thinking we should put a good bottle of Tequila or Scotch up for the person who makes the correct "diagnosis" first. Something like these two.... Maybe this will get the competitive minds involved.

(With admin permission obviously)

Rules: This is purely a game of sport all of the disclaimers in this thread (link) (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163) ARE applicable. The "Winner" will receive from me 1 of these bottles (or a bottle of like value) shipped to their address of choice. (I'm sure I could talk TS in to sending it for me incase anyone doesn't wish to disclose there address to me). I will update this thread as I get new info, labs, etc.

I obviously have a vested interest in this so I have zero problem putting a few dollars up to help the info to flow....

Got a better idea. If it's the gall bladder I will send you the one of your choice. If it's not then I will send you the one of my choice. That way you get a little something to help you feel better either way ;)

Smokin Joe
02-14-2013, 20:57
Got a better idea. If it's the gall bladder I will send you the one of your choice. If it's not then I will send you the one of my choice. That way you get a little something to help you feel better either way ;)

Well I do love my good booze, but from what I'm hearing from a few I know who had their gallbladder removed I'm maybe out of the drinking club. :(

Smokin Joe
02-14-2013, 22:02
Okay I have my CT-A and my Echo images... I had to do some software leveraging to get them to a readable formate. I think what I will do is upload them (as I had to export as video do to the amount of images) via youtube and share the links via PM. Delta's and student PM me and I will be happy to share the links with you. As for the short term here are two images to look at. :rolleyes:

MR2
02-14-2013, 23:42
An earring?

UWOA (RIP)
02-15-2013, 12:19
Based on the images, if it's what I think it is, I don't want to bet ... because I don't want to win....

Smokin Joe
02-15-2013, 12:24
Based on the images, if it's what I think it is, I don't want to bet ... because I don't want to win....

Oh thats not fair at all.... thats like saying "Pandora don't open the box" :)
Win or lose it will inevitably happen (if your right) And I would rather know now they be in the dark for days or weeks. ;)

Also I have to images up via youtube if anyone wants to see them shoot me a PM.

thanks for weighing in UWOA!

UWOA (RIP)
02-15-2013, 15:40
Yeah, but I'm not an expert at reading pictures so I could be way wrong and cause unnecessary heartache ... now that I think about it, I should have kept my mouth shut.

That said, the esophagus is where my attention was focused.

NurseTim
02-15-2013, 18:52
I think we should listen to Eagel5US and stop speculating when we don't know this patient from Adam's housecat. We could be stressing our friend out with speculation. I agree it is interesting and intriguing but let's not muddy the diagnostic water.

Good luck with the scope brother.

Smokin Joe
02-15-2013, 20:30
I think we should listen to Eagel5US and stop speculating when we don't know this patient from Adam's housecat. We could be stressing our friend out with speculation. I agree it is interesting and intriguing but let's not muddy the diagnostic water.

Good luck with the scope brother.

Thanks Tim, but you can ask a few on here I won't stress over this, I'm not really built that way. Will I give this the due respect it deserves and handle it? Absolutely I will! Will I loss sleep and spend every waking hour worrying? No WAY! My affairs are in order and my family knows the contingency plan should anything happen to me. TS, gets my slingshots and Adal gets my Red Ryder bb gun :)

The intent of this thread for me was/is to gain information or knowledge about something that is impacting me directly as these little episodes have been playing stumb the chump with 3 doctors I have seen. As such I felt it maybe an opportunity for the Deltas and aspiring Deltas on here as well as the Docs (to learn or mentor respectfully) a case from my perspective (the patient). As I am not a medical professional they would be forced to interpet the case as it evolved or as I laid it out in my layman terms, which I'm sure is significantly more difficult then if another medical professional laid it out for them. Thus creating a win win. I get exposure to opposite opinions that are different from my current docs who seem to refuse to disagree with each and only back each other up regardless of their suggestions. While the Deltas (or aspiring to be Deltas) get exposure to an odd case they could definitely see coming up later on in their career.

Is there a possibility someone could get on here and say, "OMG, look at that, you are f-ed and there is nothing you can do about it but live quickly and die." I would welcome that or any information over being kept in continual darkness like I am a child. I can handle great news and horrible news, what I can't handle is someone attempting to shelter me from bad news especially about something that is obviously already present within my own body. I understood the rules when I walked in here, big boy rules big boy consequences. All I can ask is that you give it to me straight as you see it based on your expertise. Nothing more nothing less, so please save the "lets not speculate because we are going to stress him out" Stuff, thats not for me. In serious matters I tend to be blunt and to the point I hope you can extend to me the same courtesy.

NurseTim
02-15-2013, 21:35
Roger that. I'll just be over here sipping my rum, neat.

I'll still refrain and wait for the answer to be a simple easy fix, that's what in my prayers anyway.

HOLLiS
02-16-2013, 00:14
I was going to post something earlier. I think Eagle and Tim said it best.

Prayers are out and that everything goes well.

SPEC4
02-16-2013, 11:20
My wife had "similar" symptoms a test called "liver panel" showed a bad gall bladder.

Several days after removal, symptoms returned as "sediments" had backed up into the liver.

A scar from pubes to boobs later and she is doing really well. Hope you catch this.
:lifter

orion5
02-16-2013, 11:55
Joe, sorry to hear about your health issues and hope this mystery is sorted out soon.

But on a positive note, glad to hear you married that good woman! ;)

Smokin Joe
02-16-2013, 13:23
Joe, sorry to hear about your health issues and hope this mystery is sorted out soon.

But on a positive note, glad to hear you married that good woman! ;)

Orion5 don't be starten' rumors now. ;)

PedOncoDoc
02-16-2013, 14:19
My wife had "similar" symptoms a test called "liver panel" showed a bad gall bladder.

Several days after removal, symptoms returned as "sediments" had backed up into the liver.

A scar from pubes to boobs later and she is doing really well. Hope you catch this.

I have to belive the docs already would have ordered a liver panel and GGT to evaluate for cholecystitis/cholelithiasis. It's not uncommon to have some lingering issues after the gall bladder is out until all residual crud works its way out into the intestines.

swatsurgeon
02-18-2013, 14:06
I think I have a dx...... Smokin Joe may be giving up that bottle sooner rather than later, if it pans out. Stay tuned!:lifter

NurseTim
02-18-2013, 14:21
Dibs on his Rum then.:D

Gypsy
02-18-2013, 18:07
Best wishes to you Joe, hope they figure it all out and prayers that it is nothing super serious.

Smokin Joe
02-18-2013, 18:17
Thanks Gypsy!

Also scope down the throat has been canceled. Ultra sound revealed fluid around the heart, I will be exploring that with the cardiologist. Guess I need another echo and/or CT-A.

Also another doc found something in the YouTube videos.

And NO Adal you can't stab my heart (yet). If we have to do that I will give you the opportunity though. ;)

adal
02-18-2013, 22:11
SWEET!!!!!! I'll get out the sharpening stone and prep the needle!! Maybe a chicken bone or two also. :lifter

frostfire
02-18-2013, 22:47
Thanks Gypsy!

Also scope down the throat has been canceled. Ultra sound revealed fluid around the heart, I will be exploring that with the cardiologist. Guess I need another echo and/or CT-A.

Also another doc found something in the YouTube videos.

And NO Adal you can't stab my heart (yet). If we have to do that I will give you the opportunity though. ;)

aw shoot, just when I'm about to play, you're getting a clearer picture of what's going on.

Here's a dx...guaranteed to be 100% accurate too! We discharged many folks with similar s/s like yours home with it. Got a preprinted discharge instructionn to go along as well

Are you ready?

Here we go...

chest pain of unclear etiology :p
:D:D

Smokin Joe
02-18-2013, 23:03
aw shoot, just when I'm about to play, you're getting a clearer picture of what's going on.

