PDA

View Full Version : What your favorite steak says about you


BMT (RIP)
08-30-2012, 12:23
This about right?

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/08/30/what-your-favorite-steak-says-about/

BMT

Team Sergeant
08-30-2012, 13:00
Omaha steaks are terrible steaks. And the article leaves out some other very nice "steaks". I'm sure Todd Simon mentioned just the steaks that Omaha sells.......

Missing is the king of steaks, the porterhouse! (As well as smaller steak versions)

If you're going to do steak get bone in steaks, they are the best.

And if you like your steak well done stick with the "Top Sirloins" they are cheaper and taste just the same as a more costly steak when you cook them to death. ;)

I'll take med rare bone in rib-eye 2 inches thick any day. Dry aged! Just salt and pepper.

Richard
08-30-2012, 13:04
Grilled flank steak or ribeye steak with a Perini Ranch southwest rub for me, thank you.

Richard :munchin

bandycpa
08-30-2012, 14:06
My 12 year old son and I decided to tackle grilling this summer. Mrs. B gave me a grilling book as a gift, and it seemed like a shame to let it go to waste.

A couple of things you should know about us. First, the 12 year old has mild high-functioning autism. He is managing quite well. Second, both he and I are super-literal people.

So, we began with NY strips. Virgin olive oil, salt, and pepper were all we used for seasoning. We used *40* charcoal briquets (because that's what the Kingsford bag said to use...again, super-literal). We waited for the "2 second test" (if you can hold your hand over the grill for more than 2 seconds, it isn't hot enough yet), and then put our steaks on direct heat for 2-4 minutes per side (going from the "10 o'clock" to the "2 o'clock" position halfway through each side so we could get the sear marks on the steak). 4-6 minutes of indirect heat, and we were good to go. Steaks came out medium-rare...just the way we like it, and just the way the book said it would.

When the wife watched us grilling, she said "You know, you're supposed to just throw the meat on the grill, walk away, come back, turn it once, walk away again, and come back when it's finished."

This did not compute. Too many variables in that formula.

Good times with the big guy, and we ate a lot of steak this summer. :)

PSM
08-30-2012, 14:59
Missing is the king of steaks, the porterhouse! (As well as smaller steak versions)

If you're going to do steak get bone in steaks, they are the best.



Totally agree! When we can find them, we'll get a 1 1/2" to 2" steak, cook it to medium rare, then split it. I take the tenderloin and my wife gets the short loin with the bone.

Now I'm hungry again. ;)

Pat

cbtengr
08-30-2012, 16:36
Omaha steaks are terrible steaks. And the article leaves out some other very nice "steaks".

Certainly not worth the price.

And if you like your steak well done stick with the "Top Sirloins" they are cheaper and taste just the same as a more costly steak when you cook them to death. ;)

Marinated and properly prepared which to me means on the rare side a good grilled sirloin is hard to beat for the money.

I'll take med rare bone in rib-eye 2 inches thick any day. Dry aged! Just salt and pepper.
At 2" thick some folks would think they are looking at a roast, you know how to live!

Kyobanim
08-30-2012, 17:12
My favorite steak is a free one. What does that say about me. :D

You don't get to each much steak?

Barbarian
08-30-2012, 17:16
My favorite steak is a free one. What does that say about me.

That's just way too easy. I'm gonna pass.:p

Golf1echo
08-30-2012, 17:31
Grilled flank steak or ribeye steak with a Perini Ranch southwest rub for me, thank you.

Richard :munchin

They both sound great, my mouth is watering. What does the Perini Ranch southwest rub taste like?

I hate to mention this and have stopped telling people locally because now they are harder to find but since I am unaware of any local forum members my favorite steak is a Choice Chuck Eye, preferably about an 1 1/2" Grilled with good wood coals. It is full of flavoring with good marbling and has the texture I enjoy...

Gypsy
08-30-2012, 18:11
Bone in ribeye for me! I also love grilled flank steaks.

Buffalobob
08-30-2012, 18:44
Now that I am retired I don't buy steak any more. I just shoot what I want and cut it the way I like. :D

PSM
08-30-2012, 19:00
Now that I am retired I don't buy steak any more. I just shoot what I want and cut it the way I like. :D

Hunting steers and heifers doesn't seem very sporting. ;)

Pat

Richard
08-30-2012, 19:08
Hunting steers and heifers doesn't seem very sporting.

It can be in Texas where people take their 2nd Amendment rights seriously and don't take a hankerin' to rustlers. ;)

Richard :munchin

Rob_Frey
08-30-2012, 21:50
Bone-LESS ribeye for me!

PSM
08-30-2012, 23:30
It can be in Texas where people take their 2nd Amendment rights seriously and don't take a hankerin' to rustlers. ;)

Richard :munchin

Hey now! Rustlers are dang good eatin', ma dawg sez. :D

Pat

tonyz
08-31-2012, 08:09
Rib-eye - grilled. Olive oil, sea salt, fresh cracked black pepper.

mojaveman
08-31-2012, 17:20
Fillet Mignon, butterfly cut and medium rare. Steamed vegetables with butter and garlic sauce on the side.

mark46th
09-03-2012, 20:50
Try hunting a longhorn in the mesquite..

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsRSc8I-KUA

Badger52
09-06-2012, 10:42
Back when I was a little kid I preferred a good burger but once enroute from Van Nuys back to Tejas (every summer) we stopped at a place in New Mexico for a big night out. I think the folks just expected some left over but they ordered me a steak that spilled over the plate and looked like nothing I'd had before. I caught hell for not eatin' my other stuff; but no meat left for the doggie bag.

I remembered 2 things the next day as we continued east:

- it was called a Porterhouse and,
- them was some BIG cows, they were wiiiide and built low to the ground.

After that, anything else, isn't.
:cool:

Hand
09-06-2012, 12:58
I just tried one of these this weekend and was absolutely floored.
I ate one for dinner.
Made a sandwich out of a second one for breakfast and lunch the next day and then licked the bottom of the container for dessert.

Freds Steak (http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cookbook:Fred_Steak)