PDA

View Full Version : HQ USAREUR - Heidelberg => Wiesbaden

Richard
12-02-2012, 12:01
Wiesbaden Ready For Influx Of Troops, USAREUR Headquarters Move
SS-EuroEd, 29 Nov 2012

$500 million in upgrades to Wiesbaden military facilities, as well as standard housing and community support projects for move to be completed summer 2013.

$119 million General John Shalikashvili four-level, 285,000-square-foot Mission Command Center.

http://www.stripes.com/news/wiesbaden-ready-for-influx-of-troops-usareur-headquarters-move-1.198786

And so it goes...

Richard :munchin

Pete
12-02-2012, 12:56
And when they get done cutting troops in Europe we'll be down to two Brigades - one in Germany & one in Italy.

I think 7th Army HQ should downsize right along with them.

Well, Combat Brigades anyway. They got a shit pot load of support Brigades all over the map of Europe..

mojaveman
12-02-2012, 13:14
And when they get done cutting troops in Europe we'll be down to two Brigades - one in Germany & one in...

Kind of hard to believe for anyone who can remember being part of USAREUR back in the day. When I arrived 32 years ago there were something like 250,000 Army personnel stationed there. And their leaving Heidelberg? What a shame because it's really a beautiful old city and didn't get damaged much during WWII. At least Wiesbaden's just down the road from Frankfurt.

Richard
12-02-2012, 13:21
They got a shit pot load of support Brigades all over the map of Europe.

"Tooth to Tail" ratio and the idea of forward basing CSS for supporting rapidly deploying cbt forces.

Surf n Turf
12-12-2012, 20:11
Kind of hard to believe for anyone who can remember being part of USAEUR back in the day. When I arrived 32 years ago there were something like 250,000 Army personnel stationed there. And their leaving Heidelberg? What a shame because it's really a beautiful old city and didn't get damaged much during WWII. At least Wiesbaden's just down the road from Frankfurt.

Shame to see the move ---- Loved the area.
Worked in Heidelberg, Schwetzingen and Karslruhe off and on during the early, mid-60”s.. Had a house in Malchenberg, south of Heidelberg for a long while.
Saw the “Green Barets” at Coleman barracks when it debuted in 1968. :D
SnT

Red Flag 1
12-12-2012, 20:19
I was stationed in Germany for my three years in the early '80's. I have revisited Germany on several trips, and find our holdings to have dropped considerably. At one point we had several Rec areas in Bavaria, and now we are down to less than a handful. Is this the same case for France and The UK? Is their pull out similar to ours?

RF 1

Dozer523
12-13-2012, 03:52
"Tooth to Tail" ratio and the idea of forward basing CSS for supporting rapidly deploying cbt forces.

CSS don't do as much "maneuver damage" while they're waiting around, either.
As a dependent I lived in Fuerth-Dambach (Nuremberg) and Heidelberg. On AD was in Aschaffenberg.
All were great places to live.