PDA

View Full Version : Standards?? What Standards??? We Don't Need No Stinking Standards!!!

OldNCranky
01-25-2013, 12:04
http://cnsnews.com/news/article/gen-dempsey-if-women-can-t-meet-military-standard-pentagon-will-ask-does-it-really-have

Gen. Martin Dempsey, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said Thursday that with women now eligible to fill combat roles in the military, commanders must justify why any woman might be excluded – and, if women can’t meet any unit’s standard, the Pentagon will ask: “Does it really have to be that high?”

Dempsey, who is at the pinnacle of the military’s top brass, was asked by a reporter: “You indicated that -- well, at least it sounds like that there may be certain combat operational forays that women might be excluded from still. I mean, what would be the reasons for that? What sorts of operations?”

Dempsey replied: “No, I wouldn't put it in terms of operations, Jim. What I would say is that, as we look at the requirements for a spectrum of conflict, not just COIN, counterinsurgency, we really need to have standards that apply across all of those.”

He added: “Importantly, though, if we do decide that a particular standard is so high that a woman couldn't make it, the burden is now on the service to come back and explain to the secretary, why is it that high? Does it really have to be that high? With the direct combat exclusion provision in place, we never had to have that conversation.”

Pete
01-25-2013, 12:14
Hmmmm, the standards were not too high when females were excluded.

But now that females are included the standards might be too high because women might not be able to pass them.

So the standards will be lowered so that the proper % of females can pass.

If they lower them to the point 25% of the females can pass - guys you'll have a cake walk.

Badger52
01-25-2013, 12:24
If they lower them to the point 25% of the females can pass - guys you'll have a cake walk.What's a middle-schooler's 'book-bag' weigh these days?

Sohei
01-25-2013, 12:46
If the standards weren't meant to face changes, then the standards shouldn't have ever been mentioned. They should of simply indicated that women can now try for those MOS's.

BKKMAN
01-25-2013, 13:01
This USA Today editorial points at GEN Dempsey's longheld belief in overturning the combat exclusion and also the general progressive mindset about women in combat arms...

USA Today editorial (http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2013/01/24/women-in-combat-panetta/1863067/)

Stiletto11
01-25-2013, 17:34
Sh..t rolls down hill, in my opinion there will be political pressure to integrate women into combat MOS's/Branches. They will want to make a statement that the "mandate" is being met. We can only hope that the standards won't be compromised but PC often is the trump card. Just my 1 Cents worth (currency devaluation),

Dusty
01-25-2013, 17:42
If the standards weren't meant to face changes, then the standards shouldn't have ever been mentioned. They should of simply indicated that women can now try for those MOS's.

That's exactly right.

Surgicalcric
01-25-2013, 20:29
Oh please let them come to WRNMMC while I am here...

I have already told the SECDEF what this SF NCO thinks of double standards ...

Remington Raidr
01-25-2013, 20:41
if you bleed when shot, you make the cut.

Hell, if you bleed even when you are not shot.

The New Standard.:D

Ghost_Team
01-25-2013, 20:52
I was thinking about this the other day, and I came up with the conclusion that this is due to the winding down of OIF and OEF and the political winds shifting us into their perception of a "peacetime army." They plan to have this up and running and all worked out before the next time the shooting starts and people start dying, that way it will be too late to change it.

Just like DADT, once this Pandora's box gets opened, there is no closing it.

AngelsSix
01-26-2013, 17:35
I was thinking about this the other day, and I came up with the conclusion that this is due to the winding down of OIF and OEF and the political winds shifting us into their perception of a "peacetime army." They plan to have this up and running and all worked out before the next time the shooting starts and people start dying, that way it will be too late to change it.

Just like DADT, once this Pandora's box gets opened, there is no closing it.

Exactly.

"Let's get this done now so no one has time to really piss and moan about it, because we are in debt up to our eyeballs, we are spreading our military all over the G-d damned globe and gays/women have rights too, you guys!"

I swear I can actually hear that voice in my head saying that, you know the one.:munchin