PDA

View Full Version : New Front loaded SOCM course

Sonofagunny
01-26-2013, 14:54
I'm a wheeled vehicle REMF in pogue land waiting to PCS to Bragg for SOCM and then the Q. As such, I have no mentors or buddies who are one or two steps ahead of me in the pipeline. At SFAS, the xrays all seemed to have a huge advantage in that they knew what to expect everyday. I have NO idea what to expect when I get to Bragg!!

I used the search bar and couldn't find anything about the new front loaded SOCM course. Is there anybody here that has recently begun or completed this portion of the pipeline that would like to give me some advice? Also, I'd honestly appreciate any advice from you gentlemen that are further along in your careers as an 18D as well.

Eagle5US
01-26-2013, 15:03
The front loaded course will be no different than any of the other courses. Any "self prep" advice given on the boards to this point for folks doing SOCM after SUT would be the same as if given for before SUT.
When you get there, wake up, Study hard, do your best, and repeat daily. No need to climb a mountain in Nepal for that answer - it's all pretty straight forward.

SF_BHT
01-26-2013, 15:13
Why does everyone these days try to get mentors, Intel etc etc etc.

I remember when I put in and went to training group I had no idea what I had ahead of me except it would suck and I needed to do 200% from that point on. Took it day by day and learned to love the suck.

I knew that I had to be physically and mentally prepared and they would teach me what I needed to know. I have never stopped learning since then.

Sonofagunny
01-26-2013, 15:24
...the Sergeant Major at selection told us that we would be absolute IDIOTS not to try and get as much information about the future stages of the course as possible. His words, not mine...

In addition, as I previously stated, the 18Xs seemed to have a vast knowledge of what was going to happen the next day, and the next day, etc. This gave them a distinct advantage. I assume that all of the guys in holding pattern at Bragg are receiving intel about the course, and this will assist them in their preparations. I'm not looking for a cheaters advantage, but rather a level chance.

Why are some of you so eager to jump down somebody's throat but so unwilling to help?

SF_BHT
01-26-2013, 15:32
...the Sergeant Major at selection told us that we would be absolute IDIOTS not to try and get as much information about the future stages of the course as possible. His words, not mine...

In addition, as I previously stated, the 18Xs seemed to have a vast knowledge of what was going to happen the next day, and the next day, etc. This gave them a distinct advantage. I assume that all of the guys in holding pattern at Bragg are receiving intel about the course, and this will assist them in their preparations. I'm not looking for a cheaters advantage, but rather a level chance.

Why are some of you so eager to jump down somebody's throat but so unwilling to help?

First calm down and quit taking a comment the wrong way.

Second I was just making a comment and did not quote you or any one else. It was my observation with the difference between when I went through pre Internet and google.

I have helped with advise a lot over the years and have also help several good men get into SF. There is a difference in knowing the traing schedule and getting G2 that is considered getting a unfair advantage over your classmates. A good example from my days was land nav. Getting tips on how to navigate better was ok but going out and getting G2 on the course got you booted.

Enjoy training.

Aequitas
01-26-2013, 15:34

Why do you think you are at such a disadvantage? Why are you acting like an entitled ass...? You got responses yet you choose to throw back words b/c it wasn't the response you wanted? Do a search and look up the advice people gave here concerning the med portion. If you feel you are at a disadvantage b/c you don't know what to expect the next day then please turn in your pink card now and go back to what you did before...

Eagle5US
01-26-2013, 15:45
Why do you think you are at such a disadvantage? Why are you acting like an entitled ass...? You got responses yet you choose to throw back words b/c it wasn't the response you wanted? Do a search and look up the advice people gave here concerning the med portion. If you feel you are at a disadvantage b/c you don't know what to expect the next day then please turn in your pink card now and go back to what you did before...
CHRIST ON A CRACKER!

WHAT HE SAID:rolleyes:

Boo fucking hoo...

I can see it now:
What do you mean we are doing an infil into a denied area? How come WE don't get to know what's going to happen next? The other Teams went someplace where there was already a FOB set up and they knew what they were getting into. They even had Green Beans and an MWR. Why can't we go there instead?!?:boohoo

Just stop posting kid. You have a lot of growing up to do and with any luck, the Q course will help you get there.

Oddly, I am no longer surprised that someone with your "personal presentation" gets through selection...on a somewhat "regular" basis...:rolleyes:

shortbrownguy
01-26-2013, 15:55

I'm guessing your translation of what the SGM said was to find a website full of QP's and make an ass out of yourself by back talking, and coming off as a arrogant schoolboy who didn't get the answer he wanted.

Feel free to continue down that road. I was there during that brief, and can say without a doubt that this is NOT the approach he had in mind...

SBG sends.

