PDA

View Full Version : My Yarborough

CW3SF
10-24-2012, 20:20
SF 0452 finally arrived. Only took 3 months. :D

All I can say is WOW! Excellent weight and balance and a very nice edge. I am impressed.

The Reaper
10-24-2012, 20:56
Congrats!

Wonder where it has been for the past 3-1/2 months? :D:munchin

TR

Ambush Master
10-24-2012, 22:16
Do believe the "Caution" Card!! Their Blades ARE SHARP!!!

Later
Martin

SFOC0173
10-25-2012, 04:30
Congratulations, they are a great knife.

CW3SF
10-25-2012, 06:03
Congrats!

Wonder where it has been for the past 3-1/2 months? :D:munchin

TR

Probably sitting on someones desk, to teach me the virtues of patience. :o

Go Devil
10-25-2012, 15:05
Probably sitting on someones desk, to teach me the virtues of patience. :o

While travelling down the "backside of 30" (John Conlee reference) into the 40's, I find patience to be over rated.

Great Knife!

mark46th
10-25-2012, 16:30
Nice. Well worth the wait...

Chief_of _Smoke
10-30-2012, 22:51
I Likey..........:eek:

Unapologetic Soldier
10-31-2012, 05:03
Looks bad a$$! I have a ways to go, but one I'll have my own Yarborough knife.

MtnGoat
10-31-2012, 11:55
Nice looking. Well worth the wait Chief!!

x SF med
10-31-2012, 14:22
Do believe the "Caution" Card!! Their Blades ARE SHARP!!!

Later
Martin

The wife asked to look at mine when the package came in from the museum... she cut herself taking it out of the sheath...:rolleyes::cool::p

For some reason, she's been very careful around my knife collection since then...

Bill Harsey
04-25-2013, 08:44
SF 0452 finally arrived. Only took 3 months. :D

All I can say is WOW! Excellent weight and balance and a very nice edge. I am impressed.

From Chris Reeve Knives and myself, Thanks and hope this knife serves you well. Please advise if you need any of our help.

About the wait time. it depends on the order cycle.
No Yarborough knives are produced until a written order, including serial no.s to be engraved, arrives from Ft. Bragg.
The CRK shop runs at full capacity all the time.
Upon orders received another batch is scheduled into the process.
This begins with ordering steel out of Syracuse New York and getting it shipped out so the process can begin.
Sometimes we have to wait for another steel melt and rolling to get the thickness in this particular alloy of CPM steel we need for this project.
These knives are not produced one at a time so a given number have to be made each cycle or we can't afford to do them.
I'm pretty sure this could have been some of the wait time. ;)

MR2
04-25-2013, 08:53
From Chris Reeve Knives and myself, Thanks and hope this knife serves you well. Please advise if you need any of our help.

No Yarborough knives are produced until a written order, including serial no.s to be engraved, arrives from Ft. Bragg.
This begins with ordering steel out of Syracuse New York and getting it shipped out so the process can begin.
Sometimes we have to wait for another steel melt and rolling to get the thickness in this particular alloy of CPM steel we need for this project.
These knives are not produced one at a time so a given number have to be made each cycle or we can't afford to do them.

Thanks for filling in some of the back story. And thanks for making such great knives.

CW3SF
04-25-2013, 09:57

Thanks for the info Bill.

It is an awesome blade and well worth the wait!!!

Nucleusbrains
06-09-2013, 13:20
Have any of you seen the video on youtube of the knife test on the two Chris reeve knives that bust in half during his test? Go to youtube, type in knife tests Chris Reeve and watch the two videos he does on the knives.

The Reaper
06-09-2013, 13:59
Have any of you seen the video on youtube of the knife test on the two Chris reeve knives that bust in half during his test? Go to youtube, type in knife tests Chris Reeve and watch the two videos he does on the knives.

How many do you have or have you used?

I have more than one I have carried, and while mine has never failed at any of the field tasks I have used it for, I never stabbed sheet metal, clamped it in a vise and bent it with a pipe wrench, or hammered it into a 2x4 and torqued it hard enough to break it. I fail to see why I would use a knife for that. Maybe he should be testing pry bars?

I do find it curious that a noob decides to badmouth a huge supporter of SF with his second post.

Trolling? :munchin

TR

SF_BHT
06-09-2013, 14:36
Looks like a troll, spells like a Troll mus be a Troll:munchin

Nucleusbrains
06-09-2013, 19:29
I did not "bad mouth" his blades, nor did I mean to get anyone all worked up. I simply asked a question. Yes, I own several sebenzas and a pacific. I would never use my blades like the ones in the tests either. I wouldn't expect a blade like that to break when being hit with a hammer on the spine though. I just found it strange that he did the same tests on other blades and none of those broke. Just wanted to know what some of you thought.

Pete
06-10-2013, 04:26
What I think?

I think you've made your first impression - and your first few posts in other areas of the board will be closely watched.

Your time here may be shorter than you think.

Nucleusbrains
06-10-2013, 05:19
Not the first impression I was aiming for. I didn't mean to offend. I love my CRK's as well as you guys. My best to all of you QP's. I appreciate all you've given so that others may continue to live free.
Regards, N.B.

x SF med
06-10-2013, 09:39
1. The test you speak of was rigged using liquid nitrogen (the only reason a Yarborough/GB would shatter under batoning or snap in a normal bend test)
2. The 'tester' was one of the makers who did not win the contract and to this day is unhappy about it (even though he makes a fine knife)
3. don't believe everything you see on you-tube - there may be more to the story.

My GB and Yarborough have (like TR's) been used for many things they were designed for and perform spectacularly, sharpening is not hard to accomplish, but I'm not putting either of them in a vise... they passed that test in getting chosen for issue (a standard part of the Knifemaker's Guild Test for Master Bladesmith).

The newest of the Yarborough's and GB's are in an even better steel...

What point are you trying to make?

BHT.... watch that capitalization on Troll... Troll (me, capitalized) does not equal troll (internet rodents)... as you can tell from my marvelous picture.:p

BryanK
06-10-2013, 10:05
...as you can tell from my marvelous picture.:p

The picture/avatar nudity and the mention of field knife use combined with the fact that you guys are trained in survival skills, reminded me of this show coming up on the Discovery channel : Naked Castaway (http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/naked-castaway) :D

Bill Harsey
06-10-2013, 17:02

The dude who did that vid is an outspoken proponent for another knife company.

Do me a favor and don't post here for a while. This is not a request.

SF_BHT
06-10-2013, 19:33
The dude who did that vid is an outspoken proponent for another knife company.

Do me a favor and don't post here for a while. This is not a request.

Here Here!!!!!!

You know if that was posted and comments like Hay look at this idiot that is destroying a knife. You know nothing could take this type of abuse...... Or something like that you may have gotten a better response. But to me you were just trying to stir shit in our house.

I have been using mine for a few years and I am not kind to it and it has survived use in the Amazon jungle, marine operations in the Caribbean region, opns in the mountains of Colombia, Peru, Chile and a lot more and all I have had to do is keep it clean and oiled. The edge is great and has only needed a touch up now and then.

Enjoy your vacation...:munchin

SF18C
06-10-2013, 20:20
I don't have a Yarborough (yet but I am working on it) but I do have a Reaper 7 (serial #001 and initialed by W.H.) that is one of my most prized possessions and I agree with my brothers...this is not the place to even insinuate negative connotations about "our" Master Knife Maker!

The Reaper
06-10-2013, 20:35
I guarantee I can destroy any knife made. Torches, demo, presses, shears, pipe wrenches, cheater bars, cryo, detempering, etc., etc.

Some may be easier than others.

I generally try to take my buying tips from labs, peers, and other professionals, not some unknown dude with a questionable agenda in a paintball mask performing pointless destructive testing. It looked to me like he wanted to break the GB Knife he was "testing."

If I need a prybar, an axe, or a hammer, I will try to use one. For the weight and bulk, I think the GB Knife is about as strong as a knife can be, and still be a multi-functional tool. I guess they could make a sharpened three pound crowbar for destructive testing.

