PDA

View Full Version : Soldiers issued enhanced M14s

Pete
09-15-2012, 11:23
Soldiers issued enhanced M14s

http://www.fortcampbellcourier.com/news/article_f4b8f4a0-fde0-11e1-a69b-0019bb2963f4.html

"by Spc. Kadina Baldwin, 1st Brigade Combat Team

Soldiers of the 1st Battalion, 327th Infantry Regiment, 1st Brigade Combat Team, 101st Airborne Division, became familiar with their new M14 Enhanced Battle Rifles as they trained for Personnel Security Detachment duty for their battalion Sept. 6, at Johnson Field..................."

What was old becomes new - with a bunch of new parts.

longrange1947
09-15-2012, 12:12
Pete, that sucker has been out for years. EBR was initially a DMR and it was issued to the 82d some 4 or 5 years ago. The rules with it is as stupid as the M21 rules. They can't, unless common sense has prevailed, take it apart to clean it. The sucker used to shift zeros as it got dirty and hot. It is not by any stretch anything but a "battle rifle". They are now realizing it I believe.

Hognose (RIP)
09-17-2012, 15:14
their new M14 Enhanced Battle Rifles as they trained for Personnel Security Detachment duty

Two comments: It is as LR says a rack-grade M14 that's upgraded by Rock Island Arsenal (the military operation, not the importer of el-cheapo pistols). The major upgrade is the Sage stock or "chassis" and rails system so all the gadgets can be attached, and a Harris bipod. I've seen a bunch of them with 5.56 BDC ACOGs on them, indicating that someone doesn't read his manuals or know how range compensation works. I have a magazine article here (somewhere) on the process of assembling them, and a a flyer from Sage on the features of the stock that's a PDF I could post.

The old non-disassembly cleaning was the rule on the old M21 system and, IIRC, on NM M14s (the M21 was a national match M14 with a Leatherwood ART II. NM meant selected parts, more precise iron sights, and glass bedding). You didn't disassemble the M21 because disassembly loosened the glass bedding. Since the EBR isn't glass bedded, I dunno why they'd try imposing the same rule. Now, at least, they have bore snakes so you can clean the bore in the proper direction -- the M21s were cleaned from the muzzle and that was one reason they had lousy barrel life.