PDA

View Full Version : LEOs stunned when woman drops off $40,000 WWII German rifle...

PSM
12-11-2012, 12:26
to be destroyed in police buy-back scheme.

A World War II assault rifle that belonged to an SS officer was handed in to a gun buy-back organised by police in Connecticut.

The rare find, which is worth up to $40,000, would have been sent home by an American soldier who had taken it from a prisoner of war or a German he had killed.

Officer Lewis Crabtree, of the Hartford Police Dept, said: 'The chance to see a piece of history - this - is absolutely unbelievable.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2245749/Officers-stunned-woman-drops-40-000-WWII-German-rifle-destroyed-police-buy-program.html#ixzz2EljRe75q

TV producer pitches idea for new reality show: Antiques Roadblock.

Pat

Streck-Fu
12-11-2012, 13:22
Last I heard is that they did not keep it and returned it to her with permission to sell/transfer.

LINK (http://www.necn.com/12/08/12/WW2-weapon-turned-in-during-gun-buy-back/landing.html?blockID=811359&feedID=11106)

"This is a gun that should actually be in a museum rather than in a shredder,” Crabtree said.

And that's why they will allow the owner to sell the gun.

mojaveman
12-11-2012, 13:40
Makes one wonder how many STG-44s were brought back after the war and also how many are still sitting in someone's basement or attic.

Can I have just one? :p

PSM
12-11-2012, 13:45
Is she going to be in trouble with BATFE now?

Pat

Streck-Fu
12-11-2012, 13:56
They will just make her sell it to Mexico....

swpa19
12-11-2012, 14:08
It WILL prove to be a headache for the poor woman. It is still a Class 3 Firearm. The BATF can offer a waiver, but this is usually done to donate to an approved Museum. The only saving grace for her would be: If it had "amnesty" papers given to the soldier that brought it back (Bring back papers) or was legally registered under GCA68. My FFL doesnt cover Class 3 regs. so, I may be a little off center on just how she stands.

Makes one wonder how many STG-44s were brought back after the war and also how many are still sitting in someone's basement or attic

They are not all still sitting in someone's basement or attic.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?279556-5-000-Stug-44-Found-in-Syrian-Ammo-Depot&highlight=STG44

Scroll all the way down. How many can you identify.

koz
12-11-2012, 17:28
My understanding is it was registered in the amnesty / bring-back program.

She just needs to Form 3 it to my dealer... :lifter

mark46th
12-11-2012, 17:55
Wonder if she would do a straight up trade for the pink .22 Cricket I bought my grand-daughter?

The Reaper
12-11-2012, 20:18
Last I heard is that they did not keep it and returned it to her with permission to sell/transfer.

LINK (http://www.necn.com/12/08/12/WW2-weapon-turned-in-during-gun-buy-back/landing.html?blockID=811359&feedID=11106)

Highly doubtful, if it is not on the NFA registry.

If there is no registration, there is no amnesty, and the gun was, and remains, a full-auto weapon per ATF rules.

The best she can hope for, if it is unregistered, is the ability to donate it to a museum, almost certainly without compensation, as a sale would be illegal, and it cannot be legally transferred to an individual unless it is in the registry.

If the ATF wants to open the gates for a general amnesty based on this incident, they better be prepared.

TR

swpa19
12-12-2012, 06:11
Another option for the woman, and one that would be less painful and still yield a nice return would be to render the receiver inoperable, then sell the remaining pieces or as a parts gun. This should produce a return in the five figure range.

koz
12-12-2012, 09:42
From Weapons Man

http://weaponsman.com/?p=6042

"Fortunately, an informed, honest cop saved the weapon from destruction, and its owner will be allowed to sell it out of state, rather than sacrifice a $25-30k weapon to the smelter.

The reportedly NFA-registered gun was a WWII bringback by an deceased family member."

echoes
12-12-2012, 10:43
Highly doubtful, if it is not on the NFA registry.

If there is no registration, there is no amnesty, and the gun was, and remains, a full-auto weapon per ATF rules.

The best she can hope for, if it is unregistered, is the ability to donate it to a museum, almost certainly without compensation, as a sale would be illegal, and it cannot be legally transferred to an individual unless it is in the registry.

If the ATF wants to open the gates for a general amnesty based on this incident, they better be prepared.

TR

TR Sir,

Can you please expand on your train of thought regarding this? (For reasons prior mentioned regarding WWII Guns...):munchin:)

Thank you,

Holly

Badger52
12-12-2012, 19:45

TRAs in, pre-US v. Miller, for anything mil-pattern, in fact the only thing that's out is a really bad hack job on a moonshiner's shotgun?
Pretty please!
:D

Peregrino
12-12-2012, 19:51
From Weapons Man

http://weaponsman.com/?p=6042

"Fortunately, an informed, honest cop saved the weapon from destruction, and its owner will be allowed to sell it out of state, rather than sacrifice a $25-30k weapon to the smelter.

The reportedly NFA-registered gun was a WWII bringback by an deceased family member."

Wonder how long it'll be before the cop finds an official reprimand in his personnel file? :munchin

The Reaper
12-12-2012, 19:52
TR Sir,

Can you please expand on your train of thought regarding this? (For reasons prior mentioned regarding WWII Guns...):munchin:)

Thank you,

Holly

If you have a fully automatic weapon and BATF paperwork, don't turn it in to the police at a gun buyback, especially if you need the money.

If you have an automatic weapon and no paperwork, you should be aware that the penalty for possessing it is a $250,000 fine and 10 years in prison.

If you have pretty much any gun, do not turn it in at a police gun buyback. You will almost certainly not get the money for it that you would from selling it yourself.

TR