PDA

View Full Version : Home Invasions

trunkmonkey
09-11-2012, 15:33
I know this topic has been hit upon in several threads but I am in need of specific and direct input.

I came back from a few overseas excursions and finally saved up enough for my wife and I (who is currently deployed in A-Stan) to buy a house in cash. I did extensive research and found a nice area with decent schools in our price range. My son and I have been living here for a month and it has been great, quiet with good neighbors. Within the last week there have been 7 home invasions. My neighbor next door was the first where 3 males beat on his door then started prying it open with a crowbar. He is not military and has exactly 0 training but he wounded 1 in the leg with his 12ga shotgun, which is out of the 4 rounds he fired. The police responded within 3 mins but the perps were already gone. All three criminals were picked up several blocks away at the circle K.

Another incident involved several males jumping a back yard wall and smashing in the rear glass door. The older lady that was home shot her little 380 from in her bedroom and the robbers fled.

I am not by any means a gunslinger, however, I do know that when rounds are flying I can hit what I aim at. I am confident in my skills with my weapons at the house but I am not the best. I live with my 4 yr old son who is home all the time with me. We have a dog that is a decent warning system but not a guard dog. I held beliefs that dogs were a large deterrent but another recent incident had 2 rottweilers get beaten to death right before the home invasion began. I also have a home security system as everyone else here does which seems to be of no consequence. My son and I play a game where I tell him to go hide and he runs to the bedroom and locks the door, then he goes into the master bathroom and locks that door, followed by laying down in the bathtub until i tell him to come out.

I have an M4 with aimpoint loaded with RBCD ammo, a Hk45C and a USP45 both loaded with RBCD and an 1100 Tactical with 00B.

With WHAT I HAVE what changes would you make day 1 and what changes would you plan for next payday and further? Moving is not an option for a while. I am interested in things such as "I would get this dog and why, I would buy this door lock and why" but it needs to not be an immediate solution. If all were perfect I would live in a compound in the middle of the forest with a 300yd kill zone around my house with a fortified Mk19 position on my roof with claymores, bangalores, and mortars. Alas i do not have these things so i will have to do with what I have.

Pete
09-11-2012, 16:29
Yes, it has been talked about in a number of threads.

Which if you read them all you would know they covered just about everything.

Starting with hardening the front door entry, + add a security bar going from the handle to the floor, trim shrubs, motion lights, window stops, lock gates to the rear yard, lock shed, don't leave tools that can be used for entry or weapons in your yard.

Neighborhood watch - alert neighbors - you are all in it together - work together or sink together. You all should know each other and who belongs at the homes.

You didn't say when/time they happened.

Around here it's daytime during normal work hours. They look for the easy house they can kick in the front door - and Oh, no dogs.

The Reaper
09-11-2012, 17:48
Yes, it has been talked about in a number of threads.

Which if you read them all you would know they covered just about everything.

Starting with hardening the front door entry, + add a security bar going from the handle to the floor, trim shrubs, motion lights, window stops, lock gates to the rear yard, lock shed, don't leave tools that can be used for entry or weapons in your yard.

Neighborhood watch - alert neighbors - you are all in it together - work together or sink together. You all should know each other and who belongs at the homes.

You didn't say when/time they happened.

Around here it's daytime during normal work hours. They look for the easy house they can kick in the front door - and Oh, no dogs.

Plus 1 on everything Pete said. Your local LE agency should have a crime prevention officer to come by and give you some tips.

Three minutes response time is great, BTW.

Your threat is almost certainly illegals, probably gang members. They are not easily deterred if you have something they want.

Harden all exterior entrances to delay the invaders. Get heavy duty metal exterior security doors. Consider burglar bars or security gates. Install 3" screws in all hinges, locks, and deadbolts as a good start, along with metal boxes for the deadbolts to seat in, with security plates around the doorknob to prevent kick-ins. Bar the door as Pete described. Lowe's and Home Depot carry the reinforcements you need.

If you have a sliding glass door, accept that it is going to create easy access. Nevertheless, block it and install locks to prevent it from being lifted out of the frame.

Create additional delays inside in case you and your son are there when they return (as you have already done). Reinforce all interior doors that you need to delay with solid core doors, install deadbolts, and use the long screws in them as well. If you are building or remodeling, add extra 2x4" studs to the sides of the door frame.