Here's a dx...guaranteed to be 100% accurate too! We discharged many folks with similar s/s like yours home with it. Got a preprinted discharge instructionn to go along as well

Are you ready?

Here we go...

chest pain of unclear etiology :p
:D:D

That along with the words "idiopathic" guarantees my smart mouth getting the better of me and telling the doctor exactly what I think of their failure to diagnose my issue. I would probably be asked to never return upon completion of my "colorful" articulation of the doctors education and years of training. ;)

Remington Raidr
02-19-2013, 01:10
but my brother died at 22 of "idiopathic cardiomyopathy". The phrase still turns my blood to ice. You are in my prayers.:(

frostfire
02-19-2013, 10:49
That along with the words "idiopathic" guarantees my smart mouth getting the better of me and telling the doctor exactly what I think of their failure to diagnose my issue. I would probably be asked to never return upon completion of my "colorful" articulation of the doctors education and years of training. ;)

That would be absolutely understandable. Frustrating must not have described half of it.
In the ER there's a saying though: Sometimes, no news is good news. Just like folks want to be brought back instantly after they're signed in, but truthfully they really don't because that means they're hanging to life by a thread...

Speaking of ruling things out, got a young GI who showed up with diffuse ab, and pelvic pain etc. Long story short, his urine was suspicious and he ended up getting "rodded" in front of his male partner and a learning female nurse :D. 4 hours, 48oz GI contrast, and GI CT later, he was admitted for acute appendicitis. See, good training and it was fun :D His NCO's won't let up on the poor GI ER adventure and prob laughed for 10 min straight at his expense.

Hope you get well soon, and onto speedy recovery. Prayers out.

Smokin Joe
02-25-2013, 18:13
To review:

1) Chest pain radiating from mid line over the heart area. Pain increased with shift in position. Pain was sharp and would shoot up the neck when ever I bent over or stood up. Pain felt like it was related or traveled via vascular i.e. my carotid artery up to the bottom of my chin and would stop there.

2) Low grade fever, sweats, chills, etc.

Update:

I saw the cardiologist today. His diagnosis is it is clearly pericarditis (and always has been). His opinion is that I have been bouncing around to different docs who lacked the skills to properly diagnose it. According to what I was told pericarditis is mainly a clinical diagnosis with the majority of the evidence in the proper reading of an EKG. And those who lack experience in what an EKG looks like with someone who has percarditis it can be over looked fairly easily. Additionally, he mentioned that the CT-A and echocardiogram may not have ever detected it even if there was an active pericardial effusion at the time of the test (depending on the severity of the effusion at the time of the test). Which makes sense b/c at the time of my CT-A and echo I felt great. The later detection of the effusion during an abdominal ultrasound demonstrates a significant effusion at the time of the test. <-- Which makes sense because I felt like total crap during that test.

Moving forward:

Due to the fact that I was never properly diagnosed and treated I run the risk of it reoccurring and it developing into chronic pericarditis (or something to that effect) where I would essential cycle through it throughout the rest of my life (funk dat). To combat that in the event it returns I have been given: Indomethacin and to hammer it at the onset, it should disappear after about 5 days. This should have been the treatment at the onset, which would have minimized the potential for reoccurrence.

My After Thoughts

1) In my case this was most likely developed from the coaxial virus as my business partners son had "Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease" (same virus) shortly before I got sick. <--- I should have hammered this point to the docs, where as I only mentioned it in passing.

2) I should have trusted my gut and been a bigger advocate for myself, including challenging the doctors opinions that didn't mesh with my symptoms. I was attempting to be "helpful and compliant" this was a disservice to myself and family.

3) I'm not sure if this thread can serve as a learning experience for anyone here. But, I certainly hope so.

4) Adal, you were right, when I was really bad off I probably could have used a needle to the heart to relieve the fluid.... although I'm still glad I passed on that. ;)

If anyone has any questions, fire away.

Thanks everyone who was involved and lent an ear to my little drama. Your help, helped me and I sincerely appreciate that! If it resurfaces I will update all.

