PDA

View Full Version : Walther P38

Streck-Fu
10-18-2012, 12:46
I am not familiar with the P38s at all and have a coworker that has found one at an estate auction near him. I wanted to ask if anyone could provide any insight as to what to look for, be wary of, and any value ranges?

We will be doing an online search as well but I wanted to ask if there are any experts here as well.

I did search and found some mentions of members owning them but not much along the lines of values or buying advice.

TIA,

Badger52
10-18-2012, 14:05
This might give you some idea of ranges for pricing (http://www.bluebookofgunvalues.com/Gun_Values/Gun_Manufacturer_Models.aspx?id=P38_MILITARY_COMME RCIAL_PISTOLS_PISTOLS_SEMI_AUTO_WALTHER_POST_WAR_M FG)

A good source would be to take that Blue Book a bit further and stroll on into your favorite brick & mortar gunshop and solicit them letting you browse quickly at their in-store copy of the Blue Book. Much of Steve Fjestad's efforts in that book regarding militaria will have mention of the most commonly faked models as well.

I don't get one every year but every couple years the store I trade at cycles them out & I get the 2 year-old hand-me down. They're a good thing to have on the shelf, even if you only buy one and will aid in assessing finish, appendices with proof-marks, etc.

Good luck!

Streck-Fu
10-18-2012, 14:17
Thank you. That will help.

Pericles
10-19-2012, 10:29
If it is just base value - then it is a matter of function being there. Collector value depends on all matching numbers, place and year of manufacture, which is the real use of a guide in this realm.