Layers slow people down and buy time for you to take action, or for the police to arrive. Nothing is perfect, anything can be defeated given enough time. Call for help early and delay the intruders from reaching your family as long as possible.

Make sure your firearms are secured from your son, and burglars, while remaining rapidly accessible by you.

Put lights and radios/TVs on timers to create noise when you are away from home.

Make sure your garage door has bolts to lock it when closed.

Ensure that the exterior of your house is well lit, and there are no blind spots to hide while breaking in or to ambush you upon your return.

Keep ladders stored away in your garage, and all breaking and entry tools secured.

Get with your neighbors and watch out for one another. Organizing a Community Watch is a great idea. Report strangers or unknown vehicles acting suspiciously. Remember what happened to George Zimmerman before you confront people.

Plant thorny bushes, like barberry, holly, or cacti under all windows.

Get a monitored alarm service that will dispatch police quickly.

Get security cameras covering the exterior entrances, and set the system up so that you can watch them from any TV in the house, or from a computer/smart phone when away. Get in the habit of checking the cameras before leaving or opening the door.

Use the search button.

All the best.

TR

trunkmonkey
09-11-2012, 18:14
Amazing info so far. I will continue to use the search button and work on my Google Fu. So far today I have hung all long guns at the juncture between the wall and ceiling in my bedroom so they are just a grab away and well out of reach of curious fingers. I have also installed the screw twist locks onto rails that the garage door rides in and welded a piece of rebar across the whole bottom of the door to help prevent it being pried open quickly. I will be modifying the doors to the house in the near future and will most definitely be upgrading interior doors. It looks like I am going to become very familiar with Lowes and Home Depot in the near future. The crime prevention officer is inexplicably busy recently.

And apparently I'm going native as I now have a cactus garden under my windows.

Thank you very much for your help and insight. Any more ideas are always welcome.

The Reaper
09-11-2012, 18:19
Don't forget keeping fire exits open, in case you or your family have to get out.

TR

Old Dog New Trick
09-11-2012, 18:36
In addition to above...

Replace peephole with one-way camera: can see out but not in. If you have windows on garage door with garage door opener either remove safety latch lanyard or block windows near rail track. Also, lock up or remove handheld garage door openers from vehicles left out over night or while away shopping and think about pocket litter (stuff with addresses) you leave in unattended vehicles, and don't use your actual home as "HOME" in a portable GPS.

Maintain situational awareness when departing or returning home. If something doesn't look right: a car, a salesman/solicitor or someone that follows you home from the market have a plan - drive around the block and observe or continue on to a safe place. Home is not a safe place if out numbered.

If someone you do not know representing a utility company or service knocks on the door ask to see ID, if not comfortable ask them to come back at a later time, then call their company dispatch to confirm the service call. Only the police or fire department will ask you to leave because of an emergency.

CSB
09-11-2012, 19:04
Keep car keys next to bed, so you/wife can press the red button and set off car alarm instantly

longrange1947
09-11-2012, 19:05
If you can't afford the camera, then get the on way peep hole. It is about 1.5 inches on your side and it appears as a bar across a small opening on the outside. They can't see in but you can see out from a distance and at an angle due to prism technology.

This is one example. hxxp://www.peepholesecurity.com/products.htm

Change xx to tt. :)

Destrier
09-11-2012, 19:14
Surgical hose run through to a point above a doorway, and a good can of OC bear spray can buy you valuable time.

trunkmonkey
09-11-2012, 19:15
I don't have a car alarm but I do like the idea very much. All these attacks are happening during the day usually after people leave for work. I have moved my panic button to wall mounted right next to the rifle. I figure that my security system isn't going to stop anyone from entering although it calls the police while I'm securing the family. My yard gates are always padlocked. I also did not plant cactus under any of the bedroom windows or windows that were the only way out.

My home improvement list keeps getting longer.

Old Dog New Trick
09-11-2012, 19:44
Unless your home security system is wireless/cellular you will also need to protect, hide, or conceal cable or telephone lines from source to residence. But, this is more so for the random burglar. Home invasion by definition is an assault by force of the premises whether occupied or not, and during the times that security systems are turned off.

