PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Cow Elk @ 200 yards

Buffalobob
10-18-2012, 08:41
I am so embarrassed to admit how close the elk was when I shot her!!! :D

On opening morning I got up at 4:45 and made some coffee and breakfast and hiked down the mountain to where I had killed an elk last year. About 9:35 a bull and cow appear about 200yards away. I had the light weight 260 Rem Eddie Harren had built for me and the shot was very easy except for the sun angle. This rifle was featured in Post #1386 of Gun Pics. I had replaced the Leopold with a Nightforce 2.5-10X. The Berger 140 Hybrid went through the lungs and broke the offside shoulder.

Interestingly enough the cow did not die and I had to finish her off. I have seen this happen with other animals which are lung shot and fall so the entrance and exit holes are closed up. This prevents the collapse of the lungs and with the animal immobile there is enough oxygen transfer going on to allow them to stay alive (my opinion).

Three fragments of the bullet exited and the knife blade points to the exit wound.

Things happened in a hurry so there was no time to video the shot on the cow but after the shot I took a video of the bull who wandered off rather aimlessly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoS7J91jX0E&list=UUgYpXTM8EypQRgbUh-rhgVg&index=1&feature=plpp_video

Buffalobob
10-18-2012, 08:45
Here are a few pictures from my Utah hunt. My camp, some scenery and some sheep herders.

craigepo
10-18-2012, 10:07
Damn. Jealous.

So, I take it you like the Bergers?

DIYPatriot
10-18-2012, 12:13
How awesome. I'd give a lot to go on a hunt like this. It's just white tail for me in the back corner of a corn or soy field. Excellent pics, too, sir!

JJ_BPK
10-18-2012, 13:31
Congrats again,,

Buffalobob
10-18-2012, 13:40
So, I take it you like the Bergers?

The "hybrids" have a shoulder angle design that makes it easier to get accuracy without extensive work on the distance from the lands and the jacket is thicker. The 20 inch barrel on the 260 does not get a lot of speed out of them and I have questions about how the thicker jacket expands on small thin skinned animals such as 100 pound whitetails. But for an elk or a thick skinned hog, I think they are fine. I am hoping to finally lay a South Carolina hog to rest in the coming year so I will know more about them after deer season and hog season. I am comfortable that the "non hybrid hunting Bergers" are a good bullet as long as you have enough sectional density to handle the animal size you are shooting.

mark46th
10-18-2012, 16:55
Nice work, as usual, Bob... No out of state hunts for me this year, my hunting partner had heart and back surgery. I do have a tag for desert mulies. Next week I am heading out to the desert for a few days to take a look. There aren't a lot of deer in the Mojave Desert, but every now and then, a big one shows up...

Viking0815
11-08-2012, 18:12
Hunted the Tabby area in Utah during the muzzleloader elk season this past weekend............I didn't see any cows, only large bulls (2x 5 points and 1 6x6).

Suprisingly warm this year, it really screwed up their annul movements.

Naturally, I had a spike tag! At least somone put meat in the freezer.

Divemaster
12-01-2012, 02:36
Embarrassed at a 200 yard shot? I don't get it. (yeah, I know you're kidding) I was quite happy with my 23 yard shot on a big bodied Washington State blacktail buck. And that wasn't with a bow but with a .300 Win mag. Winter meat in the freezer! I'd love an elk cow hunt. Well done and congrats on putting some meat down. Let me know if you need a hunting partner next season! :D

Buffalobob
12-02-2012, 07:59
I enjoy hunting and having a challenge. Part to the challenge for the easy to kill animals is the actually shooting. I have killed five cow elk there over the last four years. I started back archery hunting just to increase the difficulty. The cow elk with a bow was the most fun. I am going to start hunting a new area next year just to get some newness and excitement into it again.

You can scroll down through my videos and see all of the animals I have shot over the last few years

http://www.youtube.com/user/Microcystis?feature=mhum