PDA

View Full Version : Gun ID legislation may trigger exodus of gunmakers Remington, Colt

Team Sergeant
08-28-2012, 18:15
The world is full of idiots and Michelle Schimel is one of them. I hope Remington packs up and leaves the state of NY.

Gun ID legislation may trigger exodus of gunmakers Remington, Colt
By Joshua Rhett Miller

Published August 28, 2
Two venerable American gun manufacturers — Remington and Colt — could head for the West their weapons helped win if New York and Connecticut force them to implement microstamping technology.

Microstamping, or ballistic imprinting, is a patented process that uses laser technology to engrave a tiny marking of the make, model and serial number on the tip of a gun’s firing pin to allow an imprint of that information on spent cartridge cases. Supporters of the technology say it will be a “game changer,” allowing authorities to quickly identify the registered guns used in crimes. Opponents claim the process is costly, unreliable and may ultimately impact the local economies that heavily depend on the gun industry, including Ilion, N.Y., where Remington Arms maintains a factory, and Hartford, Conn., where Colt's manufacturing is headquartered.

“Mandatory microstamping would have an immediate impact of a loss of 50 jobs,” New York State Sen. James Seward, a Republican whose district includes Ilion, said, adding that Remington employs 1,100 workers in the town. “You’re talking about a company that has options in other states. Why should they be in a state that’s hostile to legal gun manufacturing? There could be serious negative economic impact with the passage of microstamping and other gun-control laws.”

"Why should they be in a state that’s hostile to legal gun manufacturing? There could be serious negative economic impact with the passage of microstamping and other gun control laws.”
- State Senator James Seward

In March, prior to the recent mass shootings at a movie theater in Aurora, Colo., a Sikh temple in Wisconsin and at New York’s iconic Empire State Building, Remington executive Stephen Jackson wrote to New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo warning forced microstamping could prompt the company to “reconsider its commitment to the New York market altogether rather than spend the astronomical sums of money” necessary to reconfigure its manufacturing and assembly processes.

Ilion Mayor John Stephens told FoxNews.com he believes the company, which has had suitors in several Midwest states with less restrictive gun laws, was not bluffing. Stephens also said the microstamping proposal is bad legislation.

“I don’t think it would help anything," Stephens said. "It would probably be more of a hindrance than anything else. A criminal is going to obtain a weapon if they want to obtain a weapon. This is a downstate ploy, it’s downstate politics.”

The closure of Remington’s plant in the 8,000-resident village would be a “huge hit” to the local economy, Stephens said, and suggested that New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg — and other politicians supporting stricter gun-control measures — are off the mark.

Meanwhile, in Connecticut, similar microstamping legislation has long been opposed by Colt, whose executives have claimed the “feel-good legislation” would drive gun manufacturers out of the state.

Erich Pratt, spokesman for Gun Owners of America, said companies -- and indeed industries -- leave when they believe the business climate is hostile. He cited the car industry.

“It used to be Detroit and only Detroit, but now they’re opening up shops all along the South,” Pratt told FoxNews.com. “If they’re not going to be pro-business, then they’re going to lose those jobs. They’re making a bottom line decision: At what point does it become more cost-effective to leave the state?”

New York Assemblywoman Michelle Schimel, a Democrat and the chief sponsor of the microstamping legislation on semiautomatic pistols that was last considered by the state’s full Senate in 2010, said she believes Remington’s vow is merely a threat.

cont:
Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/08/28/microstamping-legislation-may-lead-remington-colt-to-relocate/#ixzz24tCgI7zH012
FoxNews.com

MTN Medic
08-28-2012, 18:29
The irony is, that the reason that this could possibly pass is because of the recent mass shootings stated in the article; shootings where the shooter had no intentions of getting away with it.

The legislators will cite many shootings in urban areas and how many of them are unsolved, though arguably all of them would be still unsolved as the majority of those guns are stolen.

If I were to murder someone, I wouldn't use my own gun. I would steal one. So, in addition to not solving ANY more shooting cases, you are going to have gun theft go through the roof and the associated gun trafficking and related violence that follows ANY prohibition.

Even in crimes of passion where the gun would be used without thinking, these crimes are usually fairly easy to prosecute; unless your name is OJ of course.... :rolleyes:

This is clearly a stepping stone to greater control of firearms. Lets call a spade a spade and quit with the games. If these clowns weren't so (unsuccessfully) covert about their intentions, we could have a civil discourse but alas, we are relegated to vitriolic rants from both sides where tensions will rise indefinitely...

