PDA

View Full Version : Starbucks - McDonalds - WalMart

Richard
12-07-2012, 14:27
Just how BIG is big business in fast food and retail? Some interesting facts from Business Insider.

Richard :munchin

15 Facts About Starbucks ($10.7B)

Starbucks has added an average of two stores on a daily basis since 1987
Santa Fe Springs, Calif. has the highest concentration with 560 Starbucks stores within 25 miles
Starbucks had 137,000 employees or "partners" as they call them in 2010. This is twice the population of Greenland.
It opened its first store in Beijing in 1999 and there are now 376 stores in China. They expect to reach 1000 by 2015.
The average Starbucks customer visits the store 6 times per month while a loyal 20% of customers go to the stores 16 times per month
There are over 87,000 possible drink combinations at Starbucks
The original Starbucks in Seattle sold coffee in 8 oz cups. During expansion, they added the 12 oz and the 16 oz then got rid of the 8 oz and added the 24 oz and finally the 30 oz Trenta...
The Trenta is slightly bigger than your stomach with the capacity to hold 916 milliliters. The stomach on average has a capacity of 900 ml.
A Starbucks grande coffee has 320 milligrams of caffeine, over four times the amount of caffeine in a Red Bull.
The Starbucks cinnamon chip scone has more calories than a McDonald's quarter pounder with 480 calories
The zip code that is the farthest from a Starbucks in the U.S. is Adak, Alaska where you would need to travel 1,044 miles for a frappucino.
At $300 million, Starbucks spends more on healthcare insurance for its employees than on coffee beans
Starbucks uses over 93 million gallons of milk per year, enough to fill 155 Olympic-sized swimming pools
Starbucks uses 2.3 billion paper cups per year
The owners almost went with the name Pequod, the name of the boat in Moby Dick, instead of the character Starbucks' name

http://www.businessinsider.com/15-facts-about-starbucks-that-will-blow-your-mind-2011-3?op=1

18 Facts About McDonalds ($27B)

McDonald's' daily customer traffic (62 million) is more than the population of Great Britain
McDonald's sells more than 75 hamburgers every second
McDonald's feeds 68 million people per day, that's about 1 percent of the world's population
McDonald's' $27 billion in revenue makes it the 90th-largest economy in the world
The $8.7 billion in revenue from franchise stores alone, makes McDonald's richer than Mongolia
McDonald's hires around 1 million workers in the US every year
McDonald's has 761,000 employees worldwide, that's more than the population of Luxembourg
According to company estimates, one in every eight American workers has been employed by McDonald's
ron Stone worked at McDonald's before she was famous. So did Shania Twain, Jay Leno, Rachel McAdams and Pink
McDonald's is the world's largest distributor of toys, with one included in 20% of all sales
Back in 1968 McDonald airlifted hamburgers to homesick U.S. Olympic Athletes in France
McDonald's' iconic golden arches are recognized by more people than the cross
The Queen of England owns a retail park in Slough, which has a drive-thru McDonald's
The Egg McMuffin was modeled on eggs Benedict
From 2011 to 2013, McDonald's plans to open one restaurant every day in China
McDonald's delivers – in 18 countries!
The only place in the lower 48 that is more than 100 miles from a McDonald's is a barren plain in South Dakota
Americans alone consume one billion pounds of beef at McDonald's in a year – five and a half million head of cattle

http://www.businessinsider.com/19-facts-about-mcdonalds-that-will-blow-your-mind-2012-4?op=1

18 Facts About WalMart ($444B)

In fiscal year 2012, Wal-Mart registered approximately $444 billion in sales, which is $20 billion more than Austria's GDP. If Walmart were a country, it would be the 26th largest economy in the world.
Walmart has more employees worldwide — 2.2 million — than the population of Houston. The mega-retailer employs 1.4 million people in the U.S. alone.
If Wal-Mart was an army, it would have the second largest military in the world, behind China.
Wal-Mart is bigger than Home Depot, Kroger, Target, Sears, Costco, and K-Mart combined.
The average family of four spends over $4,000 a year at Walmart.
Each week, Walmart serves more than 200 million customers at more than 10,400 stores in 27 countries.
One of every four dollars Americans spend on groceries is spent at Walmart.
In 2010, CEO Michael Duke's annual salary of $35 million earned him more in an hour than a full-time employee makes in an entire year.
In 2009, Walmart sold more bananas than any other item.
China's exports to Walmart accounted for 11 percent of the growth of the total U.S. trade deficit with China between 2001 and 2006.
If Walmart's more than 900 million square feet of retail space were spread out over one place it would take up roughly 34 miles, which is about 1.5 times the size of Manhattan.
Walmart parking lots alone take up roughly the size of Tampa, Florida.
In 2000, Walmart was sued 4,851 times, or about once every 2 hours.
90 percent of all Americans live within 15 miles of a Walmart.
The Walton family has given away about 2 percent of its net worth to charity — Bill Gates is giving away 48 percent of his net worth and Warren Buffet 78 percent of his net worth.
An additional Walmart Supercenter per 100,000 residents increases average BMI by 0.25 units and the obesity rate by 2.4 percent.
The most frequent destination typed into GPS device Telenav is Walmart.
Roughly 4,700 (about 90 percent) of international stores operate under a banner other than Walmart, including Walmex in Mexico, Asda in the UK, Seiyu in Japan, and Best Price in India.

