PDA

View Full Version : India's Trade Unions Upset

Badger52
09-20-2012, 18:29
I admit not knowing as much about India as I should. I was struck in the story by how similar the statements by Walmart were back when middle America was getting "invaded." Change a few things in the article and it sounds like they're headed into East Ottertail, MN.

LINK (http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/09/20/trade-union-strikes-cripple-parts-india/?test=latestnews)
Until now, such foreign multibrand retail operations have been banned. There may be restaurant chains like McDonald's and international fashion labels in India but not multibrand foreign retail.

This new legislation changes all that. With 150 million people described as middle class in India, there is a big market for the Walmarts of the world to tap.

But the owners of “mom and pop” grocery stores in many parts of India are up in arms, fearing this will mark their end.
Wal Mart India issued the following statement: “We are grateful that the government has realized and appreciated the value that we will bring to strengthen the Indian economy. This policy change will allow us to connect directly with the consumer and save them money. By being ‘stores of the community,’ we will also help them live better.“Recognizing the backing of the protests, this isn't meant to be a Walmart-bashing (although I go in there as little as possible). Many of the stores around here applying sound business practices against their real customer base weathered the storm and are doing quite well once the Arkansas honeymoon passed.

cbtengr
09-20-2012, 19:15
http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20120919/NEWS05/209190321/Retailers-Kmart-Target-Wal-Mart-turn-50

As an aside the big 3 turn fifty this year, I well remember K-MART being around all those years but not the other two. Grandma loved her K-Mart and KFC and Long John Silvers. I am guessing that WALMART will be recieved in the same fashion in India as it is here, they will either love it or they won't. My question however is where will there call center be? Be sort of ironic if it were here in the U.S.

trvlr
09-21-2012, 18:08
My question however is where will there call center be? Be sort of ironic if it were here in the U.S.

America has plenty of Urdu, Hindi, and Punjabi speakers. We could run call centers for almost any country in the world! This may be a watershed event for the US. :D