PDA

View Full Version : VietNam era Valor Awards

pbr549xxx
11-27-2012, 08:38
Could anyone point me in the right direction to find a database of Valor Awards that have been awarded to Viet Nam era Special Forces Soldiers in general and SF Soldiers assigned to MAC-V-SOG specifically?

The reason I ask is I have a former Soldier asking me about a valor award that his chain of command dissaproved. What I'd like to show him is the number of Special Forces Soldiers that fought in Viet Nam and how many of them were awarded ARCOMs w/V, BSMs w/V, etc. I think that showing him some stats in regards to this might show him that just because he feels deserves an award, there are men who slugged out with numerically superior forces on multiple occasions, and were awarded a CIB and BSM for service and they drove on.

MR2
11-27-2012, 08:45
Tell him to apply for some of Obama's free ice cream and be happy about it.

Richard
11-27-2012, 08:49
Tell him to read John Plaster's books on SOG and the story of Bob Howard in particular.

Gutes lesen.

Richard :munchin

MK262MOD1
11-27-2012, 08:52
Could anyone point me in the right direction to find a database of Valor Awards that have been awarded to Viet Nam era Special Forces Soldiers in general and SF Soldiers assigned to MAC-V-SOG specifically?

The reason I ask is I have a former Soldier asking me about a valor award that his chain of command dissaproved. What I'd like to show him is the number of Special Forces Soldiers that fought in Viet Nam and how many of them were awarded ARCOMs w/V, BSMs w/V, etc. I think that showing him some stats in regards to this might show him that just because he feels deserves an award, there are men who slugged out with numerically superior forces on multiple occasions, and were awarded a CIB and BSM for service and they drove on.

This has gone on throughout the GWOT, many SF soldiers have seen this, it went on before as well. It will go on in the future. We don't fight for awards rather something more important.

BKKMAN
11-27-2012, 11:37
Try this publication:

USSF 1961-1971 Vietnam (http://www.history.army.mil/books/Vietnam/90-23/90-23C.htm)

Awards are specifically addressed in Appendix B:

USSF Vietnam Awards (http://www.history.army.mil/books/Vietnam/90-23/90-23ab.htm)

pbr549xxx
11-27-2012, 12:36
Thank you for the replies, both humerous and helpful LOL. I am of the mindset that aknowledgement on a job well done from your peers is the most meaningful reward/award a Soldier can get.

JJ_BPK
11-27-2012, 14:04

The reason I ask is I have a former Soldier asking me about a valor award that his chain of command dissaproved.

There is still a large contingent of VN SF around. If your soldier has names, dates, units, they can be verified. Many of the VN era vets kept or have access to AAR's, jump manifests, and unit rosters.

More than a couple times, old awards have been resurrected and after careful review, awarded.

It is a long shot, VERY LONG SHOT..

Good Luck..

pbr549xxx
11-27-2012, 21:36
There is still a large contingent of VN SF around. If your soldier has names, dates, units, they can be verified. Many of the VN era vets kept or have access to AAR's, jump manifests, and unit rosters.

More than a couple times, old awards have been resurrected and after careful review, awarded.

It is a long shot, VERY LONG SHOT..

Good Luck..

This Soldier was my gunner when I was an AT platoon sergeant in the 82nd. My PL and I recommended an ARCOM w/V, but more than likely it was downgraded or denied by higher. I had already PCSd for Drill SGT duty when the BN conducted its post deployment awards ceremony, so I was not aware of the outcomes of final valor awards that were presented.

Mike
12-05-2012, 03:10
5th S, RVN, is known for having a skewed, lopsided, uneven and disparate
A&D policy and practice of biblical proportions.

Under awarding or shit-canning awards was almost a trademark.

A data base aint going to tell you shit.

There was no continuity to the policy.

This has been discussed elsewhere in depth by folks who worked SFOB and saw it 1st hand.

The did an equally poor job of maintaining and preserving records.

A large trove was stored in a retiree's basement and was destroyed by his heirs.