PDA

View Full Version : Color Vision Question... Haha

DntTrdOnMe
12-29-2012, 20:31
Hello Gentlemen

I have tried diligently to avoid posting a new thread regarding this topic. I've read every single relevant post of the 34 that appeared in my search. I've scoured the internet and emailed recruiters. Alas, I've yet to find a definitive answer for this question, and am hoping one of the many professionals on this site would be willing to offer their insight.

I have a slight color vision deficiency (plan to have my color vision tested by a professional to find out the severity). I don't believe I would pass the PIP test, I'm unsure about the FALANT, but I know I can easily distinguish between Red and Green, and would be able to pass a vivid red/vivid green test.

AR 40-501 states "For Airborne and Special Forces training: Failure to pass the PIP set or FALANT test for color vision (see para 4–2a) unless the applicant is able to identify vivid red and/or vivid green as projected by the Ophthalmological Projector or the Stereoscope, Vision Testing (SVT)." With that said, I have read on multiple occasions of recruits with 18x contracts being DQ'd by MEPS for failing the PIP and or FALANT without ever being given the vivid red/vivid green test. Which leads me to my question.

If I were able to get an 18x contract (I do believe I am qualified and am confident I am what the Special Forces is looking for in its candidates), would I be given a fair shake at MEPS with the option of taking the vivid red/vivid green test, or would I have to cause a scene throwing Army Regulations around to even stand a chance?

I would greatly appreciate it if any of the QP's on this site could offer a definitive answer.

Thank you

Kyobanim
12-29-2012, 20:37
Is this your first post or have you posted an intro in the introductions thread?

Peregrino
12-29-2012, 20:41
The QPs on this site can't give you a definitive answer. Only Recruiting Command, MEPS, or the medical board dealing with your inevitable appeal can give you an answer. Good luck. Please re-post your introduction; it appears to have been part of the "lost thread".

DntTrdOnMe
12-30-2012, 00:55
I did post an introduction when I joined the site in 2010 but will post another.

Dozer523
12-30-2012, 06:31
It appears you have done a good job preparing yourself for a possibile/probable diagnosis. Calmly producing the applicable regulation and requesting the stated remedy in a calm and professional manner is the right course of action.

I have a hard time imagining anyone considering that "as causing a scene". You might have to talk to more than just the test operator or his/her direct supervisor; you might even have to be rescheduled for the regulation referenced test. Exceptions may take time. It does appear the regulation is on your side. Good luck.

DntTrdOnMe
12-30-2012, 10:35
Thank you for your words gentlemen. It won't be an easy journey, but one well worth taking.

Looks like I have some PT to get back to :lifter

Deadhead 63A1
12-31-2012, 04:10
For what it's worth, I am red-green deficient and have been on record as such for every physical exam I've ever had. I can't think of any where the examiner did not give me a vivid red/vivid green test. Sometimes it's been while looking into a machine that displays both, sometimes it's as simple as them holding up a red marker and a green marker and asking me which was which.

My point being that a) there are color-blind SF Soldiers, b) I've had the red-green distinction test for every physical over the course of almost 20 years without having to ask for it, and c) I've never come across a physician who has tried to claim I'm medically disqualified for SF duty.

That being said, I don't doubt the anecdotal situations you've heard about but in the end you're in the right. If you run into something like that I think Dozer's advice is the way to go.

ChuckG
12-31-2012, 17:04
I'm with Deadhead. Always been red/green color blind, but never had any additional test done (in 1972-1992) beyond the dot diagrams that I could never see the numbers on. The only thing I was not allowed to do was attend flight school. I never found it to be a problem and probably had an advantage over most because I could always see thru things that were supposed to be camouflaged. Good luck.

DntTrdOnMe
01-01-2013, 11:14
Thanks for the responses Deadhead and Chuck. Very encouraging to know others with this condition have been approved for SFAS.

ronburgandy
05-24-2013, 07:50
I too have colorblindness, but when I went to get my Airborne physical done I just asked for the FALANT test and they gave it to me. I cannot pass the dot test to save my life. I CAN pass the FALANT test, although it has taken me a couple of tries in the past. Just ask them to give it to you.

MK262MOD1
05-24-2013, 08:11
You need to go post a intro and fill in your profile.

The Reaper
05-24-2013, 11:04
You need to go post a intro and fill in your profile.

It would appear that he has ruleblindedness and ignoredness as well.

ronburgandy, reread the rules at the top of the forums and at the top of this one and comply before you post again.

TR