PDA

View Full Version : Migrane headaches

brewmonkey
10-23-2004, 07:06
I had a migraine yesterday that was bad enough to send me to the ER after my meds did not even touch it. They hooked me up with an IV and then 2 meds on of which was benadryl but I did not catch the other 2 meds. I believe one of them started with Fen somthing or other, but it wasn't fentanyl. The nurse said they were what they give people with migranes if that helps.

Normally I would no go to the ER for something like this but I was a good 8 on the scale and narcotics were not even touching it (I have them for the Spondy & Arachnoiditis).

Any guesses as what they gave me?

ccrn
10-23-2004, 09:36
...was it benadryl, or vistaril?

brewmonkey
10-23-2004, 12:41
...was it benadryl, or vistaril?

Benadryl was one of them but I was to drowsy after that to hear what the others were. The good thing was once they gave me all of them I was out like a light.

ccrn
10-23-2004, 15:45
hmm...

I guess you got me. It should say on your D/C record what they gave you.

In the past we always gave ppl demoral and vistaril for migraines. Then the drug seekers got hip to that so for the most part we've stopped, not to mention hospitals have been steering away from demerol. Its still an excellent drug especially for post anesthesia shivers.

Now when a seeker hits the ER we offer them Toradol and they usually tell us to go get ****ed-

Air.177
10-23-2004, 15:52
hmm...

I guess you got me. It should say on your D/C record what they gave you.

In the past we always gave ppl demoral and vistaril for migraines. Then the drug seekers got hip to that so for the most part we've stopped, not to mention hospitals have been steering away from demerol. Its still an excellent drug especially for post anesthesia shivers.

Now when a seeker hits the ER we offer them Toradol and they usually tell us to go get ****ed-

What's wrong with Toradol?

I got a scrip for that stuff when I hit the ER for a Kidney stone last month. No complaints here, it worked like a champ. Knocked me RTFO, but it worked like a champ.

Pandora
10-23-2004, 17:22
You have my understanding sympathies. Been there, done that. Used to be a regular in the ER with migraines (fully symptomatic with puking, hyper-sensitivity to light & noise, "Please, just make this pain STOP!" and a desire to rip my eye-balls -out.)

Could it have been a sodium solution via the IV? The last time I wound up in the ER with a migraine, they altered the treatment from the normal Demerol/Gravol and pumped me full of a sodium solution of some sort? Sorry, I don't recall the name of the drug, but it was a very welcome change because it relieved the migraine symptoms without drugging me out of coherance. I am a bit vague on some of the details (in that kind of pain, you tend not to take a lot of yakkity-yak in), but I recall the nurse saying something to me about the sodium altering the blood pressure &/or the pressure in the blood vessels? "The preferred solution to attempt first before narcotics..." Wish I could recall more, but it certainly worked.

Maybe one of the medical gurus here can flesh that out and enhance the details?

10-23-2004, 17:53
do they give phenagrin (sp) IV? That's what my mom and sister take for migraines.

brewmonkey
10-23-2004, 17:54
My wife said the toradol sounded familiar but I do not remember. My discharge papers tell me to F/U with my PCP within 72 hours and to return to the ER if symptoms return.

ccrn
10-23-2004, 18:36
There has been an alert for phenergan regarding peripheral IV route. A couple of years ago a woman was awarded a large amount due to loosing her arm which was attributed to peripheral IV use of phenergan.

Personaly I wont administer it IV anymore unless diluted in at least 50cc with the exception of central line.

This doenst pertain to IM admin-

18C/GS 0602
10-24-2004, 08:24
What's wrong with Toradol?

I got a scrip for that stuff when I hit the ER for a Kidney stone last month. No complaints here, it worked like a champ. Knocked me RTFO, but it worked like a champ.

It dosen't work if you are drug seeking-it won't get you high. Works great on most of the people I give it to, especially for musculoskelatal pain.

10-24-2004, 14:37
There has been an alert for phenergan regarding peripheral IV route. A couple of years ago a woman was awarded a large amount due to loosing her arm which was attributed to peripheral IV use of phenergan.

Personaly I wont administer it IV anymore unless diluted in at least 50cc with the exception of central line.

