PDA

View Full Version : The nose/smell?

Guy
10-20-2004, 15:57
How many people still use that?

My eyesight ain't all that good. ;) Which enhances all of my other senses. :D

Ambush Master
10-20-2004, 16:07
Hell yes, I do !!! I can smell a Rattlesnake or Water Moccasin from about 2-3 meters and Copperheads at about 1 !! Amazingly, I still have very good hearing and only need reading glasses (the age thing!!).

Sweetbriar
10-20-2004, 20:42
AM, what do those snakes smell like? I had no idea they could be sniffed out.

Ambush Master
10-20-2004, 21:14

First, you tell me what a Peach smells like and how could I tell the difference between it and an Apple by the smell !!! Keep in mind that you need to explain it to me and I have NEVER smelled either before !!

This is not something that can be explained in this type of forum, nor in even a face to face discourse, but only in a hands on practical exercise.

Not being a smart ass here, but there is no other answer to that question !!

Sdiver
10-21-2004, 08:18

Don't they smell like Chicken ? :munchin

Guy
10-21-2004, 08:31
There will be someting in the AIR...that will make you fuckin FREEZE!

I mean just STOP dead in your tracks...somethings you just can't explain.

flyboy1
10-21-2004, 09:04
Don't they smell like Chicken ? :munchin

Only when cooked.

Sweetbriar
10-21-2004, 09:16
That's plenty good enough explanation, AM. With snakes being predators, I somehow had just assumed they would be odorless relative to their surroundings so they could hunt without mice sniffing them out, too. Next time I visit a reptile exhibit I'll be sure to get a whiff and compare.

Roguish Lawyer
10-25-2004, 09:00
Snakes definitely have a unique smell. AM: very impressive that you can differentiate among species, especially in the field!!

Team Sergeant
10-25-2004, 10:33
When I walked point I would constantly “smell” the air, just as a dog sniffing out a scent.
Unlike hunters, warriors need to be on the alert for any changes in their environments as a change in smell could/would be a definite indicator of an enemy presence.

TS

The Reaper
10-25-2004, 10:35
I have picked up cigarette smoke at night incredible distances away.

Snakes, I can't recall smelling. Maybe I need more time in the Snake Room.

TR

Ambush Master
10-25-2004, 13:13
When I walked point I would constantly “smell” the air, just as a dog sniffing out a scent.
Unlike hunters, warriors need to be on the alert for any changes in their environments as a change in smell could/would be a definite indicator of an enemy presence.

TS

That's one of the reasons we would start eating Indig chow a couple of days before and during an Op. That is where I acquired a taste for Nouc Mam, not bad really. Also, if you think that you have never eaten it in anything and you've eaten Chinese, Vietnamese, or Thai food, YOU HAVE !!! :D

brewmonkey
10-25-2004, 13:21
Smell is an integral part of the senses. You can only taste 5 basic things salty,
sour, sweet, bitter, umami but you can smell millions.

Smell was one of the first senses that I developed during my time as a brewer. I have learned to pick out flaws in beers before I even taste them. It is kind of cool when you can do stuff like that.

vsvo
10-25-2004, 13:46
...That is where I acquired a taste for Nouc Mam, not bad really...

AM, as a Vietnamese-American, albeit a very Americanized one (I immigrated to the States when I was 5), I respect you even more! I couldn't imagine food w/o nuoc mam, but of course that's a biased opinion. :o

Here's another one, have you ever tried durian?

Ambush Master
10-25-2004, 14:44
AM, as a Vietnamese-American, albeit a very Americanized one (I immigrated to the States when I was 5), I respect you even more! I couldn't imagine food w/o nuoc mam, but of course that's a biased opinion. :o

Yes I have. The little spiny, smelly fruit !! Remember, I worked with the Montagnards and there wasn't much in that part of the world that we didn't eat !!!

Roguish Lawyer
10-25-2004, 15:22

I have. Good stuff! If you don't mind the taste and smell for about 3 days.