PDA

View Full Version : LCP problem - seeking advice

dac
01-17-2013, 08:45
Good morning gents,

I don't get to shoot as much as I like to anymore, but I try to go once a month to stay proficient with my carry pistols. I went last week and the H&K was beautiful, as always, but the LCP was not.

Neither me nor my LE buddy could hit the paper from 20-ish yards, typically not a problem. We each put 2 mags through it with no hits. If it was just me, I would call it user error. I have since taken it apart and cleaned it, but can't even begin to know where to look for problems before I take it back out.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

david

Dusty
01-17-2013, 08:46
That's a 2-yardish gun, for one thing.

dac
01-17-2013, 09:06
Yeah, that's true. But I shoot at a public range and I don't like to stop everybody so I can move my targets between guns. Every time before this wasn't a problem.

Dusty
01-17-2013, 09:12
Yeah, that's true. But I shoot at a public range and I don't like to stop everybody so I can move my targets between guns. Every time before this wasn't a problem.

Could be anything, dac. Don't mean to sound brusque, but that's what smiths are for. Why waste (valuable) ammo trying to figure it out?

Blaine
01-17-2013, 09:40
Could it be the guide rod? I just had to replace my P99 guide rod with a stainless one. Resolved all of my accuracy issues.

JJ_BPK
01-17-2013, 09:46
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

david

Have you ever managed to hit the paper at 20 yds, with this pistol, in past outings??

I consider myself a good shot and I have a couple mouse guns, but I would never bother wasting mouse gun ammo trying to be Buffalo Bob..

Antelope shot at 501 yd,, with a pistol (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34pAjXIz7qM) :eek::lifter:D

koz
01-17-2013, 11:44
I'm not an LCP fan and they're not accurate (a very short range gun). Bad sights, heavy trigger, and short sight radius all contribute to the problem.

Can you hit a target at 5 or 10 yds? How are your groups at the short distances?

One suggestion is to find a mud bank and shoot at something (like a bottle). You should be able to see your impacts. Perhaps you're shooting over /under the target....???

dac
01-17-2013, 17:30
Have you ever managed to hit the paper at 20 yds, with this pistol, in past outings??

Yup, for the most part this gun has been good to me. I wasn't getting groups, but I could get every round on paper at 20 yards.

The range is nearby, so I can try again at 5 and 10 yards to see if I can figure out a general direction. Then I may go the smith route.

koz
01-17-2013, 20:33
Have you changed ammo?

Dusty
01-18-2013, 08:07
That gun was made for firefights in elevators. Instead of spending any more money on .380, just give a gunsmith a few bucks to made it hit a pie pan out to 21 feet. If it's cycling, it can't be anything major-the whole piece is less than 300 bucks, right?

Badger52
01-18-2013, 09:10
Yeah, that's true. But I shoot at a public range and I don't like to stop everybody so I can move my targets between guns. Every time before this wasn't a problem.Drive around post-election to the losers' houses and pick up their croquet-wicket style candidate signs. They make great target backers. Keep a couple in the vehicle along with a couple of big clips and just plop one down in front of your shooting position enroute to hang your regular target. (They are also great for just letting a kid run prone drills with their .22 if just out & about since you're not shooting at an up-angle to the berm.)

Just a thought. Hopefully they will be libtard Dem signs you collect.

CDRODA396
01-18-2013, 16:55
I'd send it to Innovative Arms, have them mill in some sights, then polish the chamber, feed ramp and barrel.

http://www.innovativearms.com/id18.html

It'll shoot like a dream, 100% reliable.

Last time I took mine out I grouped 100 rounds in a fist sized group at 10 yds, (not slow fire) far farther than I'd ever use it, but nice to know it is capable of this type performance with a 2.75" barrel.

Dusty
01-18-2013, 17:33
I'd send it to Innovative Arms, have them mill in some sights, then polish the chamber, feed ramp and barrel.

Last time I took mine out I grouped 100 rounds in a fist sized group at 10 yds, (not slow fire) far farther than I'd ever use it, but nice to know it is capable of this type performance with a 2.75" barrel.

There you go. :cool:

Now to find ammo...

dac
01-18-2013, 18:11

That's pretty sexy, I may do that. Did you have to modify your holster? I'm using a crossbreed.

CDRODA396
01-18-2013, 18:33
Did you have to modify your holster? I'm using a crossbreed.

I have a crossbreed for a Glock and 1911, and both have a very deep sight channel...I cant imagine it being an issue with the LCP.

I use a wallet type holser from pocketholsters.com...it is only just larger than a wallet (see pic), and thick enough leather it hasnt "molded" to the gun and "print" through my pocket. Has a "fake" zipper across the top to cover the backstrap in shallower pockets. Since I got this set up, basically havent been unarmed since.

http://www.pocketholsters.com/Ruger_LCP_380_Pocket-Wallet_Ho/ruger_lcp_380_pocket-wallet_holster.html

BTW, I do not work for, or receive compensation in any form from pocketholsters.com! I just love their product.