It sucks but if your neighborhood is being targeted the best defense is a good offense and you and your wife being prepared in around the home. At least on your own property concealed carry is generally granted but check local law first. A gun is only useful if it is handy or in a safe room that can be gotten to before the invader.

Destrier
09-11-2012, 20:06
I guess sending the family on vacation, ..then baiting the garbage with high tech computer, stereo, TV boxes etc .... and then eating tuna from a can and relaxing in a quiet, dark house for a week is out of the question.

Team Sergeant
09-11-2012, 22:31
I guess sending the family on vacation, ..then baiting the garbage with high tech computer, stereo, TV boxes etc .... and then eating tuna from a can and relaxing in a quiet, dark house for a week is out of the question.

I really like the way you think......;) ( He's in Phoenix, maybe I'll go "house-sit" for him......)

trunkmonkey
09-11-2012, 22:40
Well my wife is deployed and the boy goes to grandmas tomorrow. I may park the truck somewhere else and take some great advice.

I carry the whole time I'm dressed. ;)

I would like to thank everyone for their support and ideas both here and in pm.
The thought of an ODA hiding in my bushes makes me chuckle. I guess instead of Neighborhood Watch I can do Neighborhood Overwatch, take up a position on my roof with my m4 and a can.

TS your always welcome over here. After everything is done we can stack 'em in the driveway and enjoy tasty adult beverages.

SMP9168
09-11-2012, 22:59
If you're comfortable with it, PM me your address and I'll make it a point to spend some on duty time in your neighborhood. I drive an unmarked vehicle and have plenty of ammo.

You live in Phoenix proper, correct?

Ghost_Team
09-12-2012, 06:38
I didn't see anyone else mention this, but I haven't searched the other threads so I'll apologize for a repeat. Hurricane film is a good way to reinforce your windows. It won't make them impregnable, but it will buy you some time while the bad guys try and get through it.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Window_Film/Solutions/Markets-Products/Residential/Safety-Security_Window_Films/

Pete
09-12-2012, 06:54
I didn't see anyone else mention this, but I haven't searched the other threads so I'll apologize for a repeat. Hurricane film is a good way to reinforce your windows. It won't make them impregnable, but it will buy you some time while the bad guys try and get through it.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Window_Film/Solutions/Markets-Products/Residential/Safety-Security_Window_Films/

Loved the little break in video clip. Looks like for full protection you need the bonding strips.

trunkmonkey
09-12-2012, 10:18
Ghost Team,

Great find, that looks like the solution I have been looking for in regards to my windows. I priced full storm windows and didn't like the fact that they are hard to exit.

craigepo
09-12-2012, 12:28
Here in flyover country, we are seeing an alarming increase in crime stemming from consumption of "bath salts". The best way I can describe the high these folks are on is a combination of meth and PCP. The result is some crazy, whacked-out people that will do anything and don't feel much pain. The new crime we are experiencing is much more overt; no waiting until Johnny Homeowner leaves for work.

Our sheriff had a 15-minute hand-to-hand fight with a guy and a gal a couple weeks ago. He tasered the gal; she pulled the probes out. He was out in a very rural part of the county, and it took 30 minutes for backup to get on scene. Long story short, after the 15-minute fight, bad guy came at sheriff with large set of needle-nose pliers. Sheriff had to shoot bad guy, 8-hour manhunt for bad girl. Sheriff had a 1st-round hit to shoulder/arm of bad guy, bad guy spun and kept coming. Took two more center-mass to end the fight.

If you are having an similar issue in your area with these bath salts, remember that these people are not going to go down with one hole in them. They are cranked-up pretty good. Keep pulling the trigger.

sinjefe
09-12-2012, 12:53
The result is some crazy, whacked-out people that will do anything and don't feel much pain.

Hollow points

trunkmonkey
09-28-2012, 12:33
I would like to thank everyone for all the help and advice on home defense. I am taking steps and adding items as they can be afforded. I will attempt to post a Lessons Learned write up as soon as things are done and pictures can be posted to make this thread more effective for anyone else having questions.

Major +1 to the Phoenix Police Department for great police work. Home invasions and attempted dog poisonings ended suddenly and in a most entertaining way with BGs being laid out on the pavement, cuffed, at about 1300 on a nice warm day. :D:munchin

Thanks to those on this board for both the advice and the PM offers of help.

