PDA

View Full Version : my apprehension with enlisting

silentone
11-19-2012, 11:36
Hi All,

As you might see from my first post - I am 29 turning 30 in Jan.
If I was to join, i wil have to do it the old school way - enlist infantry and work my way from there if possible.

I expect it will be valuable for me to spend a year or two in the regular infantry and see how it works and gain that valuable experience before trying to be apart of the elite - I hope to be in the ranger regiment, but will not wait for an option 40 to enlist.

my concern is this: The current infantry units are all seasoned veterans, guys with 7-8 rotations thourgh combat zones, and im afraid I would be coming in with 0 experience and be much older than them.
I assume the proper response is if your motivated and dedicated and take initiative you will be fine, im just concerned expecting to be much older than my peers and haveing 0 real experience.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts - and if you know anyone who did enlist to the infantry at 30.

Pete
11-19-2012, 11:53
A private is a private.

Most of the folks who come into the Military get out after their enlistment.

They are replaced by privates.

You will be replacing a private. Most of the folks going through basic with you are new to the military. Some will go with you to your new unit.

Don't feel like the "Lone Stranger". Cherries are Cherries and take what comes their way.

Your only problem would be if you try and play the "age" card.

1stindoor
11-19-2012, 11:59
My son is due to graduate BCT in December. I'll give you the same advice I gave him: Focus on the immediate goal, completing Basic. Don't worry about what's next, don't worry about what job, what unit, who's going with you, or how old or young or educated or anything else you are or your team mates are.

Most people that plan on a career in the military rarely make it past their second enlistment. Find a "path" you love, and before you know it you'll be ready to retire and wonder where the years have gone.

cant hardly
11-19-2012, 12:04

silentone
11-19-2012, 12:12
Thank you

Utah Bob
11-19-2012, 16:07
Maturity can be a valuable asset.

blue02hd
11-20-2012, 09:21
My question to you; Will this in anyway change your decision to serve? If the answer is yes, then don't do it. If the answer is no, then why did you ask.

If your scared buy a dog.

Dozer523
11-20-2012, 09:36
My question to you; Will this in anyway change your decision ?. Here's my question : got anything better to do?
You are unbelievably fortunate that this opportunity is even open to you. If your scared or worried or lacking in confidence just do it! And knock out three things that plague people.

If our answer does matter then I think we say "yeah, quit worrying do it. Welcome and don't forget to write."

ZonieDiver
11-20-2012, 09:51
If your scared buy a dog.

I hear Rottweilers are great! :D

HOLLiS
11-20-2012, 18:32
The best rewards in life are earned, not given.

A lot of great people started out as E-1/privates.

Richard
11-21-2012, 07:38
I was a bit apprehensive about enlisting, too - until I was drafted...and then they all went away until I was preparing to retire as an 18A/48C 23 years later.

Do; not do - your call; not ours.

Richard :munchin

35NCO
11-24-2012, 18:05
When my father dropped me off at the station to go to BCT, I asked him, "What do you think it will be like?" His response: "Son, I don't know how it is, but I can promise you,...when you get there,...that will be EXACTLY how it IS."

He was about as right and wise as he could have ever been. I joined as what I thought at the time to be a mature young adult. At least to the affect of noticing that I was definitely different than the other soldiers around me. I joined as a E1 private. Yes it sucks, but its meant to, it hardens you. We all need that at some point. Today I am a SSG only 6 1/2 years later. I worked hard and went to every board I could and volunteered for everything I could, no matter how much it sucked. Sometimes I did well, others I did not. That hard work got me to where I am today though. I am proud of what I have done considering how many times there was that self doubt. I think you have that little voice that is telling you to second guess, I say ignore it. Just go for it man, I think in the long run you will not regret it. Just remember there is always stupid people. But if at some point you end up doing some harder selection process for some other special thing, there will always be someone who was slower and dumber than you that did make it, so what the hell does it matter thinking about it? Good luck in your choice.

BTW, I am from New England as well. I believe I understand.

Radar Rider
11-24-2012, 19:23
Just remember there is always stupid people.

That is too true. When I signed up in 1985, my old man (a 20 year Air Force Vietnam veteran) asked me how I would deal with Army life. I told him that I know there are a lot of assholes, and I'll just put up with their shit.

I put up with their shit for 24 years, and retired as a 1SG, so I guess I was right.