:munchin

The Reaper
08-28-2012, 18:48
Okay, I guess the intent is so that you can match up cartridge cases from crime scenes with guns of unknown ownership.

First, each fired case already has a distinctive signature.

Second, the data will only tell you when and to whom the gun was originally sold. The BATF does not keep a database of firearms serial numbers with owner's names. That is expressly prohibited by law.

Third, very few criminals go to the local gun store and buy an handgun. As most have felonious criminal records, that would be rejected by the NICS system, and red flagged for arrest. I suspect that most firearms used in violent crimes are stolen. Most criminals leave other traces at crime scenes anyway. Why not just take everyone's DNA when they are born?

Fourth, this will only work for weapons that eject fired cases. That means semi-autos only, unless multiple shots are fired. A revolver will leave no cases unless it is emptied at the scene.

Fifth, it does not take a genius to buff the face of the firing pin, or replace it completely. That can be done in less than ten seconds, with an AR-15, for example.

Finally, there are more than 300,000,000 firearms in private hands in the US, or roughly one per resident. How are you going to make a dent in that?

This is similar to the concept of serial numbering bullets and cases. Only practical in the twisted minds of the simpletons who came up with the stupid ideas. Like the VPC members.

BTW, in case the idiots behind this effort were unaware, Winchester left Connecticut a few years ago and the Remington Corporate HQs is already in NC. I am sure the local area would be more than happy to have 1,100 new jobs, and the libtard politicians wouldn't have to hold their noses when the took the bloody tax money from the gun companies. As far as that goes, Remington still has a union manufacturing facility in NY, Colt's and Ruger are in CT, and S&W is in Mass. All good skilled labor jobs we would be proud to call home here, and apparently unwanted and actively legislated and litigated against in their "home" states.

Come on down!

TR

Badger52
08-29-2012, 06:17
Having already passed the NY Assembly, NY residents need to begin working to make this thing DOA at any final vote.

We went through this back in 2008 with the micro-stamping of bullets. A small amount of decent detective work revealed that the company marketing the capability had hired a lobbyist from a law-firm as their spokesman. So Briahna Taylor was going around to legislators with the usual (suspect) pure motives when in fact she was a shill for ACS. What better way to market your stupid innovation than to get legi-critters to mandate its use.

Follow the money.
:rolleyes:

Edit: If any of the companies who've had enough wish to re-locate a plant or two to Wisconsin, our Lt. Gov's office will be happy to take their call.

TiroFijo
08-29-2012, 06:33
Microstamping is for the politicians that want to sell smoke and mirrors to the gun illiterate masses, and for the greedy bastards behind the money that will cost this useless crap.

Anybody with half a brain can turn a gun with microstamping in firing pin, ejector, extractor, etc. and forensic record of cases and rifling marks into an clean one in no time.

Stargazer
08-29-2012, 07:01
To me this is all the more reason that everyday citizens who possess the knowledge must raise the level of awareness with those who do not. As the saying goes... "the pen is mightier than the sword"... not sure that is true in all instances but there is no denying it's power............

Badger52
08-29-2012, 08:32
Anybody with half a brain can turn a gun with microstamping in firing pin, ejector, extractor, etc. and forensic record of cases and rifling marks into an clean one in no time.Nearly everyone understands that; that's why the critters are being advised by more savvy people to include language in the law that creates another class of criminal - one who defaces/modifies/whatever, the firing mechanism to circumvent the law.

Malum prohibitum ad nauseum

The writing to the legi-critters only goes so far; "moderates" who still "pander" to working-class folk, even a Dem senator in my area, will realize it's bad juju for them to vote for such a thing when presented with logic. The backers of such stuff will not be swayed because they will never tolerate the spotlight of having been someone's tool.

Destrier
08-29-2012, 08:48
So, a bad guy goes to a range, picks up a few of your brass and drops them on a crime scene.

TiroFijo
08-29-2012, 09:35
Nearly everyone understands that; that's why the critters are being advised by more savvy people to include language in the law that creates another class of criminal - one who defaces/modifies/whatever, the firing mechanism to circumvent the law.
Malum prohibitum ad nauseum

The writing to the legi-critters only goes so far; "moderates" who still "pander" to working-class folk, even a Dem senator in my area, will realize it's bad juju for them to vote for such a thing when presented with logic. The backers of such stuff will not be swayed because they will never tolerate the spotlight of having been someone's tool.

