PDA

View Full Version : Pheasants

Penn
12-17-2012, 16:35
It must be a rarity to nail two cocks birds at the same time, I guess they must have been quarreling over territory; fore they flew straight out of the brush, screaming right at me, I almost ducked, but then I realized I was protect by my windshield, which I think they hit head on. They were dazed and confused when I pick them up by their legs.

Dinner pic's tomorrow in GG....I'm thinking Burgundian, or a Pinot from Oregon, and I'm open to suggestions.

mark46th
12-17-2012, 17:49
Roasted with a stuffing of wild rice and cremini mushrooms sauteed in butter and brandy......

Burns76
12-17-2012, 18:43
Awesome. That has to be a first. Two by windshield. :D

Dozer523
12-17-2012, 18:44
Two tasty birds fly into the windshield of a car driven by a Chef.
Who says God doesn't know the number of hairs on each of our heads?

craigepo
12-17-2012, 21:33
We just ate some out in South Dakota. Marinated, lightly breaded, and pan fried. Not real healthy, but they were wow-good.

Penn
12-17-2012, 22:07
I've only feathered out one bird before. We boiled the water and place the bird in the water for about one minute, removed and then we plucked the feathers. If there are other methods, please post the info. What I don't want to do is skin them, I want to roast them whole with their skin

casey
12-18-2012, 07:13
PENN, I've used this when I was younger, it takes about 30 seconds.

Place the bird on the ground with its wings spread out. Stand on top of the bird and place your feet - tight against its rib cage (one on either side of course) and directly on its wings. Grab the birds feet and with a smooth, stong motion pull the feet up towards your chest.

You'll wind up with mostly chest meat and feet if done correctly - haven't done it in quite a while as all the pheasants from Philly have migrated out your way......

Penn
12-18-2012, 17:05
When cleaning pheasants its best to dry pluck against the grain. If you don't want to rip the skin, pull small groups of feathers slowly, but firmly out, opposite their growth pattern. If you wet the feathers before plucking, they will be harder to remove, but they will be less of a mess.

mark46th
12-19-2012, 00:08
Another way to prepare them is to rub them with curing sugar then smoke. Tastes like ham... Very good with Dos Equis.