PDA

View Full Version : Commuters and quarterly drill

JWild
02-08-2013, 00:45
Good evening gentleman, I rarely make a new topic as most answers can be found via search, however I couldn't find anything on this ( although I thought I recalled reading about it in regards to people doing contracting work).

My question is how do the various units handle out of state commuters, more specifically an individual from Hawaii, since they have to fly would that open up pretty much any unit? Also do some units still drill quarterly, which would mean less air travel?

Thank you for your time, I am also going to post this in both 19th and 20th Group sections.

Irishsquid
02-08-2013, 01:02
When I was drilling with B/1/20th SFG(A), living in Texas, they drilled monthly, but allowed me to do bi-monthly or quarterly drills. I would just come in for a solid week every 2-3 months, and they were cool with that. In general, they were very willing to work with me.

That said, I left B/1/20 in 2010, and have been a 100% civilian for over a year now.

18C4V
02-08-2013, 11:17
Fist of all, you need to comply with the stickies before you start posting.

My jr 18C commutes from North Carolina to California. My company has members who commute from various states to include states where there are SF units. Most of the commuters have team loyalty which is very appreciated by thier Detachment leadership.

Our unit drills 8 times a year with the first/fouth/seventh/tenth month being a MUTA 4 (one weekend) and the second,fifth,eight/eleventh months beign a MUTA 8 (Thurs-Sunday) all other months are non drilling.

JWild
02-08-2013, 14:31
18C4V, I apologize for my lack of SA in regards to my bio. I could have sworn I posted one a long time ago, but I should have double checked.

Thank you for the insight, does your unit allow non-qual'd personnel to travel from other locations or is that something usually reserved for those who are already 18 series Soldiers?

18C4V
03-04-2013, 12:35
Thank you for the insight, does your unit allow non-qual'd personnel to travel from other locations or is that something usually reserved for those who are already 18 series Soldiers?

We have non qual guys who commute from various states to California. I do know of one guy who commuted from Hawaii but he didn't last very long.