Sonofagunny
01-26-2013, 16:35
My my, how the insults are flung!! ;)

I merely pointed out the obvious... Some guys jump down throats and offer no help... and asked for an explanation. I don't think that would be insulting, unless jumping down someone's throat was considered a negative action.

Anyway, thanks to y'all that PMed offering assistance. The advice is much appreciated and will be put to good use.

I wish y'all the best.

The Reaper
01-26-2013, 17:00
My my, how the insults are flung!! ;)

I merely pointed out the obvious... Some guys jump down throats and offer no help... and asked for an explanation. I don't think that would be insulting, unless jumping down someone's throat was considered a negative action.

Anyway, thanks to y'all that PMed offering assistance. The advice is much appreciated and will be put to good use.

I wish y'all the best.

Check the attitude, or find a new place to post.

TR

Surgicalcric
01-26-2013, 17:19
<<SNIP>>

No one here has jumped down anyone's throat. You got candid comments from SF qualified guys, not unlike you will receive when/if you get to an ODA. We don't hold hands or sugar coat things and if you can't handle that don't bother PCSing.

As for the 18x's upper hand, that ended at SFAS. Once in the SFQC they will not have preparatory courses for each phase of training as they did in SOPC. Furthermore, it doesn't matter where SOCM falls within the SFQC - it is the same course work and will require the same dedication to studying. Trying to get a leg up will do you no favors once on a team...

And lastly, this is a small community. Be careful who you mouth off to, you may find yourself standing in front of them again one day...

Crip

sinjefe
01-26-2013, 17:24
It is amazing anyone passed the course prior to the advent of the internet

Sonofagunny
01-26-2013, 17:59
Thanks Cric!! I have read a great deal of your posts. As this one is, they are usually thoughtful, full of accurate information, and "candid". I appreciate them.

As for the G2 factor; there are many aspiring 18B, 18C, and 18Es here in my local "Passed SFAS, waiting for further instructions" herd. Many of these guys are getting information sent back from guys further down the line about what to expect. I imagine that the people who are actually THERE at Fort Bragg are getting even more information. Me? I'm the only 18D hopeful here, so I've got squat.

The information that I DO get here (*edit* AT FORT RILEY, NOT PS.COM!!) is usually from jaded soldiers who made it only so far until they failed. I find their "advice" to be bitter and not so helpful.

I am not looking for a cheat to help me pass. I want to be the Valedic-fucking-torian!! I am not the guy who wants to just-get-by. I truly aspire to absorb all the information that I can and present myself to a Team as the best Special Forces medic that I could possibly be.

distance-runner
01-26-2013, 20:54
PM me if you have any questions on SOCM, I'm finishing it up next week. We have 22 of the original 70 that we started with back in April still in our class. You're basically only allowed one academic recycle into the class behind, before you get the boot/possible reclass depending on your board.
You've got 7 big blocks of training that last around 6 weeks each: EMT, A&P, ClinMed, Trauma 1, Trauma 2, Trauma 3, & Rotations. Study & train hard! It will consume you academically early on and will finally get practical in the Trauma blocks. It's not easy or chill and it's totally worth it!!

CANOPYx3
01-27-2013, 14:00
SOCM is 36 weeks. It will qualify you as a 68W W1 should you complete it. My advice to you is study hard and make that your only goal at the time to complete SOCM. Do not get distracted by fellow students or others you know when you arrive. Make sure that you are conducting PT on your own in preparation for entering the SFQC. Regimental PT standards are now week 1. We don't care whether or not you completed SOCM. If you do not meet those standards you WILL be dropped and returned to your previous MOS.

Sonofagunny
01-27-2013, 16:11
Canopy, thanks for the heads up on PT standards being of serious importance upon reaching the Q. I have been preparing and will never stop preparing. Also, thanks for the advice concerning SOCM. I have no intention of being Mr. Fun while at Fort Bragg. I am encouraging my wife to go on her own adventures to California, Taiwan, or wherever else... I can love her later in life. While at Fort Bragg, it's business.

Runner, PM sent.

Scamilton
01-28-2013, 19:01
Glad you realigned your demeanor. Wouldn't want a guy coming from Riley to make the rest of us who came from there look bad.

I'm currently in SOCM, and as long as you put in the time to study then you should get the results you want. AT THE LEAST, study 2 - 3 hours a night, and just find the formula that works best for you to retain the information.

Preread the chapters, make flash cards, and find study guides using the accompanying websites from the books or Quizlet. If you use Quizlet, make sure the information is vetted, and accurate.

Other than that, there really isn't any information to be had. Work / study hard, respect the instructors, and stay in shape.

Sonofagunny
01-28-2013, 19:53
Scam...I definitely didn't mean to misrepresent Fort Riley!!