Pericles
09-28-2012, 16:05
I really like the way you think......;) ( He's in Phoenix, maybe I'll go "house-sit" for him......)

I've always admired professionals at work ....:)

Divemaster
09-28-2012, 22:59
It is now so bad with burglaries in my rural WA area that I carry concealed in my own home most of the time. Not living in fear, but the Mrs feels better when I'm armed. Also currently dealing with the aftermath of a break in at our other nearby home. Both properties are somewhat isolated and each on five rural acres. I now have motion activated game cameras on the perimeter of the other house (to record after the fact) and alarms working on both.

When I suspected perps were still inside the 2nd property I called 911. I had no family inside so me going in to clear the house would have been difficult to explain had a lethal force encounter ensued. Deputies went in, guns drawn, and cleared the house with nothing found other than property loss and some damage. I must say that each time LEO responed to that address and I informed them that I was armed, each deputy/officer was very cool with it. In fact, one deputy actually said "cool". I appreciate them not viewing an armed citizen as a threat.

Every time I've launched a round at another human being it has been outside the U.S. I never want that to happen on home soil. Sadly, I fear the risk of that happening is becoming greater.

My wife has a concealed carry permit and, while not as mentally prepared as her husband, is trained and convinced that she can pull the trigger in defense of her life.

Our rual oasis is sadly shrinking.

Divemaster
09-28-2012, 23:13
But to the OP, the advice given has been solid. In a perfect world, move elsewhere. But, as I've found, that world doesn't exist.

My advice? Have a plan and brief the entire family on the plan. Rehearse the plan with all hands. Make the master bedroom your safe room. The plan should include reaching for the phone with the hand that is not reaching for a weapon. Have 911 on the line sending help while you prepare to defend your family.

Once the entire family is protected behind your front sight, strong point your safe room. Do not trade cover to defend property. Things can be replaced, lives cannot.

Team Sergeant
09-29-2012, 16:04
But to the OP, the advice given has been solid. In a perfect world, move elsewhere. But, as I've found, that world doesn't exist.

My advice? Have a plan and brief the entire family on the plan. Rehearse the plan with all hands. Make the master bedroom your safe room. The plan should include reaching for the phone with the hand that is not reaching for a weapon. Have 911 on the line sending help while you prepare to defend your family.

Once the entire family is protected behind your front sight, strong point your safe room. Do not trade cover to defend property. Things can be replaced, lives cannot.

I agree with Divemaster, you need to have a plan, and everyone involved needs to know that plan.

When I was married (shutter) I told the wife that if anything went down to hit the floor and not to get up until I said so. That clears my fields of fire and anything left standing gets to meet me. A simple plan but a plan none the less.

Make a plan, and if you're not trained in CQB then let the fight come to you. Let them know you have a gun, "I have a shotgun and will use it." let's them know you mean business and will hopefully stop you from shooting your son, brother, friend etc when they come home late. I had an SF roommate years ago when I owned a house, when he came back from deployment and came in late he'd just yell his name once or twice when he opened the front door.

Make a plan, and train that plan.

Old Dog New Trick
09-29-2012, 20:38
But remember, no plan, no matter how great and rehearsed ahead of time survives first contact.

Have a plan "B", "C", and "Z", always "what if" your surroundings even in the house, backyard, or driveway.

Know when you (and your family) are at condition "white" (least prepared or ready to take any action.) Also, what constitutes condition "red" (fully prepared.)

Cake_14N
10-02-2012, 12:38
A ton of great information here. I would add two minor things...
1. When you call 911 and get them on the line don't hang up, just drop the phone if you need both hands on a weapon, everything said/shouted can be heard and recorded by the 911 system. Also, be sure to request a copy of the 911 tapes immediately if something does happen.
2. Tell everybody that visits your house the "House Rules". I have 3 kids and they have friends spend the night. They all get the lecture that if the alarm goes off, they will find the floor and become one with the ground because I will be exiting the masterbedroom armed, to secure my house. All children need to be in their rooms, preferably under their beds until I tell them to go to the safe room. I don't want to deal with friendlies wandering around the dark house making target ID more difficult. My 14 year old daughter gives the speech herself to all of her friends the first time they come over and knows it is a serious thing, not a joke.