PDA

View Full Version : Chicago has money to burn

cbtengr
10-31-2012, 18:55
Chicago plans to pay parents $25 to pick up their children's report cards and go to parent-teacher conferences

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2225622/Chicago-plans-pay-parents-25-pick-childrens-report-cards-parent-teacher-conferences.html#ixzz2AvZ2Gzp2

One cares about their childrens education because it's the right thing to do not because someone is going to give you a gift card. They are going to trial it in 70 schools to start with. This without a doubt a terrible misuse of the taxpayers dollars. In typical liberal fashion Emanuel seems to be proud of the idea.

BKKMAN
10-31-2012, 19:56
"Emanuel said he got the gift card idea during one of his morning workouts: 'That’s what happens when I start swimming. I start coming up with ideas."

If these are the stellar ideas he comes up with, he needs to stop swimming...

‘This is a way, in my view, of incentivizing responsible parenting,’ Emanuel told a news conference at Field Elementary School, Ashland.

How about telling the parents to quit being deadbeats and start taking an interest in their children's education?

From the Chicago Public Schools website located here:

http://www.cps.edu/About_CPS/At-a-glance/Pages/Stats_and_facts.aspx

404,151 (total # of students) divided by 681 (total # of schools) =

~593 students per school (on average)

70 schools (number of schools they are going to run the test in) x 593 x $25 =

$1,037,750 <-------rough cost of this test program

Must be nice to have a million dollars to piss down a deep dark hole...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sdiver
10-31-2012, 21:42
Wait .... WHAT ?!?!?! :confused:

Didn't the Chicago teachers strike at the beginning of the year ?????

Let me check real quick ......

:munchin

Yep they sure did ..... in fact, this was taken from this article ..... http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-10-04/news/sns-rt-us-usa-chicago-schoolsbre89309m-20121003_1_chicago-teachers-union-karen-lewis-part-on-student-performance

The union got guarantees that any teachers laid off will have preference to be rehired by the district, and Emanuel dropped a demand that teacher pay be tied to merit.

The deal could be costly to the school district, which has said it is facing a financial crisis.

Fitch Ratings earlier this week downgraded the Chicago Board of Education's debt rating, citing the school system's increased budget pressures in the wake of the deal. This followed a downgrade by Moody's Investors Services last week and could mean the district pays higher interest rates on any debt issues.

The pay increases would cost an extra $74 million a year, the district has said. Chicago teachers make an average of about $76,000 annually, according to the school district.

SooooooOOOOOOoooooooo ..... where'd they come up with this extra money to "Bribe" these parents ??????

Dozer523
11-01-2012, 06:37
Wait .... WHAT ?!?!?! :confused:

Didn't the Chicago teachers strike at the beginning of the year ?????

Let me check real quick ......
Yep they sure did ..... in fact, this was taken from this article .....

SooooooOOOOOOoooooooo ..... where'd they come up with this extra money to "Bribe" these parents ??????

It's CHICAGO. Bribes have their own line. :D:mad:

darbs
11-01-2012, 07:03
Chicago plans to pay parents $25 to pick up their children's report cards and go to parent-teacher conferences

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2225622/Chicago-plans-pay-parents-25-pick-childrens-report-cards-parent-teacher-conferences.html#ixzz2AvZ2Gzp2

One cares about their childrens education because it's the right thing to do not because someone is going to give you a gift card. They are going to trial it in 70 schools to start with. This without a doubt a terrible misuse of the taxpayers dollars. In typical liberal fashion Emanuel seems to be proud of the idea.

Maybe they plan on re-cooping the money with this:

"Chicago's Cook County drops bullet tax, but keeps gun levy"
http://http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-rt-us-usa-guns-chicago-taxbre89u1fx-20121031,0,5833878.story

Snip - "Under the plan, the County would impose a $25 tax on the purchase of firearms. The tax is expected to raise $600,000 in revenue in 2013."

Having worked in the public school system the last 7 years it has become painfully obvious that the school day [for some] has become nothing more than government funded daycare...

Darbs

afchic
11-01-2012, 07:21
In true Liberal fashion it would be nice if Chicago reallocated some of that money to other districts in our state. Our shools in O'fallon haven't seen money from the State in over 2 years. Things are so bad they have completely stopped ALL extra cirricular activities at the Jr High. No sports teams, no band, no nothing. At the high school our fees for for sports went up over 300%. Other extracirriculars were up over 200%. In my daughter's Honors Lit class we are required to buy all their books. There are a couple of kids in the class whose parents can't afford the books, so I buy everything in triplicate so those kids have what they need for class.

When the parents ask where all of our property taxes have gone, we get no answer. They are too busy paying for the new high school that only houses the 9th graders to pay for anything else.

Badger52
11-01-2012, 07:40
In true Liberal fashion it would be nice if Chicago reallocated some of that money to other districts in our state. Our shools in O'fallon haven't seen money from the State in over 2 years. Things are so bad they have completely stopped ALL extra cirricular activities at the Jr High. No sports teams, no band, no nothing. At the high school our fees for for sports went up over 300%. Other extracirriculars were up over 200%. In my daughter's Honors Lit class we are required to buy all their books. There are a couple of kids in the class whose parents can't afford the books, so I buy everything in triplicate so those kids have what they need for class.

When the parents ask where all of our property taxes have gone, we get no answer. They are too busy paying for the new high school that only houses the 9th graders to pay for anything else.Sadly, that sounds like the way some situations were up here. That the sky hasn't fallen as predicted (by the teacher unions) is borne out by the opposite in many areas, with municipalities finding surpluses from being able to "shop" health insurance packages competitively (vs. the U's monopolistic high-dollar stuff).

It will take alot of "illumination" I fear in a state like IL, or mini-state like Chicago, to change anything. Maybe Rahm should invite district taxpayers for a swim in his pool of enlightenment & see what ideas working parents & homeowners come up with.

Sdiver
11-01-2012, 09:46
It's CHICAGO. Bribes have their own line. :D:mad:

D'oh !!!!!! .... That's right.

It's been so long since I've been back there, I forgot.

Thanks fer clerain' that up fer me, Teach. :D

MR2
11-01-2012, 09:48
Rahm's "Pool of Enlightenment". I love it. That is right up there with Harry Reid's "Mirror, mirror on the Wall" and Barrack Obama's Oracle of Valerie 'Delphi' Jarrett.

ddoering
11-01-2012, 11:47
Perhaps they shall pay people to vote too.:eek:

Gypsy
11-01-2012, 17:10
The city and the state are run by mostly a bunch of morons.

cbtengr
11-01-2012, 17:58
The city and the state are run by mostly a bunch of morons.

Well yeah, but they care more.