This doenst pertain to IM admin-

Ah, thank you kindly. I knew I'd heard something, but we don't use it in EMS, so I didn't pay too much attention. To busy keeping track of what we do use. ;)

The Reaper
10-24-2004, 14:56
It dosen't work if you are drug seeking-it won't get you high. Works great on most of the people I give it to, especially for musculoskelatal pain.

THAT, is the most painful shot I have ever had!

I told the Doc, if my choice is Toradol or MS pain, I'll take the MS pain.

TR

Ambush Master
10-24-2004, 15:05

WTF does the opening comment of yours have to do with this thread or Air's post, better yet, what are you insinuating ??? I do expect a very explicit and complete answer/explanation (if POSSIBLE !!) !!! I do not appreciate your apparent ATTITUDE or assumptions!!! :mad:

I will be awaiting your response bdonham !!!

Martin

18C/GS 0602
10-24-2004, 17:37
WTF does the opening comment of yours have to do with this thread or Air's post, better yet, what are you insinuating ??? I do expect a very explicit and complete answer/explanation (if POSSIBLE !!) !!! I do not appreciate your apparent ATTITUDE or assumptions!!! :mad:

I will be awaiting your response bdonham !!!

Martin

In ccrn original post he talked about how in his ER they have stopped giving Demerol to the drug seekers that come in and that instead they offer them toradol. Air’s reply was to ask what was wrong with toradol because it worked for him. Demerol in addition to being a strong narcotic is known for essentially getting people high. Toradol is great at relieving pain however it is not a narcotic and it won’t get people high. When drug seekers come into the ER their goal is to get narcotics and get high and not to have their pain relieved. That is why drug seekers get pissed when you give them toradol and not a narcotic for their “pain.” In my reply to Air’s post I was trying to explain why certain people don’t like getting prescribed toradol. I waste a large amount of time at work is dealing with people that come in who’s only goal is to get prescribed narcotics because they want to get high and they need to feed their addiction, and this makes me bitter about the subject. This is why my post had the attitude you picked up on. I was not trying to insinuate anything about Air or anyone else and I was not trying to insinuate that just because toradol doesn’t work for someone’s pain that they are a drug seeker.

NousDefionsDoc
10-25-2004, 18:45
"You" was a poor choice of words here bdonham. I understand what you were trying to say - after I read it a couple of times.

brewmonkey
10-25-2004, 20:40
Got in to see my PCP today. He is a great doc as well as a former Army doctor and he put me on Relpax. Looks like it is not contraindicted to any of the other pain management meds either. That has been a problem in the past and had caused some shuffling around.

I woke this morning with the start of another migraine and within 30-45 minutes of taking the relpax I was golden. Hopefully this is something I won't have to take to often because it made me dog ass tired.

Achilles
10-26-2004, 11:09
I used to get Tonopan accross the border in Reynosa for my migraine headaches. I've only got a couple in the last 2 years so they aren't really a problem anymore. That medicine is awesome though. Takes about 30 minutes to kick in then the pain is gone.

18C/GS 0602
10-26-2004, 15:07
"You" was a poor choice of words here bdonham. I understand what you were trying to say - after I read it a couple of times.

That was probably not the best choice of words; when I posted that I has been up for about 30 hours so the English skills weren’t quite up to par. Air if I offended you at all I apologize.

ccrn
10-27-2004, 09:23
I am curious to know if you experience an aura before complete onset of your headaches (ie light or glow around objects)-

DoctorDoom
10-28-2004, 01:12
x

brewmonkey
10-28-2004, 06:53
I am curious to know if you experience an aura before complete onset of your headaches (ie light or glow around objects)-

No, not that I have noticed. I also do not seem to be photo sensitive.

brewmonkey
10-28-2004, 06:54
Do they give Imitrex anymore? or is it all Relpax?

Hope you are doing better brewmonkey.

They do still prscribe Imitrex and Midrin and I have used them in the past through my PCP but the relpax seems to work the best so far, or at least it works the fastest and provides the best relief.

jatx
11-03-2004, 08:41
Could they have given you a combination of DHE and phenergan? The DHE is great at preventing rebounds and the phenergan is for your nausea. It is not a narcotic.

http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshelf/drugs_view/1,1524,198,00.html