PDA

View Full Version : Selling mouse kebabs on Malawi's roads

Pete
09-04-2012, 04:49
Selling mouse kebabs on Malawi's roads

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-19466229

"Food prices around the world are rising. Drought in the farming states of the American midwest and poor crops in eastern Europe have pushed up the cost of corn and wheat....................."

Think about this story the next time you pull into the drive through for some fast food. Contrast it to a Malawi "drive through".

mark46th
09-04-2012, 08:28
I've eaten worse. I blame the Mekong.

miclo18d
09-04-2012, 10:19
For those that haven't been to the SOUTHCOM AOR, don't forget to get some CUY (Coo-ee) on your trip to Machu Picchu! It's not a far leap from "Mouse-kebabs"

If the fist pic looks familiar it may be the fact that your kids could have one for a pet; see second pic.

I enjoyed it!

mojaveman
09-04-2012, 18:16
While Paris was under seige during the Franco-Prussian war of 1870 the Parisians resorted to eating dogs, cats, rats, pigeons, etc. Being proper French they prepared them by gourmet cooking with rich and flavorful sauces. Protein is protein. I guess it's all in how it's prepared.

Mouse kebabs? Gut them and then barbeque with some good sauce? Garlic and butter? Smoke them over Hickory chips?

abc_123
09-05-2012, 03:06
For those that haven't been to the SOUTHCOM AOR, don't forget to get some CUY (Coo-ee) on your trip to Machu Picchu! It's not a far leap from "Mouse-kebabs"

If the fist pic looks familiar it may be the fact that your kids could have one for a pet; see second pic.

I enjoyed it!

Had 'em halved on a stick in Cochabamba. Needed a little more salt. I bet they would be really good with some Jess Hall's!

Ate some baby rabbits too. Kinda weird. The bones were crunchy.

Flagg
09-05-2012, 16:43
I ate some fried bugs and a meat like substance from some sort of furry creature in Cambodia.....not exactly my favorite meals.

3rd world roadside donuts can be pretty good...not Dunkin' Donuts/Krispy Kreme or Timmy Hortons...but not bad.

But I have to admit about the BEST thing I've ever drank from the roadside in the 3rd world is some mashed up sugar cane juice in a small bag of ice for about 5 cents.

It was gastrointestinal russian roulette, but I went back for seconds.

Good point about rising food prices though.......I think in the west we pay on average about 11% of our income on food.....in the 3rd world I think it averages over 50%.

Prices rise relative to wage inflation by 50% in the west, people complain.

Prices rise relative to wage inflation by 50% in the 3rd world, people riot & die

Oldrotorhead
09-05-2012, 16:54
Had 'em halved on a stick in Cochabamba. Needed a little more salt. I bet they would be really good with some Jess Hall's!

Ate some baby rabbits too. Kinda weird. The bones were crunchy.

I had them is Cuzco near the Plaza, in Cochabamba I ate fish. Both were good if I had to make a choice the fish would be second place. What ever gave me food poisoning in Lima is the last thing I want to eat again.

Dohhunter
09-06-2012, 09:02
Every so often I'll do a round of sweet and sour squirrel when they get fat enough off of the deer feed. Easier to hit 'em too.

I may be a minority up here.

Team Sergeant
09-06-2012, 10:02
I've eaten worse. I blame the Mekong.

I'm glad I'm not alone....;)

1stindoor
09-06-2012, 11:53
Every so often I'll do a round of sweet and sour squirrel when they get fat enough off of the deer feed. Easier to hit 'em too.

I may be a minority up here.

I haven't had squirrel in years, but Dad and I used to get about eleventy million of them and then make stew. Good eatin'...just not a lot of meat on 'em.

Sdiver
09-06-2012, 12:07
Aww Heck !!! :rolleyes:

Just go any County or State Fair BELOW the Mason/Dixon line and you'll chow down on some WEIRD stuff.

All ya gotta do is deep fry it ....and along with a cold beer ... Mmm Mmm Good. :D

s
09-07-2012, 03:02
Rodents have been eaten for ages. I don't see where the breaking news is. :confused: