PDA

View Full Version : A three part quiz

rubberneck
10-27-2004, 13:46
It goes without saying that you can't cheat and look up the answers to the following three questions.

1) What is the english translation of molon labe?
2) Who uttered the phrase and under what circumstances?
3) What American group has adopted the phrase as their statement over government's oppression?

vacation81
10-27-2004, 14:15
1) "Come and get them!"

2) Used by the Spartans at Thermopylae when the Persians asked the Spartans to lay down their arms.

3) I don't know specifically, but I'll say the NRA.

Vacation81

Achilles
10-27-2004, 16:50
1 Come and get them.

2 King Leonidas, his answer to Xerxes's (Persian emperor) request to drop their weapons. Xerxes was so impressed by Spartans' stand at the Hot Gates (~200 men vs about a million persians at a narrow mountain pass held for 8 days) that he offered them complete control over all of Greece if they surrendered.

3 ??

Solid
10-27-2004, 16:58
I've seen some guys from the 82nd wearing hats with Molon Labe written on it..?

It's be appropriate for the NRA, though.

Solid

Razor
10-27-2004, 19:35
More importantly, what does this have to do with Bear Pit topics of discussion?

Achilles
10-27-2004, 22:54
"More importantly, what does this have to do with Bear Pit topics of discussion?"

Less than a week after I read "Gates of Fire" I enlisted with an 18X contract. The valor of the Spartans at the Hot Gates would be too hard for me to put into words, much less fit in a forum reply. It fits the bear pit topics of discussion because it epitomizes Warriorhood at its finest. The actions the Spartans took at the Hot Gates trivializes any situation we could find ourselves in. By learning what the Spartans went through, it helps us learn what it takes to be true Warriors, dispell fear and get in the mindset we need to be in to fight above and far beyond any limitations men usually set on themselves.

rubberneck
10-28-2004, 07:18
More importantly, what does this have to do with Bear Pit topics of discussion?

I guess I thought it had to with having a proper combative mindset.

rubberneck
10-28-2004, 07:20
1 Come and get them.

2 King Leonidas, his answer to Xerxes's (Persian emperor) request to drop their weapons. Xerxes was so impressed by Spartans' stand at the Hot Gates (~200 men vs about a million persians at a narrow mountain pass held for 8 days) that he offered them complete control over all of Greece if they surrendered.

3 ??

1) Yes
2) Yes
3) While it has been used by gun owners from time to time it is increasingly being used by Neo-Nazi/Whit Supremacy groups to show their willingness to fight governmental tyranny, which IMHO is a shame because at least the Spartan's cause was a noble one.

Razor
10-28-2004, 08:01
Ok, I'll buy the mindset explanation.