http://www.businessinsider.com/crazy-facts-about-walmart-2012-11

Ret10Echo
12-08-2012, 15:55
I find it hard to believe there is any place that has more $tarbucks than D.C. There are some areas where you can see two or three stores at once.

Ok, so the caffeine content explains a lot... :eek:

longrange1947
12-08-2012, 22:40
Well you can see why the unions are trying so hard to unionize WalMart.

That is a bunch of new union members and BIG bucks to the crooked unions. :rolleyes:

Pete
12-09-2012, 07:54
I can't believe that evil bastard at Wal-Mart makes $35 million a year while the hourly workers don't get squat. They should take his pay away and divide it between the workers.

What's that? It only works out to less than $16 per year for each worker? Not much to add to a weekly paycheck.

longrange1947
12-09-2012, 08:52
My question is; when are they going to start talking about evil ball players that don't do squat for their high pay? It does raise the cost of the tickets to get in and see them do squat though. :munchin

Five-O
12-09-2012, 08:58
Three examples of highly successful business models. Thanks for posting!!

orion5
12-09-2012, 13:23
I can't believe that evil bastard at Wal-Mart makes $35 million a year while the hourly workers don't get squat. They should take his pay away and divide it between the workers.

What's that? It only works out to less than $16 per year for each worker? Not much to add to a weekly paycheck.

At a large tech company I used to work for, several disgruntled ladies in HR decided to file a class action lawsuit against the company. They claimed there was a systemic policy of not promoting qualified women. I never experienced any of that personally, but it might have been so. Don't know.

Anyway, I never joined the class action suit but about a year later I received in the mail a check for $12. I was like, what the eff is this? Found out they settled out of court and instead of giving those HR ladies the millions, someone made the call to split the millions with every female who had ever worked for the company, past and present, thousands and thousands of us.

Yeah, as a woman I feel we really stuck it to The Man! :rolleyes:

The Reaper
12-09-2012, 14:24
At a large tech company I used to work for, several disgruntled ladies in HR decided to file a class action lawsuit against the company. They claimed there was a systemic policy of not promoting qualified women. I never experienced any of that personally, but it might have been so. Don't know.

Anyway, I never joined the class action suit but about a year later I received in the mail a check for $12. I was like, what the eff is this? Found out they settled out of court and instead of giving those HR ladies the millions, someone made the call to split the millions with every female who had ever worked for the company, past and present, thousands and thousands of us.

Yeah, as a woman I feel we really stuck it to The Man! :rolleyes:

You can bet that the lawyers representing the female employees made slightly more than $12 each.

Maybe some of them were women.

TR

Badger52
12-09-2012, 16:18
I find it hard to believe there is any place that has more $tarbucks than D.C. There are some areas where you can see two or three stores at once.

Ok, so the caffeine content explains a lot... :eek:That explains Congressional distractions.

GratefulCitizen
12-09-2012, 16:40
That explains Congressional distractions.

Caffeine is a powerful diuretic.

MR2
12-09-2012, 18:41
Caffeine is a powerful diuretic.

Is that why Congress is pissing our money away?

Dozer523
12-09-2012, 18:56
My question is; when are they going to start talking about evil ball players that don't do squat for their high pay? It does raise the cost of the tickets to get in and see them do squat though. :munchinDon't start with me. Its trading season and Skippy Schumaker is a free agent.

Besides . . .

Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer. ~Ted Williams

medic&commo
12-10-2012, 08:26
Well you can see why the unions are trying so hard to unionize WalMart.

That is a bunch of new union members and BIG bucks to the crooked unions. :rolleyes:

They unions aren't stopping with WalMart:

Fast Food Strikes in NYC.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/29/fast-food-strikes-nyc_n_2213548.html
m&c