PDA

View Full Version : Boy with Terminal Cancer sworn in to US Army

echoes
12-22-2012, 06:50
Had not seen this posted, but it is very inspiring and the photos of this little guy in the article are priceless.

Way to go US Army!!! Prayers out for this brave family.

Holly

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2251684/Dreams-come-true-boy-terminal-cancer-10-sworn-U-S-Army.html

Dreams come true for boy with terminal cancer, 10, as he is sworn into U.S. Army

By Victoria Wellman

PUBLISHED:09:55 EST, 21 December 2012

A ten-year-old boy with terminal cancer received the surprise of his young life this week when his dreams of becoming a U.S. soldier came true.

Khalil Quarles, from Baltimore, had longed to enlist in the army for years before an aggressive form of soft tissue cancer attacked his leg and spread to his lungs in 2011.

And so as a special surprise, troops from the 200th Military Command out of Fort Meade paid him a visit on Wednesday to make the boy an honorary serviceman in the United States Army.

Khalil wore a look of awe and shock as he pledged his allegiance. Earlier in the day, while Skyping with a soldier stationed in Kuwait, he had thought things couldn't get better.

But as he hobbled outside on his crutches and saw the crowd assembled on his front lawn, the dreams of this little boy with an incurable disease in that moment came true.

The boy's mother, Cypress Mason told WBal TVof his long battle against the cancer and the multiple rounds of surgery, chemotherapy and radiation he had endured.

'We decided to just stop the treatment so that Khalil could have the best quality of life that's possible, being a 10-year-old child, to get to enjoy his life,' she said.

As her son was seated in front of an American flag, Captain Brandon Crawford spoke to the boy.

'It's come to my attention that one of your lifelong ambitions is to become a soldier, so I brought some of my troops here to make you an honorary member of the United States Army. What do you think of that?' he asked.

A speechless Khalil could only nod in approval.

Asked by the press what he thought the most important role of a soldier was, the brave little boy smiled and answered: 'Protecting people.'

Among the day's highlights for Khalil was a ride in a military Humvee and being presented with a trophy plaque while The Star Spangled Banner was sung in his honor.

The Army also collected donations for Christmas gifts for his family because they couldn't afford to buy presents for the holiday.

As Khalil posed for pictures with his new army brothers and sisters, Capt Crawford remarked: 'This guy is tough. He's like what a real soldier is about. That's why we're happy to induct him into the Army.'

Ms Mason agreed: 'He is a fighter. He's been fighting since day one.'

Full Story:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2251684/Dreams-come-true-boy-terminal-cancer-10-sworn-U-S-Army.html

Destrier
12-22-2012, 07:10
Thank you for posting, very nice.

medic&commo
12-22-2012, 08:49
Thank you.
Glad to see a heartwarming story, especially just before Christmas.
A salute to the CPT Crawford & his troops for answering a dream.
m&c

echoes
12-23-2012, 10:05
Sirs, thank You both!

Was curious how the SF community would view this event, and am glad it was met with a warm response.:) Brave little guy, who unfortunately, will not be with us much longer.

Holly

Badger52
12-23-2012, 12:10
Sirs, thank You both!

Was curious how the SF community would view this event, and am glad it was met with a warm response.:) Brave little guy, who unfortunately, will not be with us much longer.

HollyNice story echoes, thanks for posting.
I'd have never anticipated a reaction from the QP's other than what's here. How many little boys have lesser aspirations, yet he would be admittedly "protecting people" and the little guy's been "a fighter since day one"? There's a long list of whiners in the world that should be humbled by this story, but they don't deserve mention nor do they last long here.

Merry Christmas!
:)

Ghost_Team
12-23-2012, 16:48
I love these stories. I always donate to Make-A-Wish. I see it as i may have made a mess of my life, but at least i had the chance to make a mess of it. I can't imagine what these kids and their families go thru, and to be honest those kids are my heroes. They stare death in the face daily, and they thumb their nose at him and make the best of what they have. God bless them all.

BOfH
12-24-2012, 11:42
Made my day. Thanks echoes! :lifter