I have misused a GB Knife, repeatedly, and it has never failed. I trust mine with my life.

Chris Reeve and Bill Harsey are some of the biggest perfectionists I know, and they understand what is at stake when we select and carry their products. FWIW, I don't think anyone on the planet builds a better knife than they do. Their peers would seem to agree.

If you want to buy a $10 knife to bet your life on, have at it.

TR

x SF med
06-10-2013, 21:34
TR, I'm not sure if perfectionist quite covers the ground when discussing Messrs Reeve and Harsey... It's not quite perfect enough, if you know what I mean.:eek:

Bill Harsey
06-11-2013, 10:29
Nucleusbrains,
The reason I'd asked you to stand down is this thread was started by CW3SF, a Quiet Professional, to show his new knife.

Your post was off topic for this thread and the lack of situational awareness got my attention.

I had seen the video you speak of a long time ago and had forgotten about it.

Here is my design philosophy regarding the Yarborough Knife, if your entering the Dakar Rally, you don't drive a D-8 Cat.

I grew up logging in Oregon and understand any piece of equipment can be broken and have probably helped break my share.
My heritage is of mountain men, mule skinners, sailors, loggers, hunters and yes, soldiers.
I was brought up among men and women who understood what a knife was supposed to do while managing to made a living in tough places.
Those lessons were passed down to me.

Nucleusbrains, since we are this far down the trail of changing the topic here you are cleared hot to continue posting in this thread if you would like.

CW3SF
06-11-2013, 11:04
Thanks Bill.

As thread starter, i am cool with continuing the discussion if the parties involved wish to continue it.

My experience so far is that the knife is a kick ass blade. Although i probably wont be putting it in a vice to see if i can break it. :D

Bill Harsey
06-11-2013, 11:09
Thanks Bill.

As thread starter, i am cool with continuing the discussion if the parties involved wish to continue it.

My experience so far is that the knife is a kick ass blade. Although i probably wont be putting it in a vice to see if i can break it. :D

Thank you.

MR2
06-11-2013, 12:13

Awww, vices are not that expensive...

x SF med
06-11-2013, 15:12

got mine for about $40 at Harbor Freight... Harsey designed knives, even the 'inexpensive' ones made by a legendary company in PDX are not so inexpensive...

How is it than an inexpensive piece of shop gear can be used to make knives and to break them? I think I'll name my vise Kali or Shiva.:D

The Reaper
06-11-2013, 16:27

I hate to disagree, but vices are expensive, by definition.

Vises may not be.

TR

MR2
06-11-2013, 16:31
I hate to disagree, but vices are expensive, by definition.

Vises may not be.

TR

I wondered if anyone would catch that - good attention to detail TR. ;)

CW3SF
06-11-2013, 17:56
Vice - Vise :p

Auto-correct sucks. :cool:

Nucleusbrains
06-15-2013, 16:58
Guys,
I realized that this was the wrong thread to ask that question. I apologized and moved on. I never expected so much flack.
I digress....

PRB
06-15-2013, 17:29
I have the paperwork to get one but have never done so...I guess because it's a new deal and wasn't part of the process when I went thru the Q.
Besides, I never carried expensive knives in the field (ok, one Randal in RVN but a friend gave it to me) because I always abused them opening c rats or whatever.
What the hell do you do with it?

CW3SF
06-15-2013, 18:07
I have the paperwork to get one but have never done so...I guess because it's a new deal and wasn't part of the process when I went thru the Q.
Besides, I never carried expensive knives in the field (ok, one Randal in RVN but a friend gave it to me) because I always abused them opening c rats or whatever.
What the hell do you do with it?

I got it because i can and most people can't. :D Once i had it in hand, i was really glad i bought it. It is one finely crafted blade.

PRB
06-15-2013, 18:09
I got it because i can and most people can't. :D Once i had it in hand, i was really glad i bought it. It is one finely crafted blade.

A valid reason...nice weaponry...now go out and stab someone that needs it!