PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Single Stack

ccrn
01-17-2013, 14:54
Greetings All
I carry HK exclusively but am currently seeking a handgun with a slimmer profile.

Pretty much the only conclusions Ive come up with are the Glock 36 and Walther PPK. Im aware of many of the tiny guns ie Kahr but dont consider them to be very reliable.

For my money (and life) HK and Glock are the only handguns Id carry by choice and Im not really a huge fan Glock. I consider these two brands to be the gold standard of combat reliability. Wlather seems to have a good reputation but Im not that familiar with them and Ive never personally seen them carried in combat.

Any suggestions are mucho appreciated-
v/r

JJ_BPK
01-17-2013, 15:18
Greetings All
I carry HK exclusively but am currently seeking a handgun with a slimmer profile.

Pretty much the only conclusions Ive come up with are the Glock 36 and Walther PPK. I'm aware of many of the tiny guns ie Kahr but dont consider them to be very reliable.

For my money (and life) HK and Glock are the only handguns Id carry by choice and Im not really a huge fan Glock. I consider these two brands to be the gold standard of combat reliability. Wlather seems to have a good reputation but Im not that familiar with them and Ive never personally seen them carried in combat.

Any suggestions are mucho appreciated-
v/r

You seem to be looking for something smaller.. But you didn't state caliber??

If you want a 9MM, there are many many LE departments that have had success with S&W 39xx and 59xx models.

My current favorite is the CS9. It's out of production, but available. For a little more length & weight, the 39xx.. (c attached CS9 vs 3913)

I also like the S&W Ti series of J frames, in 39+P. My 342 only weights 10.5 oz empty.. (c attached 342)

tonyz
01-17-2013, 16:21
Just throwing out the SIG 239 - slim, single stack, reliable, accurate. Not cheap but you already own HK so sticker shock shouldn't be a problem.

239's are available in 9mm, .40 and .357 SIG.

koz
01-17-2013, 16:48
The Springfield XD-S.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSBZtl8bMh4

I'd go with the new 9mm. As far as reliability, it's just as reliable as the Glock except in -40F temps. It had a couple more malfunctions (out of 5000 rds). Otherwise is ran neck and neck with the Glock.
This was from the full size tests, but both the sub-compact pistols from Glock and Springfield are just as reliable as their big brothers.

Dusty
01-17-2013, 16:49
Colt New Agent

T7L
01-17-2013, 20:11
+1 on the XD-S

It's slim, accurate and it's a .45. It will be available in 9mm very soon if not already.

You might have seen the color "full size" adds in a number of gun magazines recently. It is really that slim.

cbtengr
01-17-2013, 20:51
Dittoes on the XDS but good luck finding one, I went looking last Sat. store in Cedar Rapids had two of them, good price but I did not have my permit to purchase yet. Got the permit on Tues. went shopping Wed. morning none to be had, now I am on a list. There are a lot of them on Gun Broker but going for a premium, I can wait. I did pick up a bunch of .45 ACP for .59 a round, how much is anyone else paying for ammo?

+1 on the XD-S

It's slim, accurate and it's a .45. It will be available in 9mm very soon if not already.

You might have seen the color "full size" adds in a number of gun magazines recently. It is really that slim.

SF18C
01-17-2013, 22:03
Taurus PT709 in 9MM???

http://www.gunblast.com/Taurus-PT709.htm

I don't have the 709 but I do have 111, really the only difference is that is a double stack.

ES 96
01-18-2013, 04:42
Perhaps the Sig 290RS?

http://www.gunblast.com/SIG-P290RS.htm

~5.56"Lx1"Wx4.15"H

6+1 9mm (147gr Fed HST)

mdpatterson
01-18-2013, 06:15
You need to give a bit more info on how/where/when/what you want to carry. If you're just looking for a slim profile and money doesn't matter, get an Ed Brown/Wilson Combat/Nighthawk etc. 4.25" bobtail commander. If you don't like 1911's, get a S&W 360 pd or 340pd. If price is an issue, I would suggest staying indoors. I'm not tring to be a smartass here, just trying to make you think about your decision as someone made me a few years back.

I've owned many "Carry" guns that I never carried because they were a hassle. The only firearms I carry are ones that I would trust 100% of the time. My life and my loved ones are worth more than any firearm I have ever seen for sale.

Think about what you intend to protect, how you intend to carry and what feels right in your hands. Then shoot it until you are bored with it and then shoot some more.

Good luck in your search and I hope you find what you need, and never need to use it.

Mike

FILO
01-18-2013, 08:05
Smith & Wesson Bodyguard 380 with 6 +1. I purchased it about a month ago and is perfect for me here in Florida since I'm usually in t-shirt and shorts when I'm not working. I use a Dessantis pocket holster and I'm good, very concealable. The only issue I have was getting used to the long pull but once you put a few rounds rounds through it you can learn to anticipate the brake and the final pull is smooth. Also it has an integrated laser which some folks don't like but I do. Finally I bought mine brand new for under $400 which makes it very affordable and there's a lifetime warrantee.

ccrn
01-20-2013, 12:19
You seem to be looking for something smaller.. But you didn't state caliber?? (c attached 342)

Sorry about that.

Right now I carry .45 ACP and 9mm. If I even see a .45 ACP round it brings a smile to my face but truthfully Ive shot a LOT more 9mm.

I bought both of my HK pistols used for under 500 dollars each. A gunsmith told me both barrels were around "90%" at the time of purchase. I always look for quality used if I can. But at the price of some of these Glocks and Walthers etc new isnt really a problem.

Thanks, everyone for the insight-
v/r

The Reaper
01-20-2013, 14:03
I like the XD-S as well.

The 9x19 version debuted at SHOT, it gives you 7+1 rounds over the .45's 5+1.

It is very flat, is only slightly bigger than the Ruger LC9, and a lot less clunky.

Your call though.

TR

Rob_Frey
01-20-2013, 16:56
I've hesitated suggesting this one because they're unobtanium now, but the S&W Shield in 9mm is what I will get, if one ever comes in stock again.

Dusty
01-20-2013, 17:07
Post deleted.