PDA

View Full Version : Ft Bragg soldier killed while hunting

Tree Potato
01-04-2013, 21:53
QP's, on behalf of the uncle-in-law of SSgt Devitto, I respectfully ask those of you in the Ft. Bragg area to take a moment and look at the sketch of a suspect in SSgt Devitto's death in the article linked below. If you have any info on this suspect the sheriff, SSgt Devitto's family, and his unit would appreciate hearing from you.

His funeral service was today; his burial will be on Wednesday, 9 January, in Arlington National Cemetery.

RIP, soldier.

v/r,
TP
-----
http://www.wral.com/lee-authorities-seek-man-truck-in-fatal-shooting-of-hunter/11940359/

Sanford, N.C. — Lee County authorities said Thursday that they are seeking a man and a pickup truck in connection with the fatal shooting of a hunter last month.

Robert Matthew Devitto, 26, of Broadway, was duck hunting by himself on Dec. 18 on state game lands near Gunther Road in Lee County when he was shot. He died three days later.

Investigators said Devitto, a Fort Bragg soldier, was shot at a relatively close range and that the shooter likely knew he or she was shooting at a person. They said it appeared that Devitto had gotten into some kind of confrontation with another hunter, and the shooting wasn't an accident.

The Lee County Sheriff's Office has released a composite sketch of a man seen in the area where Devitto was found. He was described as white, in his 20s, with fair skin and scruffy, reddish facial hair. He was wearing a camouflage hat.

Investigators also are searching for a mid-1990s or early 2000s green Dodge Ram extended-cab pickup that was seen in the area.

Anyone with information is asked to call the sheriff’s office at 919-775-5531 or leave an anonymous tip at 919-718-4577. A cash reward is offered for information leading to an arrest in the case.

Pete
01-05-2013, 05:33
White guy, 20s, scruffy redish facial hair and/or a green Dodge extended cab pickup.

Got it.

While a long ways from Lee County Game Lands - I'll keep my eyes out while in the Uwharrie and Birkhead areas this coming year.

I would hope the police will be able to cross reference vehicle registration with hunting lisences to get a few folks to interview.

While at Woodrun Camp over the New Years weekend we only saw 8 hunters. They were far outnumbered by the Hikers (us) and Mtn Bikers.

As a side note - Nothing to do with this story - The Trail Head bulletin board states it's hunting season and it's recommended that all hikers and riders wear bright colors. Most don't. From chatting with the Hunters it appears the hikers without bright colors don't bother them that much but the bikers, due to speed and quietness on some sections of the trails, do cause them some concern.

Share the woods - they are there for everyone.

airbornediver
01-06-2013, 08:57
They should also tell the hunters to positively ID the target before engaging.

Very sad about your nephew-in-law. May he Rest in Peace and his family find comfort.

Pete
01-06-2013, 10:12
They should also tell the hunters to positively ID the target before engaging. .........

Which is why hikers don't seem to bother the Hunters much. They move at a walking speed.

The bikes move very quickly and pretty quiet in some parts of the trails. A hunter can see a deer, clear the area, bring up the rifle, start to sight in and a biker rockets into the playing field. And the bikers don't always stay on the bike marked trails.

Bright colors on everyone would help.

Tree Potato
01-06-2013, 11:50
They should also tell the hunters to positively ID the target before engaging.

Very sad about your nephew-in-law. May he Rest in Peace and his family find comfort.

To clarify, I'm just a friend of his uncle but reached out to professionals here since a soldier was killed and the eyes and memory skills of a local QP may help find the shooter.

This wasn't an accident; the shooter most likely knew they were shooting at a person at close range following a confrontation.

mangler
01-08-2013, 21:01
Update-

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news%2Flocal&id=8946843

Burnette confirmed to authorities that he had hunted on the Game Lands in question on Dec. 18 and had discharged his shotgun at what he believed to be a deer. Upon checking the area for what he shot, he realized he had shot a man.

Burnette said he told his uncle after they left the area that he believed he had shot another hunter, but neither alerted authorities.

According to a friend who is related to the victim, the local LEO believe he was killed at very short range and there was signs of a confrontation at the scene.

