PDA

View Full Version : Carving

Buffalobob
10-29-2012, 06:41
I would guess that quite a few people actually do some carving and so I thought a thread with some pictures might be interesting.

Here in Washington, DC, there is a tributary to Rock Creek that is called Soapstone Creek and it has chunks of soapstone in it. There was at one time a exposed seam near Connecticut Avenue that the Indians would use. That seam is now under a large building so all that is left is what is in the stream.
Here are a couple of things I have carved with that soapstone.

theis223
10-29-2012, 07:04
What is the first one a carving of Sir? I recognize the second one. How did you get the spot for the tab so dark?

Im curious because i have a small collection of soap stones that i have saved up over the years from when i was in the scouts that i have never gotten around to doing anything with.

Regards,
Aaron

Buffalobob
10-29-2012, 08:46
The second one is an alligator head. Some years ago I had a talk to deliver concerning the geology of Washington DC and thought some soapstone would be interesting to the audience so I carved a little on an oblong piece just to show how easy it is to shape.

The flash is just colored in with a Sharpie.

theis223
10-29-2012, 19:46
Now i see it, thank you sir.
I have tinkered with deer antler and a dremmel tool a little while back, ill have to dig up those pictures to post.

This thread is a cool idea. I hope it gets some traction on here.