Gypsy
02-25-2013, 19:57
2) I should have trusted my gut and been a bigger advocate for myself, including challenging the doctors opinions that didn't mesh with my symptoms. I was attempting to be "helpful and compliant" this was a disservice to myself and family.

First I'm glad they have it figured out!

Can't stress the importance of this point enough. Your gut is rarely wrong, my docs and I have ahhh...discussions...all the time. :D My dad thought his doc was G-d and it cost him his life.

Joker
02-25-2013, 20:32
Your post.
You forgot 6) Go to the range and shoot some more.

Glad you id'ed it so you can treat it! :lifter

Trapper John
02-25-2013, 20:52
Glad this was figured out. My first impression was pericarditis based upon the symptoms. That your PCP and subsequent specialists missed this is primarily due to not taking a complete patient history, JMO, and is a lost art. Had he/she done so he/she would have picked up on the Coxsackie virus exposure prior to the onset of your symptoms. This is a member of the Enterovirus family and is a family of viruses that can cause persistent infections. Hence the possibility of recurrence of your symptoms.

As you probably know the Indomethacin is an anti-inflammatory NSAID. This is symptomatic treatment only.

The principle area of my research is the etiology of chronic "idiopathic" diseases. I believe that most if not all of the so called "idiopathic" diseases are the result of chronic viral and/or bacterial infections. Some species are particularly adept at avoiding or subverting our natural (innate) responses to promote a chronic inflammatory state in the infected tissues that are recognized as a wide variety of chronic diseases.

A couple of my colleagues work with Coxsackie virus. With your permission, I will check with them to see if (a) there is an affordable diagnostic test and (b) what anti-viral drugs are currently available to clear the virus if any. I will send you a PM with what I learn if you send me a PM letting me know that you want me to do this. I don't want to get your hopes up, I simply don't know and am just willing to do some research for you.

Let me know.

Smokin Joe
02-25-2013, 21:22
Glad this was figured out. My first impression was pericarditis based upon the symptoms. That your PCP and subsequent specialists missed this is primarily due to not taking a complete patient history, JMO, and is a lost art. Had he/she done so he/she would have picked up on the Cocksackie virus exposure prior to the onset of your symptoms. This is a member of the Enterovirus family and is a family of viruses that can cause persistent infections. Hence the possibility of recurrence of your symptoms.

As you probably know the Indomethacin is an anti-inflammatory NSAID. This is symptomatic treatment only.

The principle area of my research is the etiology of chronic "idiopathic" diseases. I believe that most if not all of the so called "idiopathic" diseases are the result of chronic viral and/or bacterial infections. Some species are particularly adept at avoiding or subverting our natural (innate) responses to promote a chronic inflammatory state in the infected tissues that are recognized as a wide variety of chronic diseases.

A couple of my colleagues work with Cosackie virus. With your permission, I will check with them to see if (a) there is an affordable diagnostic test and (b) what anti-viral drugs are currently available to clear the virus if any. I will send you a PM with what I learn if you send me a PM letting me know that you want me to do this. I don't want to get your hopes up, I simply don't know and am just willing to do some research for you.

Let me know.

Green light GO... PM to follow :)

UWOA (RIP)
02-25-2013, 21:51
I'm glad you isolated the problem, and I have high hopes that the treatment will resolve it and that it won't reoccur.

Take care and stay safe!

PSM
02-25-2013, 22:02
I'm glad they got it figured out, Joe. Wouldn't want you pulling your hair out worrying about it. ;)

Pat

NurseTim
02-25-2013, 22:45
I'm glad you got an answer. I hope you are feeling better. I know I'm going to come off crunchy tree hugging dirty hippy like, BFD. Look hard at your nutrition and see if that can boost your own immune system to kick the coxsacki virus in its cocksacky.:lifter. Geter done.

Team Sergeant
02-26-2013, 10:24
So when we going shooting again?:munchin

Smokin Joe
02-26-2013, 10:26
So when we going shooting again?:munchin

That is a great questions! I think Adal had something on this.... Otherwise weekends work best for me now days.