PDA

View Full Version : Wet weather gear

craigepo
12-05-2012, 21:21
I'm needing replacements for both wet-weather jacket and pants (my old issue stuff is done). Requirements are as follows:

1. Tactical/Camo pattern

2. Must be quiet when worn as an outer

3. Would really like it to be able to take a "driving" rain (think 60 mph rain, or flying down a lake in a sparkly bass boat)

4. Would be handy for it to be somewhat small, although it doesn't have to be packable.

5. Needs to tough enough to take some abuse, and also fit snug enough to shoot in.

Thanks for any help

The Reaper
12-05-2012, 21:37
I'm needing replacements for both wet-weather jacket and pants (my old issue stuff is done). Requirements are as follows:

1. Tactical/Camo pattern

2. Must be quiet when worn as an outer

3. Would really like it to be able to take a "driving" rain (think 60 mph rain, or flying down a lake in a sparkly bass boat)

4. Would be handy for it to be somewhat small, although it doesn't have to be packable.

5. Needs to tough enough to take some abuse, and also fit snug enough to shoot in.

Thanks for any help

The issue Gore-Tex in BDU pattern would cover some, but not all of those, and in a lightly used one, be economical, too.

If you really want it snug and packable, the old issued lightweight Gore-Tex jacket was sweet, but at 60mph and raining, almost everything is going to leak at the seams and cuffs.

I have not found a single jacket that does everything you are looking for, and I probably have a dozen outdoor jackets in my coat closet, from some of the best outdoor gear companies out there.

You optimize for one or two of those factors at the expense of the rest.

Just my .02, YMMV.

TR

Longstreet
12-05-2012, 21:59
Jayson here and while I have no experience with CP Gear's 'Stealth Suit' it is highly regarded in the Canadian Forces and may be something you are looking for. You can check it out here:

www.cpgear.com/store/clth/stealth_suit.htm

jaYson

Flagg
12-06-2012, 00:21
There's lots of surplus German Flektarn wet weather sets selling on the net for cheap.

I've used the jacket for hunting and it packs light and tight and is built to a good standard, seems to handle rough treatment, and makes for a quiet outer layer shell

It seems to cover your criteria and might be worth short listing.

Just my personal anecdotal experience, others may differ.

Badger52
12-06-2012, 07:30
Combine those with a proper poncho when in the "driving rain" conditions, and I think you're covered for the requirements mentioned.A "driving rain" because the bass boat is on plane at 60+ mph (either escaping inbound wx or trying to get to a weigh-in on time with 20+ lbs in the live-well) may not be the best poncho situation. The PFD with kill-switch lanyard has to go over that as well when preparing to create "driving" rain. (If the idea is to slap the hell out of your partner for a bad net job while runnin' then it might be ok.)
:D

As TR describes, more than 1 solution may be called for. One for most, regular to very active movement, etc., and something that does the job (albeit infrequently) in the boat. FWIW, I keep a full set of Frog Toggs in a small stuff sack when in a boat and nothing has gotten through them when worn properly. They also go on quickly and seem to have double-seams & closures in all the right places. IMO they're also lighter & more comfortable than the MIL goretex (still excellent stuff) in the summer.

koz
12-06-2012, 08:55
For the best wet weather protection (but sucks for ventilation) Helly Hansen Impertech. Not necessarily tactical but they do have camo. (I use the OD green). It's not noisy at all. It's tough enough that I've worn it in AK moose & bear hunting. It will keep you dry in the driving rain in AK when it's not going to stop for 3-4 days.

For heavy rain but not necessarily constant rain where Gore-tex will eventually soak, the Arc'terxy Apha jacket is a really good performer. I'm lucky to have not had to pay for my multicam jacket (it's the LEAF series) as they're around $800 and I have a black non-berry compliant Alpha jacket. They're around $450 and just as good as the LEAF but not camo.

booker
12-06-2012, 12:19
I've heard good things about River's West, but have no personal use experience. It doesn't make all the requirements you posted, but as TR said, I don't think one jacket will.

http://www.riverswest.com/ambush_jacket.html

Old Dog New Trick
12-06-2012, 12:31
While not meeting your color choice.

