PDA

View Full Version : I Have PTSD…So What?

Kyobanim
09-17-2012, 17:26
I didn't see anything in a search ..

I have PTSD. We all know what it is, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. I am one of millions who are affected by it each and every day. Millions of men and women who have varying symptoms yet manage to maintain a normal lifestyle. I, along with my cohorts, have been classified as a potential powder keg just waiting on that spark to set us off into a murderous explosion of ire. This is not the case as I am just as normal as you.

At the end of every day I lay my head down in an attempt to sleep. That in itself is no different than you. But when my eyes close and I should be drifting off into a peaceful bliss, my mind takes over and I am tormented in my dreams with a vivid and exaggerated version of every combat encounter witnessed. There has been nary a night that I do not have this, and have not had an uninterrupted night of sleep for years. Yet in the morning, I rise with the consistency of the sun, roll out of my sweat soaked bed, and shake off the remnants of the nightly battles and start my day…just like you.

I am functional in society, but I am a little more vigilant than you, always on the look-out for danger, avoiding large crowds and loud places. But somehow, I can still manage to go out to eat, shop for my clothes and drive my car. I pay close attention to those around me, see the drug deal that just took place on my right and notice the people who just don’t belong in a certain situation. You may not have evil intentions, but I will notice nonetheless.

Full article

http://rhinoden.rangerup.com/i-have-ptsd-so-what/

MR2
09-17-2012, 17:40
Good article - kind of spells it out for what many are going through.

I like words. Throwing out some thoughts for "General Discussion".

Post seems pretty clear and so does Disorder. But lets look at Disorder - is having Post Traumatic Stress always a Disorder? Using the article as an example, the writer has had Traumatic Stress and seems to suffer. But does his suffering rise to the level of Disorder?

What is Traumatic Stress? Phase I or whatever it is called today? An automobile accident? Watching mates get hit by an IED? Long-term combat vs. a single combat situation?

Not looking to personalize this, just trying to get a feel of the range of thought here.

afchic
09-17-2012, 17:44
I didn't see anything in a search ..

Full article

http://rhinoden.rangerup.com/i-have-ptsd-so-what/

This could have been written by my uncle. He died knowing he had it, but NEVER talked about it, and just accepting that it was part of what went with what he did in Korea and Vietnam.

The Reaper
09-17-2012, 17:49
It wasn't popular, till people found out there was money in it.

Several guys I know who never saw combat are collecting for it, along with some who, IIRC, never even deployed outside the CONUS. The NTC combat must be more realistic than I thought.

The VA requires minimal documentation to prove the trauma, so a lot of people just add it on when they are asked.

They asked when I came through, and I told them no. Not ethical to take money fraudulently and to potentially deprive another vet.

Plus I suspect that eventually, that database will be merged with the criminal one, and then, no guns for you. Ever.

TR

Eagle5US
09-17-2012, 18:23
It wasn't popular, till people found out there was money in it.

Several guys I know who never saw combat are collecting for it, along with some who, IIRC, never even deployed outside the CONUS. The NTC combat must be more realistic than I thought.

The VA requires minimal documentation to prove the trauma, so a lot of people just add it on when they are asked.

They asked when I came through, and I told them no. Not ethical to take money fraudulently and to potentially deprive another vet.

Plus I suspect that eventually, that database will be merged with the criminal one, and then, no guns for you. Ever.

TR

Spot on...ALL POINTS>

longrange1947
09-17-2012, 19:48
Gee TR, can I use that as an excuse if I shoot them when they try? :munchin :D

Razor
09-17-2012, 20:09
Also note, the name is Post Traumatic Stress, not Post Combat Stress. Lots of folks in society experience pretty severe stress (auto accident, assault, rape, industrial accident, a house fire, viewing a death, etc.), and many seem to continue living without a big handout from Uncle Sugar to help them cope. That's not to say no one needs help, but like TR said, I believe there are many milking the system.

1stindoor
09-18-2012, 06:56
Gee TR, can I use that as an excuse if I shoot them when they try? :munchin :D

I always joke that I'm not going to claim PTSD now so that when push comes to shove...I'll have an ace up my sleeve for the jury.

Dozer523
09-18-2012, 07:42
I always joke that I'm not going to claim PTSD now so that when push comes to shove...I'll have an ace up my sleeve for the jury.Don't forget to use the twitch you've been practicing.

1stindoor
09-18-2012, 08:08
Don't forget to use the twitch you've been practicing.

Good call...I'm already practicing yelling out random commands at teammates only I can see.

longrange1947
09-18-2012, 09:11
Don't forget to use the twitch you've been practicing.

OK, lost another cup of coffee!

I usually tell them to go back outside and get back on the moped. While yelling this make sure you are looking over your shoulder. :)

frostfire
09-20-2012, 22:17
Also note, the name is Post Traumatic Stress, not Post Combat Stress. Lots of folks in society experience pretty severe stress (auto accident, assault, rape, industrial accident, a house fire, viewing a death, etc.), and many seem to continue living without a big handout from Uncle Sugar to help them cope. That's not to say no one needs help, but like TR said, I believe there are many milking the system.

no suprises then, we have dependents coming with PTSD claim as well....

You know you can't say a ******** thing lest someone got butt hurt and put complaint on the commander's facebook page :rolleyes: