PDA

View Full Version : Supreme Court Appointments

Roguish Lawyer
10-25-2004, 15:50
Rehnquist has cancer, and he's 80.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/10/25/rehnquist/index.html

O'Connor is old too. The winner of the election will have tremendous power over the composition of the Supreme Court -- figure at least two appointments, maybe more.

Let's discuss what you want to see the winner do.

Airbornelawyer
10-25-2004, 16:20
O'Connor is old too. O'Connor is a spring chicken compared to Stevens. He is 84, 10 years older than O'Connor. Ginsburg, BTW, is just three years younger than O'Connor and has also had her health problems. Given her ideological bias, if Kerry wins she may step down, and if he loses she will likely hold out for a few more years.

Bravo1-3
10-26-2004, 00:19
I'll take your word for it AL, but I don't think the GOP is going to lose the Senate. A Kerry Administration (man that hurts to see in writting) is still going to have to clear that hurdle. I think Justice O'Conner stays for at least another 2 years in the case of both a Kerry or a Bush win, if only to see if the Senate will change hands for Kerry.

shootandloot
10-26-2004, 05:12
I actually predicted Chief Justice Renquist to retire after President Bush took office. I thought he would make at least two appointments.

Do you think it had anything to with the Senate stalling the Presidents appointments to lower courts? What was the one man's name? Miguel Estrada, or something like that?

Roguish Lawyer
10-26-2004, 08:46
I'll take your word for it AL, but I don't think the GOP is going to lose the Senate. A Kerry Administration (man that hurts to see in writting) is still going to have to clear that hurdle.

We don't fight nominees the way they do. They fight dirty and to win; we don't.

NousDefionsDoc
10-26-2004, 09:06
I would like to see them all do their jobs instead of trying to change the will of the people from the bench.

Bravo1-3
10-26-2004, 09:19
We don't fight nominees the way they do. They fight dirty and to win; we don't.

Respectfully, I believe we just might start playing dirty after Kerrys comment about how he'd appoint judges.

Stargazer
10-26-2004, 10:40
I think a judge should be judicious ~~ which liberal seems to contradict... :D

DoctorDoom
10-28-2004, 03:33
x