Lan
01-09-2013, 15:04
Who goes deer hunting with a shotgun? RIP soldier.

DIYPatriot
01-09-2013, 15:06
Who goes deer hunting with a shotgun? RIP soldier.

My grandfather did for years. He used a slug and could hit the ball sack of a butterfly with it.

Lan
01-09-2013, 15:38
Shows what I know :o

SF18C
01-09-2013, 16:08

Ever hear of Deer Slugs?

http://www.gameandfishmag.com/2010/09/27/hunting_whitetail-deer-hunting_gf_aa106701a/

DIYPatriot
01-09-2013, 16:17

I mostly use a rifle/muzzle loader/bow, but have had decent success with my 870 loaded with slugs (in some places where I hunt, you're lucky to have good/safe visibility beyond 50 yards). Back to the thread, I hope they have a solid case against the guys that did this. To even think they might've shot someone (and then leave the scene) is disgusting. This soldier fought on for a few more days. With timely treatment, maybe he lives. Very sad. Condolences to his family.

Lan
01-09-2013, 18:21
Ever hear of Deer Slugs?

http://www.gameandfishmag.com/2010/09/27/hunting_whitetail-deer-hunting_gf_aa106701a/

No sir. I've heard the term slug before but I wasn't aware that they could be or are used for hunting deer.

Ghost_Team
01-09-2013, 20:12
No sir. I've heard the term slug before but I wasn't aware that they could be or are used for hunting deer.

I have been hunting in Ohio all my life, and during deer gun season you can't use a high powered rifle. It's too flat, and very open with all the farmland. We have to use a shotgun loaded with slugs, or a pistol with a minimum caliber of I think .357 mag or .38, minimum 6 inch barrel and can only use straight walled cartridges. Been a while since I hunted with a pistol, so I'm not certain.

I'm sure other states have similar restrictions. Matter of fact, I think you have to use slugs on Fort Bragg for deer.

As to the poor soldier who was shot, I hope they charge that bastard with manslaughter at a minimum. I seem to remember something about never shooting at sounds, only what you can see and only when you have a safe shot. If the confrontation angle pans out and holds up in court, I hope they get him for murder.

Ghost_Team
12-31-2013, 14:49
I was hunting the other day, and this thread popped into my mind. My Google-Fu must be weakening in retirement, because I couldn't find anything other than the articles that were written when those two guys were arrested. Anyone know what the final disposition of this is, or whether or not they are even going to trial?

Remington Raidr
12-31-2013, 17:00
I was hunting the other day, and this thread popped into my mind. My Google-Fu must be weakening in retirement, because I couldn't find anything other than the articles that were written when those two guys were arrested. Anyone know what the final disposition of this is, or whether or not they are even going to trial?

12/31/2013
Arraigned Offenses for Case Number: 2013050086 CRS
Arraigned Defendant Name: BURNETTE,STEVEN,CODY
County: LEE
Court Date: 02/03/2014
Session: AM
Court Room: 0002

Offense Code Description Statute
0942 Felony SECOND DEG MURDER W/O REGARD 14-17(B)(1)

Not absolutely sure but the name and date tracks. It is an open prosecution.

TOMAHAWK9521
12-31-2013, 19:52
I have been hunting in Ohio all my life, and during deer gun season you can't use a high powered rifle. It's too flat, and very open with all the farmland. We have to use a shotgun loaded with slugs, or a pistol with a minimum caliber of I think .357 mag or .38, minimum 6 inch barrel and can only use straight walled cartridges. Been a while since I hunted with a pistol, so I'm not certain.

Having been born/raised in Ohio, hunting deer with a shotgun was all I knew until I joined the army and moved out west. Guys out here were stunned and asked, "How the hell do you hunt a deer with a shotgun?" As you said, with few trees and not much variation in the terrain, rifle bullets tend to go a bit farther than one intends.

mangler
01-03-2014, 04:31

The deceased is a good friends nieces husband. I shot him a text and asked him what was up. This was the reply I got-

Both the actors are still incarcerated. The 23 yro who fired the shot was charged with second degree murder without regard for human life. His 52 yro uncle is charged with accessory to second degree murder w/o regard.

He said when he got some more time he would send me an e-mail with the links to a few of the news articles about it.