PDA

View Full Version : MACVSOG & Project Igloo White....

MAB32
01-16-2013, 20:31
I am trying to gain more info on the "Hand-Deilivered" Project Igloo White sensors on the trail in Laos. I have been able to find a few declassified documents on the subject but they don't touch on the hand emplaced sensors by SOG RTs. I know about the ADSIDS, Acuubouy, etc., etc. Also, I have info on the diferrent Project names used before "Igloo White" was.

Is there anybody here who actually had delivered these sensors to different target areas in Laos? If so, I'd like to here your story. Feel free to email if you prefer.

www.rand.org/content/dam/rand/pubs/monograph_reports/MR1408/MR1408.ch2.pdf

:munchin

PSM
01-16-2013, 20:42
I am trying to gain more info on the "Hand-Deilivered" Project Igloo White sensors on the trail in Laos. I have been able to find a few declassified documents on the subject but they don't touch on the hand emplaced sensors by SOG RTs. I know about the ADSIDS, Acuubouy, etc., etc. Also, I have info on the diferrent Project names used before "Igloo White" was.

Is there anybody here who actually had delivered these sensors to different target areas in Laos? If so, I'd like to here your story. Feel free to email if you prefer.

www.rand.org/content/dam/rand/pubs/monograph_reports/MR1408/MR1408.ch2.pdf

:munchin

FYI, I was an instructor in all of the above at Ft. Huachuca in 1969/70.

Pat

MAB32
01-16-2013, 21:05
Can we talk; openly or via e-mail?

PSM
01-16-2013, 21:46
Can we talk; openly or via e-mail?

PM me.

Pat

PSM
01-19-2013, 23:10
My first question actually deals with the small mines delivered with the sensors via air called "Gravel Mines" and "Button Bombs" that were seeded with the sensors such as the ADSIDS and Acubouy.

MAB32's question, in his PM to me, is not about the sensors, but about possible AP (gravel) mines dropped with them. My confusion was his use of the term "button bombs". We had sensors called Noiseless Button Bomblets. I've heard of the Gravel Mines but have no experience with them. I'm also interested any any info regarding them and their use with sensor placement.

Pat

T-Rock
01-20-2013, 03:33
I’m curious if the ASA had any role in the delivery and placement of these sensors, or did they just monitor them?
And to clarify, the 61-63 time frame.

Any links or info regarding the ASA and Igloo White would be greatly appreciated.

PSM
01-20-2013, 10:15
I’m curious if the ASA had any role in the delivery and placement of these sensors, or did they just monitor them?
And to clarify, the 61-63 time frame.

Any links or info regarding the ASA and Igloo White would be greatly appreciated.

What's ASA?

Pat

MAB32
01-20-2013, 15:08
www.liveleak.com/view?i=2d4_1271187276

This is a video of the use of "Gravel Mines". They were airdropped as a CBU. While inside the CBU they were made INERT with liquid Freon. Once they warmed up on the ground they were activated. Although the video looks like it is implying that they could be hand delivered, I am doubtful as it would be extremely dangerous to the user. I belief SF used these in a "defensive" nature for both Recon Teams & SF A-Camps that were about to be over-ran.

My interests lay in both the G/Ms; and the little Button Bombs that were suppose to of been airdropped by either a Jolly Green, A-1E, PV-2 Neptune along with the Acubouy, ADSIDs, SIDs, or anyother sensor that used vibration and/or acoustics to mark the sounds when they went off.

I have a picture of what one G/M looks like on the inside. Being an Ordnance afficiendo myself these things are just simply simple like hand & rifle grenades and other small ordnance.

Just to add an opinion and a very humble opinion at that, our M67 is of an old design and very outdated at that to.

MAB32
01-20-2013, 15:27
www.scribd.com/doc/106811934/Project-CHECO-Southeast-Asia-Report-Igloo-White-1-10-1970-IGLOO-WHITE-U-July-1968-December-1969

This is a most interesting document on the subject of "Igloo White, Dyemarker, etc., etc." that can be found on the internet. I am glad that it was de-classified as almost all "Project Checo" reports are. What is really neat is who this report was sent to while it was classified. This included that secret think study group/tank called "(The) RAND Corporation" back then. The pictures are also a nice add. This is also the earliest and first time that I have seen LORAN mentioned.:munchin

MAB32
01-20-2013, 15:29
Also, about the ASA being mentioned, I do not believe so. That is if you are thinking that those initials belong to the "Army Security Agency", then I would be doubtful.

PSM
01-20-2013, 16:00
www.scribd.com/doc/106811934/Project-CHECO-Southeast-Asia-Report-Igloo-White-1-10-1970-IGLOO-WHITE-U-July-1968-December-1969

This is a most interesting document on the subject of "Igloo White, Dyemarker, etc., etc." that can be found on the internet. I am glad that it was de-classified as almost all "Project Checo" reports are. What is really neat is who this report was sent to while it was classified. This included that secret think study group/tank called "(The) RAND Corporation" back then. The pictures are also a nice add. This is also the earliest and first time that I have seen LORAN mentioned.:munchin

I see that this document is still ASSIFIED, though. ;)

Pat

T-Rock
01-20-2013, 16:57
What's ASA?

Sorry for the confusion…, it’s the United States Army Security Agency.
> http://danhornback.com/ultimatesacrificevietnam/ASAsite.htm

Also, about the ASA being mentioned, I do not believe so. That is if you are thinking that those initials belong to the "Army Security Agency", then I would be doubtful.

I wasn’t sure if the ASA was involved or not in the placement of some of the early sensors via the Radio Research Units during the early years, primarily the 1961-63 timeframe. I think one of the first casualties in the Vietnam War was a member of the ASA, SP4 James T. Davis
http://www.nasaa-home.org/davis/davis.html

It’s hard finding information on this…

PSM
01-20-2013, 18:13
Sorry for the confusion…, it’s the United States Army Security Agency.

Guess I should have used pink. ;) :D

Pat

Dusty
01-20-2013, 18:31
It’s hard finding information on this…

Probably a good reason for that.

MAB32
01-20-2013, 20:13
Not really hard as we use different sensors today. Back then this was all new technology. It was later or may have been in use at this time in Korea in the DMZ.

What I am hoping to gain here is more insight to anybody who used the HANDSIDS or Hand Delivered Seismic Intrusion Devices. I am interested in their use on or near the Truong Son Route. I believe some of you guys in SOG did do some or most of these type of sensors. I'd like to learn more if you did?:munchin

Do you mean hard in finding anything on the ASA or Project Igloo White?

T-Rock
01-20-2013, 21:20
Guess I should have used pink.

It wouldn't have helped much as I'm color blind, and a little slow :D

Do you mean hard in finding anything on the ASA or Project Igloo White?

I'm interested in both, as well as the radio research units and their tasks. Just trying to piece together some old documents from my deceased Uncle's assignments. He started off in Korea and got into the ASA as the Korean War was winding down. I'm inclined to think, but it's hard to tell from the documents.., He worked with the early radio research units in vietnam during the 1961-63 timeframe, and moved on in his latter years of Vietnam to Thailand. His latter years are more easily deciphered from the info I have.

Do you have any book suggestions regarding the Radio Research Units and the ASA in the 60-63 timeframe?

Sorry for the thread Hijack...

MAB32
01-24-2013, 21:32
PSM,

Your inbox is full...

MAB32
01-24-2013, 21:35
T-rock,

I don't know really anything about the ASA and its function. However, do you have any info on him doing any TDY to any airbase in Thailand during the Vietnam War?

ZonieDiver
01-24-2013, 21:37
The ONLY thing I know about ASA is that every one of the guys I met who served in ASA were seriously weird. And not in a good way....

PSM
01-24-2013, 21:38
PSM,

Your inbox is full...

Fixed.

Pat

Richard
01-24-2013, 22:20
I was in Thailand. ASA (7th Radio Research Field Station sites) was separate from the Igloo White functions located in the far corner of NKP.

Richard :munchin

MAB32
02-01-2013, 08:50
So you did some radio monitoring and/or disruption of services to the other side?:munchin