PDA

View Full Version : Panetta Orders Ethics Training Review for Officers

BMT (RIP)
11-21-2012, 15:56
BANGKOK - Citing a string of ethical lapses by senior military officers, Defense Secretary Leon Panetta has asked the Joint Chiefs of Staff to review ethics training and to brainstorm on ways to steer officers away from trouble.

Damn what a city to make this announcement from!!! :D

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2012/11/15/panetta-orders-ethics-training-review-for-officers.html?ESRC=army-a.nl

BMT

Paragrouper
11-21-2012, 17:54
BANGKOK - Citing a string of ethical lapses by senior military officers, Defense Secretary Leon Panetta, with an underage dancer on each arm, has asked the Joint Chiefs of Staff to review ethics training and to brainstorm on ways to steer officers away from trouble. He then returned to the bar.

You missed a couple of lines--I fixed it for you.

MtnGoat
11-21-2012, 18:03
What a joke!!

SF18C
11-21-2012, 18:09
That will help I'm sure....a $10,000 TDY trip for a power point slide show on "Stop doing the help"!

Joker
11-21-2012, 21:47
Oh I agree, an 8-Page PowerPoint slide show will fix this!:mad:

See boss, I made them look around some slides; they won't do it again!

Richard
11-22-2012, 07:04
Another "stubby pencil" paper requirement for the upcoming AGI...

Richard :munchin

Basenshukai
11-22-2012, 07:52
Another "stubby pencil" paper requirement for the upcoming AGI...

Richard :munchin

I have seen many captains fired for the smallest infractions. But, I have rarely seen batallion commander's corrected until the infraction is so bad that it can't be hidden anymore. In the infantry I remember brigade commanders that truly led their men; even their battalion commanders. While in SF - except for one 3rd GRP O-6 I have had the pleasure of working with - O-5s and above get treated with kid gloves until it is way too late.

Badger52
11-22-2012, 12:27
BOHICA
:rolleyes:

Joker, glad you used pink font because I don't think anyone knows how to do squat with 8 PPT slides.

Dozer523
11-23-2012, 07:47
Young officer told me it was available on-line. That's how he completed it. Said he just clicked through it, hardly noticed it; but got it done.

Me: "That doesn't seem ethical."
He: "It wasn't really for me, I graduated from Marquette."
Me: "Still ..."
He: "Marquette isn't a Jesuit school."
Me: "Touché."

Gonzaga won last night against Clemson and we're rated #17 in the nation.

blue02hd
11-23-2012, 09:18
This Page Intentionally Left Blank

PRB
11-23-2012, 09:37
and lets make it a yearly mandatory training event.....

blue02hd
11-23-2012, 10:09
and lets make it a yearly mandatory training event.....

Bi annual! Just in case, this is too important,,,

medic&commo
11-23-2012, 10:10
You can't fix a character flaw with a PowerPoint slide presentation.
If it worked, then sexual harrassment, alcohol / drug abuse, domestic violence - all would be history.
m&c

The Reaper
11-23-2012, 10:51
You can't fix a character flaw with a PowerPoint slide presentation.
If it worked, then sexual harrassment, alcohol / drug abuse, domestic violence - all would be history.
m&c

Yes, but your "leadership" can claim that they told you and add violation of a lawful order to the charges.

TR

AngelsSix
11-23-2012, 15:58
Yes, but your "leadership" can claim that they told you and add violation of a lawful order to the charges.

TR

True enough, sir. Sad part about all of this is the fact that the only real way to change things is to actually do something to discourage this type of behavior. Maybe if we actually PUNISH people for being indecent human beings they might stop and think of the potential consequences their actions will have, no?

MR2
11-23-2012, 16:28
True enough, sir. Sad part about all of this is the fact that the only real way to change things is to actually do something to discourage this type of behavior. Maybe if we actually PUNISH people for being indecent human beings they might stop and think of the potential consequences their actions will have, no?

So what's Bill Clinton doing these days?

The Reaper
11-23-2012, 18:59

Exactly.

There is no need for additional training, everyone knows the rules, especially the leadership, since they punish subordinates who break those rules.

As I see it, based on my experience, the problem is twofold.

First, the UCMJ and General Order 1 are trying to codify morality and stop people from doing what comes naturally. It permits the chain of command to punish those who violate it, but it isn't realistic to expect most people to refrain from all forms of sex for periods up to and beyond a year. Some people can go without for that long, but no one signed up to be a monk.

Second, people in leadership positions begin to believe that they are special. Very special, as in above the plebian rules that apply to their subordinates. When leaders have the latitude and opportunities that their positions afford, and they encounter attractive females who are drawn to them by the power and trappings of the office that they hold, rules are going to be ignored. And eventually, some of them are going to be caught, which must be a great surprise to them. The fact that they have punished subordinates for the same thing makes this even worse, IMHO.

It seems to me that it might be time to consider updating the UCMJ and modifying GO #1. We might also want to emphasize ethics at the charm schools and make examples of the next GOs caught letting their little heads think for the big ones.

Just my .02, YMMV.

TR