PDA

View Full Version : Rio Grande Turkey Spring Season

SpikedBuck
02-08-2013, 17:56
I would like to try my hand at turkey hunting this spring. Looking for any recommendations for turkey hunting locations in the San Antonio area. Thanks

Habu-MFFI 175
02-08-2013, 17:58
No you don't, stay away while you still can. Turkey hunting is addictive.

Never hunted out that way, but do here in eastern NC.

SpikedBuck
02-08-2013, 18:02
Funny you should say that...the other comment I have heard is that it is one of the most hazardous hunts with the threat coming from fellow hunters.

Dusty
02-08-2013, 18:02
Turkey hunting is addictive.

Truer words were never writ.

I'm already scratchin' slate. ;)

Habu-MFFI 175
02-08-2013, 18:09
I usually hunt in areas that are void of others. I haven't seen another person in the area that I can think of. The threat comes on public lands where lots of others hunt. They hear you calling and try to creep in and just take "sound shots". Not a great way to harvest game but thats hunting to some.

Check out some threads on turkey hunting. Lots of info on the internet along with Youtube videos of how to call and use different styles of calls.

Good luck

Dusty
02-08-2013, 18:11
Funny you should say that...the other comment I have heard is that it is one of the most hazardous hunts with the threat coming from fellow hunters.

It's just 4 shot. Not like it's gonna kill you. ;)

craigepo
02-08-2013, 21:49
Hard to hunt Texas without leasing land. If you find a spot, get a good locater call (owl, crow, woodpecker). Before season starts, spend some early mornings just locating gobblers. Getting located in a good spot is as important as calling.

uspsmark
04-16-2013, 11:11
It's just 4 shot. Not like it's gonna kill you. ;)

Except for here in Virginia, they allow rifles to be used for hunting turkey! Always be careful when using decoys (I never use a jake or gobbler decoy for just that reason here).

uspsmark
04-16-2013, 11:14
I would like to try my hand at turkey hunting this spring. Looking for any recommendations for turkey hunting locations in the San Antonio area. Thanks

Try this to find public hunting lands in your state:

http://www.nwtf.org/tips_adventures/tips.php?id=334

Might even find a local NWTF chapter and join. Great way to be with other turkey huntin enthusiasts and I will just about bet that they know all the good places! ;)