PDA

View Full Version : Baby on the Way?


tzdunic
12-01-2012, 19:05
I have searched the site and have not found what I am looking for. If I have indeed looked over a thread that has the answer, I sincerely appoligize.

I will soon be swearing into the army. After looking through this site and seeing the brotherhood lifestyle I have wanted all my life, I am 99% sure that I will be choosing 18XRAY upon swearing in. The other 1% will be provided along with answers on this question.

I am married and currently expecting a baby in March 2013. This will obviously be after I am already sworn in. My wife supports my wish to enlist as an 18X.

My question is, will I be able to come home from training to welcome my baby boy into this world if I am in SFAS? The Special Forces is exaclty where I want to be, but I do not want to lose the privilage with my son.

Can anybody give me info on this subject?
Has anybody been in my position?

Again, if I have looked over an existing post of this nature, I appoligize.

Thanks,

Terrence Z.

Last hard class
12-01-2012, 22:33
I am married and currently expecting a baby in March 2013.

We usually do not let pregnant women go through the course.:D

That being said, my advice is: Be 100% sure you want it before going. If you are only 99% sure, you have a 99% chance of failing.

Personally, I am tired of hearing people say " I could have made it but was not mentally prepared". Because somehow they didn't know that was a requirement.


Good luck

LHC

charlietwo
12-01-2012, 23:51
First-- If you haven't sworn in yet, unless things have changed up at MEPS, you do not have a ship date. If you don't have a ship date, there is a strong potential (based on training seats available for BCT a few years ago) that you won't get a ship date for at least a few months.

I'm not sure what your recruiter is telling you, but I would guess he would prefer that you enlist PRIOR to having the baby to avoid the extra paperwork. If you haven't asked the likely ship date, your recruiter *should* be able to give you a rough estimate. But looking at the current date, and considering a March 2013 projected arrival, I would guess you would be in BCT when your child is born. Or maybe Airborne (unless the pipeline has changed).

The odds of you being at Selection in 4 months without having sworn in, is by all estimations, impossible. Being elsewhere in the pipeline may be easier to see your child born, though I have no experience in the matter. Just pray that your wife/girlfriend is competent and independent, otherwise you are going to have a very heavy weight on your back, in addition to a heavy rucksack on your back.

Think this through before you swear in.

tzdunic
12-02-2012, 09:44
We usually do not let pregnant women go through the course.:D

LHC

I like that. But to be honest with you, if others are like my wife, I wouldn't want to be the enemy in front of them.:D

Charlie, Thank you for your thoughts. I hope that it does turn out that way. And she is probably the most independent women I have ever met. One of multiple things that attracted me to her.

Thanks guys.

Terrence Z.

tzdunic
12-02-2012, 10:22
One more thing just to clarify.

LHC,

I am mentally prepared for the challenge of becoming a part of Special Forces. And I will apply myself 110% through it all. The 99% is for me to decide whether to apply before or after the baby is born. I plan to go no matter what. Timing is everything.

Terrence Z.

hotshot
12-02-2012, 10:53
As a current Cadre at SWCS. We avoid sending soldiers into training that are expecting child births. In other words, you need to let you cadre know at the time (Prior to SFAS) assuming you make it that far, most don't. You will probably be held in an "awaiting training" status until after your child is born. Then you will be allowed to continue training.

During training in the SFQC, unlike boyscout camp, there is no time for interruptions. In most cases if you miss more than 8 hours of training, you will be recycled, minimum. Students that make habits of having "I gotta's" during training usually get sent back to conventional Army to take care of their personal issues.

Lastly, it will be highly beneficial to you and your future career to show up 100% ready to handle up to 2 years of training. That means leaving momma to fend for the house and kids while you are away. You say you are ready to give 110%, but ask if you can leave SFAS to watch the birth of your child. See where I'm going?

Mis dos centavos,

CH

tzdunic
12-02-2012, 15:14
Thanks for the feedback HotShot and I do see where you are going with it. I am going to give a 110% when I get to SFAS. That is a fact.

As for the question I asked about leaving. That was something I was trying to figure prior to applying myself to this training. That way I could figure out whether to wait until after he is born or not.

When I set my mind on sometihng there is no interruptions, nothing will come between me and something I want to accomplish. Something I need to accomplish.

In other words, you need to let you cadre know at the time (Prior to SFAS) assuming you make it that far, most don't. CH

No disrespect, but I WILL make it this far and further. I know the wash out rate and have been reminded of it more times than I could count. All my life I've had people tell me I can't or won't do something. All my life I have been proving people wrong.

ZonieDiver
12-02-2012, 16:19
No disrespect intended, but I do want to stress that being in the military, and especially in Special Forces - it is much like Roseanne Roseanna Dana said on SNL - "It's always something."

You and your wife must be prepared for you NOT being there during important things. This is when family can become important. Birthdays, illness, graduations, etc. - IT will always be something.

SF_BHT
12-02-2012, 16:35
Thanks for the feedback HotShot and I do see where you are going with it. I am going to give a 110% when I get to SFAS. That is a fact.

As for the question I asked about leaving. That was something I was trying to figure prior to applying myself to this training. That way I could figure out whether to wait until after he is born or not.

When I set my mind on sometihng there is no interruptions, nothing will come between me and something I want to accomplish. Something I need to accomplish.

No disrespect, but I WILL make it this far and further. I know the wash out rate and have been reminded of it more times than I could count. All my life I've had people tell me I can't or won't do something. All my life I have been proving people wrong.

Well, you better work harder than 110%, that will not cut it. You need 200%+ and a little luck not to get hurt to make it thought the course. If you want it apply now and when you do get into the army and the pipeline give it your all. You have been given good advice. Sign up and get to training to prepare. Your wife will have the baby before you ship. No one goes in a few weeks or 2-3 months. Slots are few these days and if you want it get it on paper and prepare.

tzdunic
12-02-2012, 17:28
Yes sir! Thank you sir!

1stindoor
12-03-2012, 10:37
When I set my mind on sometihng there is no interruptions, nothing will come between me and something I want to accomplish.



I will soon be swearing into the army. After looking through this site and seeing the brotherhood lifestyle I have wanted all my life, I am 99% sure that I will be choosing 18XRAY upon swearing in. The other 1% will be provided along with answers on this question.

I am married and currently expecting a baby in March 2013. This will obviously be after I am already sworn in. My wife supports my wish to enlist as an 18X.

My question is, will I be able to come home from training to welcome my baby boy into this world if I am in SFAS? The Special Forces is exaclty where I want to be, but I do not want to lose the privilage with my son.

Don't want to sound like an ass...but when you can 100% sure...AND your priorities are where they need to be...then you'll have a chance of success. As others have already stated...there will be lots of missed birthdays, anniversarys, graduations, holidays, etc.

The Reaper
12-03-2012, 20:01
There is a huge difference between arrogance and confidence.

If you make it to Bragg, we will find out how badly you want it, and how well you have prepared.

Best of luck.

TR

tzdunic
12-04-2012, 11:57
Thank you TR.

I have said enough on this topic. I will take the advice given and remember it along the way.