PDA

View Full Version : Alice pack SOTM antenna

Loword
01-30-2013, 15:06
Hi guys, just wondering if anyone has been able to sucessfully build a SAT on the move antenna capable of fitting in the top rucksack flap? I played with the full wave Tx/Rx antenna for a while but it's too large for even the main bag of my alice pack. Last week I built a 14ga copper half wave X-wing with phasing harness that had a 52% signal strength on my 117G and was perfect size. Problem was it could only Tx on my MBITR. I can do the same with 2x 9" pieces of 12ga copper wire so not much to talk about there. We dont have LNA's here so that's not an option. Im out in the middle of nowhere with minimal supplies but a serious need to send voice without breaking into my ruck. I am starting to get the feeling a ruck flap MBITR SAT antenna is like asking to pick up a turd from the clean end. Just figured I would ask before I commit to taking the 117G everywhere. Thanks guys.

Chris

Electron
02-06-2013, 11:11
Here is a link in this forum that has numerous expedient antenna ideas

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37130

I would hazard to say that experimentation is the best learning tool. Keep tinkering with the antenna idea and eventually you will crack the code and find something that will work. Flat (SOTM) antennae have been tried before but to my knowledge they marginally worked if at all.