PDA

View Full Version : From women in combat to top brass

BMT (RIP)
01-26-2013, 06:16
http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/on-leadership/from-women-in-combat-to-top-brass/2013/01/25/550494de-6715-11e2-9e1b-07db1d2ccd5b_story.html?wpisrc=nl_headlines

Are we going to have SHAKE&BAKE O-6's and above??

BMT

Richard
01-26-2013, 08:20
Are we going to have SHAKE&BAKE O-6's and above??

I don't understand your question.

Richard :munchin

Pete
01-26-2013, 08:43
I don't understand your question.

How long does it take to go from a 2LT to the 18th Airborne Corps Commander?

Peregrino
01-26-2013, 09:21
Sounds like a clarion call for ambitious female LTCs and COLs from CS/CSS to submit branch transfer requests - after all, leading CA Soldiers will be a piece of cake compared to what they've been doing. Then they can have their cake and eat it too.

Richard
01-26-2013, 09:26
How long does it take to go from a 2LT to the 18th Airborne Corps Commander?

"Shake & Bake" was a 6 month basic entry program to prepare a soldier coming out of BCT/AIT and exhibiting a certain level of intelligence, demonstrated learning and duty performance, and leadership potential to assume the entry-level NCO duties of a Squad Leader, a SGT. Once graduated, they competed equally with everyone else for further promotion.

A similar comparison for Officers would be OCS to prepare them to be an entry-level Platoon Leader and then, again, once graduated, competed for further promotion with their peers.

As far as "Skills for Stripes" type programs go, there was such a program during RVN to acquire established levels of technical performance from professions such as the medical field, whereby MDs with years of experience and board certification in highly specialized fields (neuro and opthalmic surgeons were two I remember meeting), were brought into the military at ranks of 0-5/0-6 and put through a sort of 6 week "Shake & Bake" intro course at places like BAMC. However, they were strictly technicians, were not commanders, and understood that GO was not in their futures.

To that end, I'm still not sure I understand BMT's question in reference to the article .

Pete
01-26-2013, 09:38
To that end, I'm still not sure I understand BMT's question in reference to the article .

The libs ain't gonna' wait for the normal carrier progression.

Once this goes through you're going to see demands to see it reflected in the next year or two's promotion lists.

Peregrino
01-26-2013, 09:41
It's simple. Shake and Bake was a series of programs intended to meet wartime leadership shortages in a draft Army. In order to meet percentages and ensure "adequate representation of women at all levels of command structure" some will have to be "annointed" Combat Arms, standards be damned. Hence the reference to "Shake & Baking" O-6 females for command positions to meet political exigencies. I sincerely hope the learning curve isn't disasterous for their Soldiers. Tough luck for the quality male officers who will now be denied opportunities to compete for a command that they've earned so a female who is marginally qualified can be selected to "redress historical imbalances".

Richard
01-26-2013, 10:22
OK - I see what you're saying - BUT - do we really see changing a system in which such levels of command are given to those who have already proven themselves as fully "branch qualified" at lower levels of command/staff or are cross-branched in a way similar to what SF Branch does?

I certainly hope not.

If we change it, will it be called "grandmothering in"? :p

bjm300
01-26-2013, 10:36
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jan/25/gen-dempsey-hints-bar-likely-lowered-female-combat/

MR2
01-26-2013, 19:45
Then they can have their cake and eat it too.

Was that a snide comment regarding DADT? :munchin

orion5
01-26-2013, 19:49
Was that a snide comment regarding DADT? :munchin

Oh, now that's really funny! :D:D