PDA

View Full Version : Military burials bring final dignity to homeless veterans

Pete
09-19-2012, 03:52
Military burials bring final dignity to homeless veterans

http://www.stripes.com/news/military-burials-bring-final-dignity-to-homeless-veterans-1.189811

"WICHITA, Kan. — He had nothing left to his name but his military service.

When the 64-year-old collapsed on the streets of this Midwestern city last month and soon died, he was homeless and alone — one of the 130,000 faceless veterans who go without shelter on any given night in this country.

Instead of being buried in a pauper’s grave — an ending that would have only reinforced his anonymous last years — the Vietnam veteran was again recognized as Army Sgt. Patrick Dunagan and honored with a military funeral....................."

Nice cause many folks help with.

JJ_BPK
09-19-2012, 04:07
RIP Warriors, Vaya con Dios..

Good, Warm Fuzzies,, Tx Pete..

1stindoor
09-19-2012, 06:30
Thanks for that post. I'm sorry he died alone. He isn't anymore, he's surrounded by those he served with.

DIYPatriot
09-19-2012, 07:57
How touching - thanks for sharing this. RIP Sgt Patrick Dunagan and thank you for serving this nation, sir.

orion5
09-19-2012, 11:18
Rest in Peace, SGT Patrick Dunagan. Thank you for your service.

Thanks to the coroners and veterans service managers who take the time to ID the deceased. I'm sure it's time-consuming if the veteran has been homeless and living off the grid for a while. So thank you to the team who is dedicated to doing this.

Box
09-19-2012, 11:40
The headline hits the theme pretty good...
"Final Dignity"

Great article. It's good to see that not everyone is at the mall or at home on facebook. There are still folks out there that acknowledge the lifelong sacrifices of the military.

Pete, thanks for finding and posting that article.

Richard
09-19-2012, 11:43
Good piece.

One of my favorite episodes from the West Wing was where Toby arranged for a military funeral at Arlington for a homeless Korean War vet - it's worth 5 minutes of your life to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqLIH2UiPXg

Richard :munchin

Badger52
09-19-2012, 14:10
Good piece.

One of my favorite episodes from the West Wing was where Toby arranged for a military funeral at Arlington for a homeless Korean War vet - it's worth 5 minutes of your life to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqLIH2UiPXg

Richard :munchinAgreed.

Good to reflect that, when finally done, one is in good company. Retired friend I served with has this as one of the things that gets her up in the AM; good & right work. She can't fix the economy single-handed but she can work to do the next right thing.

Gypsy
09-19-2012, 17:13
Thank you Pete.

Rest in Peace, SGT Patrick Dunagan.

Utah Bob
09-19-2012, 18:02
We can all say "There but for the Grace of God..."

Rest in Peace and Honor, Sergeant.

SF_BHT
09-19-2012, 18:19
Rest in Peace Sgt.

Barbarian
09-20-2012, 06:59
Rest easy SGT. Dunagan.

Thank you for your service to our nation.

AngelsSix
10-07-2012, 17:20
This is wonderful and very sad at the same time. I hate hearing that in a prosperous country like ours that we have any veteran that is homeless. I know that mental illness plays a large part in it but it still upsets me. The Patriot Guard Riders were mentioned and played a large role in this; they do some great work.

Stay safe,

K

Dreadnought
10-07-2012, 23:56
That is outstanding. Very nice work

medic&commo
10-08-2012, 07:02
Thank you Pete.

Rest in Peace, SGT Patrick Dunagan.

And to so many other veterans we may never know - may they all R.I.P. with final dignity.
m&c