PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Carter - Icon of the Liberal Party

NousDefionsDoc
10-19-2004, 17:23
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6281085/

Quote:
MATTHEWS: Let me ask you the question about—this is going to cause some trouble with people—but as an historian now and studying the Revolutionary War as it was fought out in the South in those last years of the War, insurgency against a powerful British force, do you see any parallels between the fighting that we did on our side and the fighting that is going on in Iraq today?

CARTER: Well, one parallel is that the Revolutionary War, more than any other war up until recently, has been the most bloody war we’ve fought. I think another parallel is that in some ways the Revolutionary War could have been avoided. It was an unnecessary war.

Had the British Parliament been a little more sensitive to the colonial’s really legitimate complaints and requests the war could have been avoided completely, and of course now we would have been a free country now as is Canada and India and Australia, having gotten our independence in a nonviolent way.

Peanut Boy has lost it.

The Reaper
10-19-2004, 17:45

CARTER: Well, one parallel is that the Revolutionary War, more than any other war up until recently, has been the most bloody war we’ve fought.

Did this man miss out on required War Between the States lessons at his Elementary School in Georgia? Over twice as many men as the entire RW cost the U.S. fell IN ONE DAY at Antietam.

Maybe he forgot that little dust-up from 1941-1945?

Let's see, the Revolutionary War is 3rd in terms of % of the population involved, after the Civil War and WW II.

In numbers of casualties, the 10,623 casualties of the RW are exceeded by every U.S. war except for the War of 1812, Spanish-American War, and the Gulf Wars.

The RW's 5.3% casualty rate is exceeded by the Civil War (25.1%), Mexican War (22.2%), WW I (6.8%), and WW II (6.6%).

http://www.cwc.lsu.edu/cwc/other/stats/warcost.htm

This is the peanut head who is going to lecture us about voting irregularities?

What an idiot.

TR

Bravo1-3
10-19-2004, 17:55
Out of his freakin mind!

But then, this is a guy who left office with over 10% unemployment, 13% inflation, crime out of control, a blooming cocaine epidemic, negative economic growth, the lowest numbers of home ownership of any American President, the highest rate of foreclosure, a military that was almost irreparably damaged, and the prestige of the United States at an all time low.

He had one major achievement: the Camp David Accord, which was basically the imputes of the Islamic Militant Movement in Egypt, but better than another war between Israel and Egypt.

That aside, he was a dismal failure as a President. All one needs to do to be a successful president is to look at every decision that Carter made, and do the opposite.

He is far from a model for someone wishing to lead this country to emulate.

Gypsy
10-19-2004, 18:01
Some people should never open their mouths. He'd be one of those people.

Roguish Lawyer
10-19-2004, 19:46
TR:

You are killing me! LMAO

longrange1947
10-24-2004, 08:49
Seems one point you guys are missing is that jerk off said until recently. Is he saying that we have a bloodier war going now than any other war in our history?

This man is past senile , he is dangerously unstable and yes he is going to decide if the voting in Florida is legal. Does this not bother the rest of the US?

It scares the hell out of me.

shootandloot
10-27-2004, 11:55

Quote:
Had the British Parliament been a little more sensitive to the colonial’s really legitimate complaints and requests the war could have been avoided completely, and of course now we would have been a free country now as is Canada and India and Australia, having gotten our independence in a nonviolent way.

It's this type of revisionists historian crap that frustrated the hell out of me in college. It's a balless attitude like this that cost him the election against Ronald Reagan

DoctorDoom
10-28-2004, 03:29
x

brownapple
10-28-2004, 07:30
You miss a rather large point, Doc. Carter said "had the British Parliament"...

Problem was not entirely the Parliament (where there was significant support for the viewpoint of the Colonists), but also King George III. And no matter how "reasonable" the British Parliament in 1774 or 1775 had been (or were as the Revolution progressed), the nut who wore the crown made that all pretty much immaterial.

The Reaper
10-28-2004, 09:06
You miss a rather large point, Doc. Carter said "had the British Parliament"...

Problem was not entirely the Parliament (where there was significant support for the viewpoint of the Colonists), but also King George III. And no matter how "reasonable" the British Parliament in 1774 or 1775 had been (or were as the Revolution progressed), the nut who wore the crown made that all pretty much immaterial.

A very cogent and relevant observation.

Rule of the British Empire in 1775 is not what it is today.

TR

Kyobanim
10-28-2004, 09:32
I've refrained from saying anything about any past or present American presidents simply out of respect for the office. But Jimmy Carter is the biggest ASS CLOWN to ever walk on American soil. He damn near trashed my Army and country in the 70s, and continues to spew bull shit today. Anyone who would even consider interviewing this AC and considering his comments relevant needs to turn their brain over to science for research. Maybe this idiocy can be bred out of the gene pool.

Excuse me, it's been a long couple of days.

NousDefionsDoc
10-28-2004, 10:18
How so? While the rest of his statement is pretty idiotic, Carter is correct in saying that had the British been more reasonable the entire conflict with the colonies could have been avoided. I believe Lord North said precisely the same thing, vociferously supported this position with significant support in Parliament, and several of the King's Generals were against the war on military grounds as well. Most Americans wanted to remain subjects of the crown, and a full third of them sided/fought with King George III's forces. If anything, the Commonwealth system was established because of the British experience with America and India. Ball-less or not, that portion of Carter's statement is not inaccurate. What is ridiculous is that he is saying that the situation in Iraq is comparable, with us playing the role of the British and the Iraqi's playing the role of colonial America. A little more understanding of "legitimate" complaints will not end the insurgency.
If a frog had wings....Like GH and Reaper said, Parliment wasn't running things, the King was. Also, if they had been more reasonable, they wouldn't have been the Brits of that era. That war was a foregone conclusion for several reasons. How much longer would the colonists accepted even "reasonable rule" from thousands of miles away? A man will only give for so long before he starts taking.

DoctorDoom
11-01-2004, 15:18
x

brownapple
11-01-2004, 17:47
Doc,

Bullshit. Read some of the original documentation of the era. Talk to David Skaggs or any other historian who specializes in that era. Bottom line was that the King held absolute power if he chose to use it, and he chose to use it regarding the American colonies. Nothing the Parliament could have done about it. Nothing at all (unless you think they were willing to have another civil war over the colonies. Yeah, right).

DoctorDoom
11-11-2004, 14:55
x