PDA

View Full Version : copying media question

Sacamuelas
10-28-2004, 08:34
Guys/gals-

I am converting all my home movies currently on miniDV cassettes into actual DVD discs for home theatre playback. I have run into a problem. It takes a good amount of processing time to convert the digital media into actual DVD format and burn the dvd. It works great and the discs seem to have no compatability problems playing in several different brand DVD home TV players.

However, I have a problem if I want to make a duplicate copy of the new DVD later(ie: after the DVD creator program has been closed or on another day after someone requests a copy). When I try to do this with my DVD software(sonic), it starts going through the whole media conversion process again instead of just copying from my DVD drive to the DVD-Rw drive. It won't burn from DVD to DVD-Rw without trying to reformat the media.

Can one of you recommend a simple copy program (preferably freeware) that I could download to allow a simple exact replica copy from DVD to DVD drive? I assume that is all I need. Thanks

Kyobanim
10-28-2004, 08:51
You won't find a "good" one that's freeware. You should have an option when you're creating a new DVD to make multiple copies. I know it's not what you want but you might go ahead and make 2 or 3 copies if you think it's something that you might want to give out. Other than that you're probably going to have to purchase something unless you have a really good friend with a good software collection. I use what you use.

FYI, the longer the rendering process on a conversion like you're doing, the better quality movie you'll get. This applies to movies of sign theives also.

Sacamuelas
10-28-2004, 10:28
I use the longest time/most complete setting for the conversion. I also only write at 2.4x or something like that so that it has a better chance of error prevention. So far, so good.

I will see if the computer geek ;) ...errr... expert here at work has a version of a copying program that will work for me from his home collection. I just wasn't sure if I was missing something with the sonic program. Thanks Kyo

Kyobanim
10-28-2004, 10:43
I will see if the computer geek ;) ...errr... expert here at work has a version of a copying program that will work for me from his home collection. I just wasn't sure if I was missing something with the sonic program. Thanks Kyo

That's Uber Geek to you buddy :D