PDA

View Full Version : New Stolen Valor Act tops list of vet-related bills before Congress

BMT (RIP)
09-11-2012, 10:51
His bill would make it illegal to falsely claim military medals “with the intent to obtain money, property or anything of value.”

http://www.stripes.com/new-stolen-valor-act-tops-list-of-vet-related-bills-before-congress-1.188906#.UE9cTjnjwUU.twitter

BMT

Team Sergeant
09-11-2012, 11:02
The VFW seems to be interested in only one side of the issue at hand. Claiming a MOS should also be part of the bill. Or making flase military claims “with the intent to obtain money, property or anything of value".

Claiming to be a Navy SEAL or Special Forces (aka Green Beret) soldier is a problem that will not go away even if they pass a false military medal bill.

orion5
09-11-2012, 11:16
His bill would make it illegal to falsely claim military medals “with the intent to obtain money, property or anything of value.”

Is a woman's virtue of value? How do you describe value?

Interesting that the rest of the legal world allows claims of mental/emotional/physical damage, but this will just be financial.

SF_BHT
09-11-2012, 12:17
Is a woman's virtue of value? How do you describe value?

Interesting that the rest of the legal world allows claims of mental/emotional/physical damage, but this will just be financial.

Depends on the Woman;)

Sorry I could not resist....
I am what I am.....:eek:

orion5
09-11-2012, 12:39
Depends on the Woman;)

Sorry I could not resist....
I am what I am.....:eek:

No worries. I remember what forum I am on. ;)

I know of a few cases where a woman, or an entire family, has been ruined by the poser's web of lies. I bristled at that word "value" related to property.

JoeEOD
09-12-2012, 17:45
I've got two main issues with stolen valor wannabes.

First, they're usually the ones telling the lurid baby killer war stories and defame all of us who served honorably by giving the public that image.

Second, they make you question the claims of the deserving. If someone showed me my Dad's silver star citation from WW II today ( I first saw it hidden in his sock drawer aound 1960) The alarm bells would go off and I'd be saying that this is too good to be true.

Sigaba
09-12-2012, 18:22
In addition to the points JoeED raises in his post, I will add that military frauds who actually served in the armed forces undermine public confidence in the American professions of arms overall.

I don't need to know what I don't need to know because I trust the professionalism and the character of warriors. I have confidence that the culture of warriors serves the public good--even though that culture is beyond my comprehension.

However, if frauds continue to get away with their lies, it is only a matter of time before those who do their duty with honor get painted with increasingly broad brush strokes.

My $0.02.

Team Sergeant
09-13-2012, 10:41
You must mean that lying bottom feeding scumbag that is the senator for Massachusetts, john kerry. A fraud success story.

I've got two main issues with stolen valor wannabes.

First, they're usually the ones telling the lurid baby killer war stories and defame all of us who served honorably by giving the public that image.

Second, they make you question the claims of the deserving. If someone showed me my Dad's silver star citation from WW II today ( I first saw it hidden in his sock drawer aound 1960) The alarm bells would go off and I'd be saying that this is too good to be true.

JoeEOD
09-13-2012, 14:52
Yep, old "JFK" is certainly a prime example of the type. The winter soldier "hearings" were a collosal smear job that along with Hollywood movies like Rambo portrayed all vet's as homicidal drug addled sociopaths ready to run amok at the least provocation. Yet, why is it that running amok is called "going postal" rather than going vet??

I like to mess with the minds of the doctors at work (a VA hospital) by pointing out to them that many of the Vets coming into our hospital have not only been trained to kill but, have done so! I then challenge them to name a single case in the 40 years since Vietnam of Vietnam vet going Rambo.

I will admit to fleeing the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts when I put my hand in the air within days of my 18th birthday. So, don't blame me for Kerry. And, I can't very well bad mouth Teddy Kennedy because he gave my little brother his appointment to the air farce academy after passing on my petition to go to Hudson High.:D

mark46th
09-13-2012, 16:32
I can bad-mouth Teddy Kennedy, anytime-anywhere. Not only did he make us get out of SE Asia but he led the vote to cut off the supplies to the South Vietnamese government that had repelled two North Vietnamese Spring Offensives... I hope that drunken, murdering little prick is burning in Hell...

alelks
09-13-2012, 16:51
Looks like it passed the House: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-09-13/house-passes-bill-to-replace-stolen-valor-act.html

Sigaba
09-13-2012, 17:17
The winter soldier "hearings" were a colossal smear job[.]For members or readers of this BB who are unfamiliar with Mr. Kerry's testimony, or have any doubts about JoeEOD's assessment, a transcript of Kerry's testimony is attached to this post.

To be absolutely clear, I think it is imperative for our society to debate openly matters of war and peace, to ask tough questions of ourselves and of the armed services that defend our freedom. At the same time, I believe it is equally incumbent upon Americans to make sure that these conversations remain civil, informed, and timely, and that matters of opinion not be presented as matters of fact.

miclo18d
09-13-2012, 18:56
Kerry was also mentioned in the book Stolen Valor. IIRC Burkett actually went to talk to Kerry in his senatorial office and saw his SS on the wall. The same SS that he threw in protest, over the White House fence, during Winter Soldier. When asked about it, Kerry then said the one he threw over the fence was a buddy's SS that died or something. (I read it early 2000's). Burkett wasn't very pleased with the BS that Kerry was spewing.

Team Sergeant
09-14-2012, 11:56
For members or readers of this BB who are unfamiliar with Mr. Kerry's testimony, or have any doubts about JoeEOD's assessment, a transcript of Kerry's testimony is attached to this post.

To be absolutely clear, I think it is imperative for our society to debate openly matters of war and peace, to ask tough questions of ourselves and of the armed services that defend our freedom. At the same time, I believe it is equally incumbent upon Americans to make sure that these conversations remain civil, informed, and timely, and that matters of opinion not be presented as matters of fact.

Sigaba, I could not agree more and with that I would say that as a Jr. officer john kerry did not have access to the information he was giving before congress. I have read much of what he spoke about and as a Sr. NCO with twenty years in the service I would say without a doubt Lt. john kerry testimony is 99% pure bullshit. But then again most veterans know john kerry is nothing more than a lying bottom-feeding liberal.

JoeEOD
09-15-2012, 08:41
Statements in the political arena supported by facts and not self-serving!?!

Alas, for the lost golden age.

alelks
12-03-2012, 21:26
Looks like it passed: http://www.armytimes.com/news/2012/12/military-senate-passes-revised-stolen-valor-act-120312/

alelks
03-21-2013, 18:44
Update: http://www.kpbs.org/news/2013/jan/16/stolen-valor-act-2013-introduced/

Utah Bob
03-21-2013, 20:58
Update: http://www.kpbs.org/news/2013/jan/16/stolen-valor-act-2013-introduced/

Anything more current than Jan 16?

alelks
03-21-2013, 21:04
Yep!

http://heck.house.gov/press-release/heck-applauds-committee-passage-stolen-valor-act