Will firing the gun be also considered defacing? Because simple firing long enough of steel cases (even brass) y some kind of bullets (with hard jackets, with grit, dust, etc.) will also wear the microstamps and barrel. And we all know that extractors, ejectors, firing pins and even barrels are wear parts that eventually need replacing. You would need a special document to replace these parts and have similar microstamps added on then, talk about time and money and opportunity for blunders. AND you would need to send the entire gun regularly for accurate forensic records of cases and bullets.

Yeah, it would be a "game changer" one way or the other... :mad:

Team Sergeant
08-29-2012, 10:09
So, a bad guy goes to a range, picks up a few of your brass and drops them on a crime scene.

I like the way you think......:munchin

Badger52
08-29-2012, 11:05
So, a bad guy goes to a range, picks up a few of your brass and drops them on a crime scene.Nice, that didn't take long. :D There you go; willing to go down the dark tunnel, projecting motives onto people you've never met, motives that lead to actions that you don't want to talk about yourself...
How many defense attorneys would rub their hands in anticipation?
Know someone deserving that you'd really like to jam up?

One of the states (forget which) gave up not too long ago on handgun case-collection/cataloging and actually admitted to the effect that "after millions & millions of dollars and hundreds of millions of cases collected" in all that time it had only led to a "possible connection" in one case and had, as we all know boys & girls, done zero to prevent anything.

Quit electing stupid critters please.

BOfH
08-29-2012, 12:46
Nice, that didn't take long. :D There you go; willing to go down the dark tunnel, projecting motives onto people you've never met, motives that lead to actions that you don't want to talk about yourself...

One of the states (forget which) gave up not too long ago on handgun case-collection/cataloging and actually admitted to the effect that "after millions & millions of dollars and hundreds of millions of cases collected" in all that time it had only led to a "possible connection" in one case and had, as we all know boys & girls, done zero to prevent anything.

Quit electing stupid critters please.

NY, they canned CoBIS, which was a complete waste. This bill will probably die in the NY Senate, however, I still think Remington should up and leave, just to stick it to Bloomberg: you didn't build that, you destroyed it.

ETA: Unfortunately, the Dem critters will keep on winning, a combination of NYC's collective stupidity, crony capitalism and voter fraud. Sounds familiar, doesn't it? Unfortunately, NY(C) will probably never be able to get away from it's politically corrupt roots. It's a funny thing, considering that some of the Federalist papers were addressed to the people of NY.

Badger52
08-29-2012, 13:04
NY, they canned CoBIS, which was a complete waste.Thanks; up here you can still have CRS. :D

Team Sergeant
08-29-2012, 13:15
Nice, that didn't take long. :D There you go; willing to go down the dark tunnel, projecting motives onto people you've never met, motives that lead to actions that you don't want to talk about yourself...

One of the states (forget which) gave up not too long ago on handgun case-collection/cataloging and actually admitted to the effect that "after millions & millions of dollars and hundreds of millions of cases collected" in all that time it had only led to a "possible connection" in one case and had, as we all know boys & girls, done zero to prevent anything.Quit electing stupid critters please.

Are you talking about bullet casings or the Department of Homeland Security? :munchin

Destrier
08-29-2012, 15:12
Went to my local NY Representatives office in town, Steve Hawley. His office clerk relates, "He is pro gun, anti NYS idiocy'. Left my name and number, Tasked him with convincing the rest down in Albany.

destrier out

BOfH
08-29-2012, 15:27
Went to my local NY Representatives office in town, Steve Hawley. His office clerk relates, "He is pro gun, anti NYS idiocy'. Left my name and number, Tasked him with convincing the rest down in Albany.

destrier out

Thanks!

Unfortunately my local NY Senate rep(Malcolm Smith) is completely anti-2A. My Assembly rep(Goldfeder) voted yes and did not respond to an email I sent before the vote, probably never will.

longrange1947
08-29-2012, 15:29
Problem is that the closing of the plants is exactly their goal, so that is not a negative in their minds. :munchin

I love the idea of getting a spare and then putting in a clean pin to do my deed and then re-install the "stamped" pin to show I am in compliance. :D

Who said that criminals follow the law, idiots all.

tonyz
08-29-2012, 15:53
If this type of thing passes...entire tables of "pre-ban" pins, etc., at a few gunshows and online.

Politicians...:eek:

Badger52
08-29-2012, 15:54
Are you talking about bullet casings or the Department of Homeland Security? :munchinTomato, to-mah-to.
:)

Noslack71
08-29-2012, 17:03
I like the way you think......:munchin

Maybe revolver sales will pick up!

No Slack 71:)