PDA

View Full Version : Airborne museum weighs expansion

Pete
10-19-2012, 04:56
Airborne museum weighs expansion

http://fayobserver.com/articles/2012/10/18/1184187?sac=fo.local

"Fort Bragg officials are quietly working on a plan to expand the Airborne & Special Operations Museum.

Each year, more than 170,000 people tour the Army-owned museum, which opened in 2000. The museum is widely viewed as a catalyst for downtown Fayetteville's revitalization that has resulted in new restaurants, shops, residences and parks.

Now, Fort Bragg is developing a five-year strategic plan for the museum that may include expanding its exhibits and adding on to the building. Army planners are not discussing any details publicly until they complete a plan, perhaps by next year..........."

Nice place to drop into for a visit.

miclo18d
10-19-2012, 05:29
Didn't it almost go bust a few years after opening? There was a huge drive to save it. I hope they have their ducks in a row for an expansion.

medic&commo
10-19-2012, 13:11
Went through with my daughter (15), she liked both the exhibits and ride.
She actually asked questions and was sincere about learning more about what I did in SF.
Wish them the best.
m&c

ZonieDiver
10-19-2012, 13:21
It's a great museum. I did two visits during my recent 'pilgrimage' to Ft Bragg/Fayetteville/NC. Once was just not enough.

It was a great place for National Airborne Day, even if I was disappointed in the number of jumpers. (Mass Tac on downtown Fayetteville would've been cool!)

cbtengr
10-19-2012, 15:18
It's a great museum. I did two visits during my recent 'pilgrimage' to Ft Bragg/Fayetteville/NC. Once was just not enough.

It was a great place for National Airborne Day, even if I was disappointed in the number of jumpers. (Mass Tac on downtown Fayetteville would've been cool!)

You are so right, I was there with my wife in Aug. we also visited the nearby state museum well worth the short walk. Wonderful memorials and sculptures at both museums.

Sinister
10-20-2012, 10:32
I hope they save enough Ranger/SF/Paratrooper stuff for the National (Leg) Army Museum once it opens at Belvoir.