Have you looked at motorcycle over garments?

craigepo
12-06-2012, 17:23
I've heard good things about River's West, but have no personal use experience. It doesn't make all the requirements you posted, but as TR said, I don't think one jacket will.

http://www.riverswest.com/ambush_jacket.html

I looked at the rivers west stuff, and it looks interesting. A friend has one of their waterproof-fleece upland hunting jackets, and loves it. Kind of pricey, but their videos look really good.

Hadn't looked at the motorcycle stuff, as I will be spending time in the woods with this stuff. I have a long raincoat and oilskin fedora for work, this set will be used pretty harshly.

Peregrino
12-06-2012, 21:40
I keep a set of Mossy Oak Frog Toggs in the truck for contingencies. Deliberate outings still get the ECWCS BDU pattern parka and pants treatment.

Personally, I want to see the poncho at 60mph in a bass boat. Think of the potential it has as an eject/self extraction system if you let it catch air like a drogue chute! :p

MR2
12-07-2012, 06:31
I just want to see a b(ad)ass boat going 60 MPH!

Destrier
12-07-2012, 06:54
Not camo, but I like my filson tin cloth gear. Nearly indestructible.

Badger52
12-07-2012, 08:39
Personally, I want to see the poncho at 60mph in a bass boat. Think of the potential it has as an eject/self extraction system if you let it catch air like a drogue chute! :pOK, saved the coffee but where's that pounding-the-floor ROFLMAO smilie? :D

Golf1echo
12-12-2012, 07:10
I find the underlayers are just as important to wet weather comfort, that some good ventilation and materials that handle wet well. I prefer water proof if out for extended periods. There are some nice breathables that are comfortable in some moisture, I have a Patagonia, Rain Shadow Jacket, nothing fancy but is light and has held up for years, easy to carry so you have it when needed. IIRC it was a component of the MARS System...
Stay dry :lifter

mikem04rubi
02-11-2013, 19:52

Me too...

Was at the range yesterday about 14 degrees and my buddy had a very thin digital Camo coat on, ...100% waterproof..... SITKA. $ 550.00
He has too much money

Kryptek62
03-28-2013, 14:03
Look into Kryptek outdoor. Veteran owned and operated. Great material and product. Comes in a variety of patterns. It's been tested in the deepest of wilderness in Alaska. Check it out

The Reaper
03-28-2013, 17:38
Look into Kryptek outdoor. Veteran owned and operated. Great material and product. Comes in a variety of patterns. It's been tested in the deepest of wilderness in Alaska. Check it out

You might want to re-read the rules again.

TR

Kryptek62
03-29-2013, 12:53
Understood.... deficiency identified..

6. Advertisements must first be approved by Professional Soldiers' ® Staff before posting. URLs in the signature line are not permitted. A link in a post is permitted as long as the link is relevant to the thread.

Javadrinker
03-31-2013, 08:49

not a bass boat, but a a fast fishing boat..

http://youtu.be/h8zdqxHnSmo

MR2
03-31-2013, 11:24
not a bass boat, but a a fast fishing boat..

http://youtu.be/h8zdqxHnSmo

I think that would work when trolling for Walleyes... :lifter

Javadrinker
03-31-2013, 13:55
I do believe that you are correct;) definately get to to the spot pretty damn quick:lifter

WolfPack-5
04-03-2013, 09:08
I am a true believer in... "You learn something new everyday." I checked out that Canadian wet weather gear. I am impressed. The Canook's finally came up with a good piece of gear. Thanks gents. Very helpful information and I wasn't even looking for it or thinking about it.

therunningwolf
02-12-2014, 14:55
Hate to resurrect something but this post relates to some info I am looking for.

Tax returns are coming in soon and I'm caught up on everything so I've decided to splurge on something I otherwise wouldn't be able to get. I'm looking to get a set of Arcteryx rain gear, trying to decide between the Alpha and Gryphon, I'll be using them for hunting, rucking, training on the range and any issue's where I might be forced to leave the house in a hurry, thus I'm looking for something fairly pack-able and breathable, I am also in Hurricane country. I train with both a chest rig and plate carrier.

Does anyone have any experience with these products?

pjbluetogreen
03-01-2014, 12:20
I have had the alpha gear for several years AFSOC used to issue it. It is great light weight and breathable. Most important it is durable and WORKS as advertised. Only problem is it is very expensive ($700+ for top). but i think that you get your monies worth. Look into the LEAF program