Thanks for the assistance and the guidance. I am focusing on setting myself up for a very studious lifestyle, with ample time allowed for physical fitness.

Also... an apology to anyone in the community that I disrespected. I am only looking for the chance to earn your respect. I welcome any guidance, including "candid" advice. Thank you.

blue02hd
01-29-2013, 05:50
I am not looking for a cheat to help me pass. I want to be the Valedic-fucking-torian!! I am not the guy who wants to just-get-by. I truly aspire to absorb all the information that I can and present myself to a Team as the best Special Forces medic that I could possibly be.

Put the shovel down Francis, stop posting, and go PT. You've been given advice that you will either follow or not. Some of that advice from an Officer who you very likely could meet soon and yet you still persist. Is it success you want or the last word? The only disadvantage you are at right now is via the reputation you are forming here.

If you want to graduate you will. You'll find a way to make it happen or you will quit. Talking shit on this forum means absolutely nothing. Well, it is slightly entertaining, but Francis, we're not laughing with ya, we're laughing at ya.

Sonofagunny
01-29-2013, 18:26
Again, let me reiterate my apology. I did not intend to insult anybody's intelligence or professionalism, but can see how I did. I hope my errors will not be held against me.

As well, thank you very much for the help. Before posting, I had looming questions about the most basic aspects of what I'm preparing myself for. Many of you have helped, and this is appreciated.

rab97
02-17-2013, 12:56
As for you other "helpful" Q-Course studs offering up advice about a portion of the pipeline on an open forum....STFU!!! If you want to talk about in person PM me and I will come discuss the problems I have with you providing your 2 cents. I'm real close by now since I'm SWCS instructor and several of my friends are instructors at the JSOMTC. So again STFU!

stfesta
02-17-2013, 14:51
I have always found it best to go into any course blind and with an open mind. You will do better work if you don't have "limits".

Trust in your training up to this point. Trust your instructors, no one is out to be a badge protector. You either pass or fail on your merits and your merits alone.

Most importantly, trust yourself. The only job you should be ashamed of, is one not done properly.

Please be cautious with your posts, this is a very small community.
Just my $0.02.
sf

Sonofagunny
02-17-2013, 17:44
Again, sincere apologies to anyone offended.

Additionally, a big thank you to everyone who offered guidance. Nobody G2ed the course for me, but I have received thoughtful advice from men that I hold as role models of success. I am proud to learn from such intelligent and considerate leadership.

All advice has been heeded and will be put to good use.

whocares175
03-19-2013, 20:29
What questions do you still have about the delta course? When i went through the q course i had several friends in various phases and several other who were cadre. I had quite a bit of a "heads up" and you know what good it did me.....none. I still had to pass based on my own merits. I'll give you all the info i remember about the course that I'm allowed to talk about without violating OPSEC that you want to know. Other than setting aside scheduling concerns it'll do you no good. Hell when i come back for SOCMSSC in a few months ill even sit down at hooters and have a few beers with you and we can discuss it in person, you're buying though. The moral of what I'm telling you is simply this: take each day as it comes, do your best, be thankful you passed when your buddy failed and never quit. I could sit down and teach you everything you need to know to pass the delta course but guess what, it'll take at least a year and considering one day you may be using what you learn on me, one of my buddies, your buddies or god forbid, yourself, I'm still gonna hold you to the same standard. So if your only question is "whats changed with SOCM?" Its simple: they put the med blocks section of SFMS in SOCM making it two months longer and providing all SOF medics the same skill set with which to conduct sick call. SOCM is front loaded so that when you're done you do the rest of the course with the same IODA. SFMS is now the same length as the other MOS's. The hope is to eliminate the "unfriendliness" many medics encountered going into Sage.

semper.porro
07-02-2013, 20:31
Recently completed SOCM (the new preloaded version)- so here's my bit:

I read all the literature and advice could get my hands on prior to starting, and it helped having friends ahead of me in the course, but honestly in the end it didn't help much at all. What matters is how willing you are to put time and effort into your studies. The class structure changed twice just in the 10 months I spent there, so usually any intel ended up hurting more than helping. The truth is you need to crack down and develop good study habits, especially during the first few months of classroom work, and be able to maintain a good PT schedule. While you do quite a bit of good organized PT, there is plenty of time to smoke yourself on your own time, and you need to if you wanna be in the right shape when you head back to finish the rest of the course.
Also don't expect an easier time just because it's a heavy classroom environment, the standards are stricter than they used to be, and they won't tolerate long hair ('SOCM haircuts'), lax physical training, etc.
In short- get your mind ready by minimizing distraction and developing good study habits, and don't let your PT suffer, in fact- amp it up.